Cute Chess 0.9.0 (GUI) released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

gbtami

Re: Cute Chess 0.9.0 (GUI) released

Post by gbtami »

Norbert Raimund Leisner wrote:Hello Ilari,

I cannot implement external WB/UCI compatible into CuteChess 0.9.0 with the menu game/new/. My OS is Windows 7 x64 SP1.

The default setting is human vs. human , but I cannot use the option CPU vs. human, human vs. CPU or CPU vs. CPU.

The screen "freezes" and nothing happens. What can be done in your opinion? I think it would be a good idea to include current Sloppy edition
as a component of your interface.

Best wishes,
Norbert
You have to add some engines in Window->Settings->Engines tab first.
gbtami

Post by gbtami »

Evert wrote:
ilari wrote:
Ferdy wrote:There seems to be a problem installing the Sjaak II 1.3.1a engine after pressing advanced tab.
I can reproduce that - Cute Chess can't handle Sjaak in Xboard mode and goes crazy. But in UCI mode I could install Sjaak without problems.

I'll try to fix this bug later today.
Sjaak II makes extensive use of newer CECP features, and it cuts a corner or two as well. It's possible that there is an issue there; if you can reproduce the problem, you could also send me a copy of the GUI/engine interaction so I can test it here.

No combination of input should hang or crash an engine, so in that sense this is a problem with Sjaak II that needs to be fixed on my end...

EDIT: unrelated, but it would be interesting to know if playing variants in UCI mode works correctly; this is something I've never really been able to test.
Regarding variants in UCI mode, I'v quick tested it with pychess playing some crazyhouse and makruk and all went well.
ilari

Post by ilari »

Krzysztof Grzelak wrote:Thank you very much. I have a question what to do to show that the program uses tablebase Gaviota, Nalimova, Syzygy.
Do you want to set an engine to use tablebases or do you want Cute Chess to adjudicate games with tablebases? Cute Chess only supports Gaviota tablebase adjudication - you can set the Gaviota tablebases path in the Settings dialog.

If you want to configure an engine to use tablebases you can do that on the "Advanced" tab of the engine configuration dialog.
brianr

Post by brianr »

Perhaps "Settings" should be a top-level menu item along with Game, Tournament, View, etc...
Krzysztof Grzelak

Post by Krzysztof Grzelak »

ilari wrote:Do you want to set an engine to use tablebases or do you want Cute Chess to adjudicate games with tablebases? Cute Chess only supports Gaviota tablebase adjudication - you can set the Gaviota tablebases path in the Settings dialog.

If you want to configure an engine to use tablebases you can do that on the "Advanced" tab of the engine configuration dialog.
I understand and thank you. It's a shame that you can not add an extra tab " TBs " So that the program showed that the use of tablebase. It would be a cool thing in the program and a lot of people to have seen it work tablebase.
Ferdy

Re: Cute Chess 0.9.1 released

Post by Ferdy »

ilari wrote:Thanks to everyone for being willing to beta-test Cute Chess. I've now fixed the major bugs that were found and released version 0.9.1: https://github.com/cutechess/cutechess/ ... /gui-0.9.1

There will most likely be more bugs, but at this point it's best to release fixes quickly so that's what I'm doing.
* KO result score works now.
* Installation of Sjaak II 1.3.1a as winboard engine works now.
* Engine score is now displayed for 2-engine gauntlet tour
Krzysztof Grzelak

Post by Krzysztof Grzelak »

Thank you very much for the new version. Several things in the program would have improved.

1. Added bookmark TB Hits. It would be good to know that the work tablebase Nalimov,Gaviota, Syzygy
2. Change the game save. For example, the moves next to each other 1. d4 e6 2. c4 f5 3. g3 Nf6 4. Bg2 Be7 5. Nc3 d5 6. Nf3 c6 7. O-O O-O 8. b3 Qe8 9. Bb2 Nbd7 10. e3 b6 11. Ne2 Ne4 . But also allow to enable or disable rating and time movement in the game.
3. Do not numbered chess engines in options Engine debug.
4.The last option I will not write because she had NEVER in the program is not created.
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

Little glitch/bug when playing as Human:

E.g. one needs to drop the K at h1 instead of g1 for short castling, which is unusual. (Needed some time to figure it out despite the move hint)
Haven't tested yet how it does it for long castling and if the bug is mirrored for the other color.

Congrats for the first release!

Guenther

A note:
The engines.json file saves so much info now, that it seems impossible to create just a macro/script for a mass import from other GUIs e.g. Winboard.
(I hate to create several 1000s of entries manually)

Related to this: It seems there exists no default GUI settings (yet?) dialogue for setting hash/threads generally and all must be set in the specific engines settings?
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

It seems there is no dialogue to open saved PGN files with Cute Chess.
Is this intended?

It would be also nice to have an autosave dialogue for games played
outside the tournament dialogue.

Guenther
PK

Post by PK »

either I'm missing something or in Windows distribution options for running an engine are greyed-out and inactive (in "new game" tab)