Should I upgrade to Windows 10?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Amstaff

Should I upgrade to Windows 10?

Post by Amstaff »

I currently have all the popular chess engines and GUIs, databases, etc on an Alienware laptop running windows 7. I have no problems with anything.
But since the upgrade to windows 10 is free for the next few days, are those of you who use windows 10 satisfied with its chess compatibility?
Thanks in advance,
Gerald
JoshPettus

Re: Should I upgrade to Windows 10?

Post by JoshPettus »

Well look at a few articles, if it appeals to you then go for it. Compatibility wise I don't believe it's any worse.
Windows 10 is fine, I guess. No worse then 7. I'll still take linux over it anyday, but I don't always have that choice :)
fern

Post by fern »

If I were you I would stay put with W7
I am using W10 which is not that bad, BUT not an atom better than 7 and perhaps give some extra problems.

Fern
yurikvelo

Post by yurikvelo »

It's not an atom worse at least, and will give you 5 extra years of using.

No matter how you are satisfied with W7 now - it's support will expire. Both by Microsoft (updates) and by 3rd party developers (drivers for devices you might buy in future and everyday programs).

At some time, you will have programs which deny to run on Win7 anymore
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

Amstaff wrote:I currently have all the popular chess engines and GUIs, databases, etc on an Alienware laptop running windows 7. I have no problems with anything.
But since the upgrade to windows 10 is free for the next few days, are those of you who use windows 10 satisfied with its chess compatibility?
Thanks in advance,
Gerald
If you don't object to MS using a key-logger to capture everything you type and other such snooping, I guess Win10 is fine.

CL
Murat

Post by Murat »

carldaman wrote:
Amstaff wrote:I currently have all the popular chess engines and GUIs, databases, etc on an Alienware laptop running windows 7. I have no problems with anything.
Thanks in advance,
Gerald
If you don't object to MS using a key-logger to capture everything you type and other such snooping, I guess Win10 is fine.

CL
I used this free utility program to get rid of all the build in snooping of Windows 10 https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

-Personally if your laptop is now running fine, I would not change it, but if you got automatic notices to update to Windows 10, it's possible to try it out and if it is no success you can still roll back within 30 days I believe.

-Suppose you will use your laptop intensively for three more years, you will still be rceiving security updates for Windows 7, until january 14, 2020. No more regular updates and regular (free phone, online) support however, that ended janury 13th 2015.

-Not all Chessbase users are totally without problems after updating to Windows 10 so if that is important to you, maybe better stick with what you have. I have not been keeping track but just one example I read very recently: http://forum.computerschach.de/cgi-bin/ ... l?tid=9043

-I hate the forced updates in Windows 10, you can only postpone them until the weekend now, if you see the notice in time and have changed the policy that the update is fully automatic.

-My old Shredder 11 GUI is running just as well in Windows 10 (it came with the new computer) as it did in Windows Xp at the time I bought it.

-The Start button is better than in Windows 8 I think, a bit less loss of functionality than Windows 8.

-Hosts file still works, very important!
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

yurikvelo wrote:It's not an atom worse at least, and will give you 5 extra years of using.

No matter how you are satisfied with W7 now - it's support will expire. Both by Microsoft (updates) and by 3rd party developers (drivers for devices you might buy in future and everyday programs).

At some time, you will have programs which deny to run on Win7 anymore
Most of my applications stopped working due to "side by side" errors.
I did not know about the 30 day rollback.
My next machine will be some flavor of Linux.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
kliles

Post by kliles »

I am curious what is meant by 'side by side' errors? Is that some sort of issue that shows up (only?) when certain programs run concurrently or something entirely different?

I find Win10 somewhat more responsive than 7 (or 8) and overall reasonable - I have used it from the initial beta availability. There *are* some issues that are irritating - inability to make some programs the default for opening a specific file type (seems Windows 10 has internal favourites that may not be easily overriden...) Still can do 'open with' but annoying.
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

Something only you can decide, but if it was me, then yes.