For fans of old chess computers

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

royb

Re: For fans of old chess computers

Post by royb »

F.Huber wrote:Hi Roy!
royb wrote: I forgot how to change the settings from Direct3D to OpenGL though. I did the update in the GUI (under Options -> Default System Options) but there were some files that had to be removed also and I cannot remember which ones those were. Can you remind me of which files I need to delete in addition to changing the default videomode to OpenGL? My system cannot handle Direct3D so I need to make this change to enable things to run at all.
Well, for changing the video mode you would have to delete all ini-files (in the ini-folder), so that they would be recreated after you have changed the setting in MESS.

But that's not necessary at all - just for this purpose I've included 2 ZIP-files (ini-OpenGL.zip and ini-GDI.zip), which you just need to unzip (with its subfolders!) into the CB-Emu folder - this overwrites all necessary files for either OpenGL or GDI video setting.

Regards,
Franz
Great stuff! Got it working again! Thanks so much!!
Daniel Anulliero

Post by Daniel Anulliero »

F.Huber wrote:
Daniel Anulliero wrote: I will sell all others :wink:
Not a good idea - maybe anytime in the future you'll blame me and my CB-Emu that you're missing your real collection. ;)

Anyway, here's a new CB-Emu version. :)

1) I've added 3 new (rather exotic) German chesscomputers (Schachcomputer SC1, SC2 and SLC-1), and
2) my additional chessboards for all non-sensory chess modules now have an additional 'Turn Board' button,
which can be used to turn the board view at any time during the game.

Since I had to change many files for this new feature, I've made a full package again instead of an update - here's the link:
http://www12.zippyshare.com/v/P3YkBo0H/file.html

Now I've included ALL available chess modules from MESS which I could get working,
so this is probably the last and final CB-Emu release.

Regards,
Franz
Lol of course I Keep my modest collection :)
So , no ROMs or driver for Scisys super system 4 and 5 ?
Boris diplomat?
Compuchess?
All the best
Dany
F.Huber

Post by F.Huber »

Daniel Anulliero wrote: So , no ROMs or driver for Scisys super system 4 and 5 ?
Boris diplomat?
Compuchess?
Well, write at least skeleton drivers and I'll make working versions out of them! :D

And something new:
Since the last 3 German chesscomputers (SC1/SC2/SLC-1) are not easy to use, here are a few additional files for these modules:
http://www44.zippyshare.com/v/LQqqOVC3/file.html

1) 3 new layout files (*.lay) with additional better keylabels (e.g. Enter, Clear, Reset etc.) - just copy these *.lay files into the correct ZIP-file in the artwork-folder (overwriting the existing file)

2) changed 'Info_Others.txt' (some better function descriptions)

3) and 2 PDF-manuals for the SC2 and SLC-1 (but only in German!). For the SC1 I've found no manual at all, but this module can be operated almost in the same way as the SLC-1.
(and BTW, the 2 'dead keys' [P] and [K] in the SC1 are in fact not necessary at all, because both functions 'Problem setup' and 'Level' can be reached with the [ENT] key)

Regards,
Franz
Daniel Anulliero

F.Huber wrote:
Daniel Anulliero wrote: So , no ROMs or driver for Scisys super system 4 and 5 ?
Boris diplomat?
Compuchess?
Well, write at least skeleton drivers and I'll make working versions out of them! :D

And something new:
Since the last 3 German chesscomputers (SC1/SC2/SLC-1) are not easy to use, here are a few additional files for these modules:

1) 3 new layout files (*.lay) with additional better keylabels (e.g. Enter, Clear, Reset etc.) - just copy these *.lay files into the correct ZIP-file in the artwork-folder (overwriting the existing file)

3) and 2 PDF-manuals for the SC2 and SLC-1 (but only in German!). For the SC1 I've found no manual at all, but this module can be operated almost in the same way as the SLC-1.
(and BTW, the 2 'dead keys' [P] and [K] in the SC1 are in fact not necessary at all, because both functions 'Problem setup' and 'Level' can be reached with the [ENT] key)

Regards,
Franz
Very good news !
Because the Scisys super system V was a very good machine by David Lévy ( and others)again
And the super system 4 is a machine very very rare to find !
Thanks again for your good work Franz ! :)
Bests
Dany
F.Huber

