How do I change the name of the engine.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Krzysztof Grzelak

How do I change the name of the engine.

Post by Krzysztof Grzelak »

How do I change the name of the engine in Fritz. For example, I want to change the name Critter_1.6a_64 bit on Critter 1.6a x64 during installation in program Fritz.
yurikvelo

Re: How do I change the name of the engine.

Post by yurikvelo »

it's not possible during installation wizard, only after

http://immortalchess.net/forum/archive/ ... -6259.html
K I Hyams

Post by K I Hyams »

Krzysztof Grzelak wrote:How do I change the name of the engine in Fritz. For example, I want to change the name Critter_1.6a_64 bit on Critter 1.6a x64 during installation in program Fritz.
In the past, I have used a hex editor for this sort of thing. You can download freeware hex editors from the internet. Open the executable in a hex editor, look for the name, make the changes that you need and save. The name often appears in more than one place, so use the hex editor's search facility to find the lot.
Krzysztof Grzelak

K I Hyams wrote:In the past, I have used a hex editor for this sort of thing. You can download freeware hex editors from the internet. Open the executable in a hex editor, look for the name, make the changes that you need and save. The name often appears in more than one place, so use the hex editor's search facility to find the lot.
I tried to do that, unfortunately, during the installation of the engine error occurs.
yurikvelo

Post by yurikvelo »

Krzysztof Grzelak wrote:
K I Hyams wrote:In the past, I have used a hex editor for this sort of thing. You can download freeware hex editors from the internet. Open the executable in a hex editor, look for the name, make the changes that you need and save. The name often appears in more than one place, so use the hex editor's search facility to find the lot.
I tried to do that, unfortunately, during the installation of the engine error occurs.
probably " " space char cannot be used instead [a-Z0-9] chars in HEX
Krzysztof Grzelak

yurikvelo wrote:probably " " space char cannot be used instead [a-Z0-9] chars in HEX
I understand and thank you, but unfortunately still not able to load the engine.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

SzG wrote:
Krzysztof Grzelak wrote:How do I change the name of the engine in Fritz. For example, I want to change the name Critter_1.6a_64 bit on Critter 1.6a x64 during installation in program Fritz.
You can't because Fritz insists that the name must include the string which the engine reports of itself.
I do it afterwards, editing the uci file which Fritz creates.
That's the way I used to do it too.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Krzysztof Grzelak

SzG wrote:You can't because Fritz insists that the name must include the string which the engine reports of itself.
I do it afterwards, editing the uci file which Fritz creates.
In the end we can do or not.