Should I upgrade to Windows 10?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

gerold

Re: Should I upgrade to Windows 10?

Post by gerold »

I tried 10. I didn't like it so i went back to Windows 8.1 which i like a lot better.
rabbits23

Post by rabbits23 »

Here in Australia you can only get Windows 7 and 8 on second hand
computers.
Initially I found it hard to familiarize myself with the different
features of Windows 10 but now that I am used to them I have no serious
complaints. But then again we have a service called Telstra Platinum who you
can ring when some complex problem arises and they have the technicians
to fix it for you.
Regards Allan
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Amstaff wrote:I currently have all the popular chess engines and GUIs, databases, etc on an Alienware laptop running windows 7. I have no problems with anything.
But since the upgrade to windows 10 is free for the next few days, are those of you who use windows 10 satisfied with its chess compatibility?
Thanks in advance,
Gerald
There are some very reasons to upgrade, things to consider:
does it offer enhanced security
does it fix a major flaw
is there an increase in functionality

in other words - WIIFM - what's in it for me

if you decide you do want to upgrade, unless you have come compelling reason , i.e.. something is not working ( or you are just compulsive/obsessive) wait until at least the first or second update after a major release -

you are being wise in asking about the upgrade before you upgrade - that's a good start , Windows 10 is better than windows 8, I preferred Windows 7 over Windows 8 - I do see some benefits of Win10 over Win7 - but I also see some things I like better about Win7 - if you plan to get a new computer in the two years - don't bother with the upgrade - if you are definitely keeping the computer for over two years , the upgrade may be worth it just from the security updates you will be getting - at the end of the day, there is no right or wrong answer - do what you you think is best for you and your setup ...
( full disclosure, I own a mac, but use windows at work)
abulmo

Post by abulmo »

Amstaff wrote:I currently have all the popular chess engines and GUIs, databases, etc on an Alienware laptop running windows 7. I have no problems with anything.
But since the upgrade to windows 10 is free for the next few days, are those of you who use windows 10 satisfied with its chess compatibility?
Thanks in advance,
Gerald
Windows 10 does not conform to French laws:
https://www.cnil.fr/fr/windows-10-la-cn ... s-un-delai

In brief: too much spying, not enough safety, lack of user choices.
Microsoft has 3 months to make Windows 10 conform to the French laws.

So, if you care about your life privacy, do not install windows 10.
Richard
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

If you care about your life privacy, don't ever use the internet, period.
APassionForCriminalJustic

Post by APassionForCriminalJustic »

Modern Times wrote:If you care about your life privacy, don't ever use the internet, period.
Good point!
velmarin

Post by velmarin »

Windows 10 will immediately draw his second major upgrade coinciding with its first anniversary, I am expectant...

I have a dual boot with win7, but I only used it once to return immediately to win 10, I do not need more, just have fun and have fun.
JoshPettus

Post by JoshPettus »

My worst fear with windows 10 is that they will eventually make it into a subscription service. It may not happen, but if it does, I'm jumping full ship to Linux.
APassionForCriminalJustic

Post by APassionForCriminalJustic »

JoshPettus wrote:My worst fear with windows 10 is that they will eventually make it into a subscription service. It may not happen, but if it does, I'm jumping full ship to Linux.
Nah, Microsoft can afford to keep Windows free. They want to keep their user base; they don't want to risk losing users.
jdart

Post by jdart »

I have recently switched to a new PC that has Windows 10. So far the only compatibility issue was with Quickbooks 2014 (had to upgrade to a more recent version).

Windows 10 does have some creepy default privacy settings. Be sure to check those out as you are installing and I'd recommend turning off most of the defaults.

Also automatic updates are now not optional, which is a possible issue if you are going to run stuff 24/7 on the machine. There are apparently some ways to get around this though. Or you can run Windows Server instead. Or Linux :-).

--Jon