Post by F.Huber »

Hi,

although the previous version was the last one, here's still a very-last one. :D

What's new:

1) new module VEB Chess-Master CM: new realistic artwork, fixed a few driver problems,
and implemented even the rather unusual setup mode (key [BOARD]) - everything should
work (almost) identical to the real device, only the [HALT] key is not working,
but even the MESS experts couldn't solve this problem.
A German manual is available at Alain Zanchetta's website ('RadiophonChessMasterDE.pdf')

2) new artworks for almost all Mephisto modules: there has been a display problem which
existed since the very first versions (the upper line of the matrix display was cut off),
which I've now fixed by modifying all PNG files.

3) new additional ROM version (v2.1) for the VEB Schachcomputer SC2

4) exchanged the meaning of the keys [C] and [CE] for the SC1

Here's the link:
http://www1.zippyshare.com/v/Mka7g6Xv/file.html

Regards,
Franz
F.Huber

Post by F.Huber »

Hi,

here's a new update for CB-Emu:
http://www101.zippyshare.com/v/oCkWMP6i/file.html

The changes are only for the VEB chess computers:
1) SC1, SC2 and SLC-1 have been restructured,
2) for Chess-Master CM now also the HALT-key (to abort the computers calculation) is working,
3) but the really interesting change is a new module: Chess-Master Diamond.

Here's a picture:

This beautiful chesscomputer has a lot of (menu-driven!) features, so you'll probably need the manual from Alain Zanchetta's website.
Unfortunately it has a rather weak chess program - OTOH now you can finally win some games against a chess computer or program again. :wink:

There exist 2 extra modules for this Diamond (PM10-Opening and PM11-Ending), but since MESS doesn't allow hot-swapping modules during a game, I've made 2 extra versions with each of these 2 modules integrated as fixed ROMs, so just run whatever version you want.

Regards,
Franz
Daniel Anulliero

F.Huber wrote:Hi,

here's a new update for CB-Emu:
http://www101.zippyshare.com/v/oCkWMP6i/file.html

The changes are only for the VEB chess computers:
1) SC1, SC2 and SLC-1 have been restructured,
2) for Chess-Master CM now also the HALT-key (to abort the computers calculation) is working,
3) but the really interesting change is a new module: Chess-Master Diamond.

Here's a picture:

This beautiful chesscomputer has a lot of (menu-driven!) features, so you'll probably need the manual from Alain Zanchetta's website.
Unfortunately it has a rather weak chess program - OTOH now you can finally win some games against a chess computer or program again. :wink:

There exist 2 extra modules for this Diamond (PM10-Opening and PM11-Ending), but since MESS doesn't allow hot-swapping modules during a game, I've made 2 extra versions with each of these 2 modules integrated as fixed ROMs, so just run whatever version you want.

Regards,
Franz
Good to see CB EMU is not stopped ! :wink:
Thanks Franz!
F.Huber

Post by F.Huber »

Daniel Anulliero wrote: Good to see CB EMU is not stopped ! :wink:
Well, not as long as there are new devices or I have some new ideas. ;)

BTW, here are slightly improved artworks for Chess-Master CM and Diamond with an optical feedback when clicking on the function buttons:
http://www22.zippyshare.com/v/nZPkRAQL/file.html

Franz
fern

Post by fern »

Man, you have done and you still is doing an amazing job....

Fern
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

Daniel Anulliero wrote:
F.Huber wrote:
Boris diplomat?
Compuchess?

And something new:

Regards,
Franz
Very good news !
Because the Scisys super system V was a very good machine by David Lévy ( and others)again
And the super system 4 is a machine very very rare to find !
Thanks again for your good work Franz ! :)
Bests
Dany
Mk5 was a genius machine by David levy. The features were outstanding.
It's one of my favorite machines. I wish I would have philidor 6 module for it.

Chess champion mk4 is only slightly stronger then chess champion mk3.
Mk4 has a cool opening book with lots of gambits.
But is not that strong like mk5.

But mk4 used modules too !!

When they won championship 1981 in Travemünde, mk4 was not continued and all power went into the selling of mk5 for Christmas,
I remember this very good.
Mk5 is so interesting because it is B strategy and makes mistakes.
But mk5 had no chance against the mephistos.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....