Just a moment of your time, please.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

sje

Post by sje »

It was back in 1967 when I was a ten year old and my father James introduced me to chess. We were on vacation in Yellowstone National Park and he had given me a dollar to spend at a souvenir store where I bought a small peg chess set made from green and white plastic. Somehow I was able to figure out how to play from the tiny instruction manual, although I think I skipped the parts about castling and en passant. I was unable to decipher the descriptive chess notation rules.

One thing led to another, and my dad's dollar and forethought is what led to several open source chess programs, SAN/FEN/EPD/PGN, the first public tablebase generator, and other free chess stuff.

My father passed away last night. If you've benefited in any way by what he started long ago, please give a moment's thought of appreciation for him and his gift to me.
bob

Re: Just a moment of your time, please.

Post by bob »

sje wrote:Just a moment of your time, please.

It was back in 1967 when I was a ten year old and my father James introduced me to chess. We were on vacation in Yellowstone National Park and he had given me a dollar to spend at a souvenir store where I bought a small peg chess set made from green and white plastic. Somehow I was able to figure out how to play from the tiny instruction manual, although I think I skipped the parts about castling and en passant. I was unable to decipher the descriptive chess notation rules.

One thing led to another, and my dad's dollar and forethought is what led to several open source chess programs, SAN/FEN/EPD/PGN, the first public tablebase generator, and other free chess stuff.

My father passed away last night. If you've benefited in any way by what he started long ago, please give a moment's thought of appreciation for him and his gift to me.
I've certainly benefitted and hope that he rests in peace. Interestingly, I picked up chess almost the exact same way. We were driving from my grandparents in south Mississippi to Jackson TN when I was about 6 or so. We stopped at the local drug store when we left, and he came back out with a plastic chess set. Had a clear top, the cheapo peg type pieces, not very recognizable pieces either. I fiddled with it all the way to Jackson (about 320 miles back when there were no interstates or 4-lane roads.) The only subtle point I missed was knights. I thought you had to advance the knight pawn before a knight could "slide out". :)

In any case, that was my start as well...

My dad's been gone for 25 years, my mother for over 10. I know the pain you are feeling... And vestiges of it will remain forever.
gerold

Post by gerold »

Sorry for your loss Steven.

Gerold.
jdart

Post by jdart »

I am sorry for your loss.

My father taught me chess at about the same age.

He also encouraged my interests in math and science.

When I was a teenager he went to some place in LA, I don't even know where, and came back with a bunch of IBM manuals, including Fortran and assembly language references. And I read the damn things and, having wrangled an account at the local university, was soon submitting punch cards into the IBM 370 job queue.

He also used to drive over an hour to take me to the physics colloquium at Caltech. I understood about 5% of it. I am pretty sure my Dad was understanding about 0%. But I was glad he took me. Later I applied there and graduated in '78.

--Jon
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Thanks for sharing Steven. Not only your awesome little personal story on your foray into chess - but for everything you have contributed freely to our world. Very much appreciated here. A dollar well spent as they say. Having lost both my parents - my Dad now almost 16 years ago and my Mom 7 years ago, I can certainly feel your pain. For those that find comfort in the Bible , John 14:1-4 is a good verse to read in times like this.

Code: Select all

1 Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God ; believe also in me. 
2 My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? 
3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. 
4 You know the way to the place where I am going.
May peace be with you and your family during this difficult time.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

My condolences he may rest in peace.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Sorry to hear of your loss. Take care.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Sad for your loss.
My father died just a few years ago also.

Death is an enemy.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
gbtami

Post by gbtami »

I feel with you. Take care!
RIP
Henk

Post by Henk »

Yes it's tough for people that stay behind. Especially on a birthday.

[My father died about 1.5 years ago. But getting used to it after a year or so.]

Saw this again on tv few days ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVg5elLgSM8