Freeware Chess GUI's that hook up to ICC & utilize UCI?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

reflectionofpower

Freeware Chess GUI's that hook up to ICC & utilize UCI?

Post by reflectionofpower »

Any good 1's that can do this. Arena seems to be messed up in this area. I am not knocking it I am just saying in this aspect.
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
Raptor

Re: Freeware Chess GUI's that hook up to ICC & utilize U

Post by Raptor »

For Raptor's online tournaments, I use winboard/xboard.

The new releases allow you to utilize uci by adding the -fUCI command line parameter.

The older versions required you to manually setup UCI via polyglot(or UCI2WB adapter)

If you need help with this let me know and I can give u a guide of sorts.
reflectionofpower

Raptor wrote:For Raptor's online tournaments, I use winboard/xboard.

The new releases allow you to utilize uci by adding the -fUCI command line parameter.

The older versions required you to manually setup UCI via polyglot(or UCI2WB adapter)

If you need help with this let me know and I can give u a guide of sorts.
I know Winboard can do it but you have to use these Winboardish syntaxes and I want something a little more user friendly. thanks anyway.
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
royb

Post by royb »

reflectionofpower wrote:Any good 1's that can do this. Arena seems to be messed up in this area. I am not knocking it I am just saying in this aspect.
Pychess can talk to FICS. Not sure if it can talk to ICC. And it supports UCI-based chess engines. And it's free. Might be worth a look.
reflectionofpower

That's Linux based. I should have said Windows. I need a Windows one.

Lonnie
royb

Post by royb »

reflectionofpower wrote:That's Linux based. I should have said Windows. I need a Windows one.
Here you go: http://www.pychess.org/download/

They have windows .msi files for download on this page.
reflectionofpower

royb wrote:
reflectionofpower wrote:That's Linux based. I should have said Windows. I need a Windows one.

"On-line play on FICS with built-in FICS Timeseal support" it does not have ICC support,thanks anyway.

Lonnie
royb

Post by royb »

reflectionofpower wrote:
royb wrote:

"On-line play on FICS with built-in FICS Timeseal support" it does not have ICC support,thanks anyway.
Sorry about that. I was hoping that you could just put in: www.chessclub.com and be off and running. Shows that I do not use ICC and don't know what is involved in accessing it.

Good luck in finding something that works for you!
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

reflectionofpower wrote:I know Winboard can do it but you have to use these Winboardish syntaxes and I want something a little more user friendly. thanks anyway.
Actually starting WinBoard with the command line "winboard -ics -zp" (for which you could create a shortcut) is sufficient to let you select the engine and the ICS from the comboboxes in the Startup Dialog. Perhaps I should have the standard install create a start-menu item for this command; currently only items for human play on FICS or ICC are created on install. People running engines usually know how to do it, and would want a short-cut for their own engine anyway, rather than having to select it interactively each time they want to run it,soI never bothered.

The Startup Dialog currently offers 3 choices: engine, (human) ICS client or PGN viewer. Wouldit be useful to offer a 4th option, zippy mode (=engine on ICS)?
Norbert Raimund Leisner

Post by Norbert Raimund Leisner »