Brainfish, a new concept of a chess engine

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Rochester

Re: Brainfish, a new concept of a chess engine

Post by Rochester »

Thomas Zipproth wrote:
Rochester wrote:Thank! Where I find origin for file my.res? GPL cannot have the binary inside!
Before release, we had some philosophical talks about what GPL means to a real binary resource, like for example a toolbar gif image embedded in the exe file.

In fact you don't have to provide the source code of the raytracer or the paint program with which it was made. when you deliver your GPL program with that image embedded. You only have to put the image itself under the GPL.

It's the same with my.res, that is a real binary resource, which has no origin as such.
How we must modify my.res I ask? The philospoher is not the lawmaker :-)
GPL wrote:The source code for a work means the preferred form of the work for making modifications to it
You must give origin format or you can be the pirate for violation of the copyright. User has right to modify open source codes for himself. Not the commercial decide with philosophy. Follow the rule I only ask. Thank you!
Thomas Zipproth

Post by Thomas Zipproth »

Rochester wrote: How we must modify my.res I ask? The philospoher is not the lawmaker :-)

The source code for a work means the preferred form of the work for making modifications to it

You must give origin format or you can be the pirate for violation of the copyright. User has right to modify open source codes for himself. Not the commercial decide with philosophy. Follow the rule I only ask. Thank you!
I must admit I have no idea what you mean.

There is no source code of my.res in the same way as there exists no source code of a gif image.
The format of that resource is simply 6 byte hash code, 1 byte first move number, one byte second move number, together with the resource header.
Amateur

Post by Amateur »

Hi Thomas Zipproth,
you had an idea really interesting!
Thank you for having shared Brainfish with us all ...
Regards
Canoike

Post by Canoike »

I have looked at the makefile. Do you think Windows$ is the only OS in the world ? I would like to compile it for Ubuntu.
Thomas Zipproth

Post by Thomas Zipproth »

Canoike wrote:I have looked at the makefile. Do you think Windows$ is the only OS in the world ? I would like to compile it for Ubuntu.
It's on the way. Just a little patience, perhaps on the weekend.
Leto

Post by Leto »

Ozymandias wrote:
Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:Concerning the quality of the book built, I hope it has its merits, additional time spent on calculating lines always helps, but it would be interesting to match SF with your library with SF with a book of the same size/depth, based on GM games, for example. If Brainfish is using library with 50 plies depth, then standard SF shall also use a book with 50-plies depth.

And you know what, I bet that there will be no elo increase over standard SF. For the simple reason, that GM lines still vastly outperform SF-built lines. Please try that, and then after reporting the result, decide how to publicise your project.
Already done, googling a result shared by Stefan Pohl, I found in the subsequent page, this one:

Code: Select all

Now ASM receives TopGM_8move.pgn....what a difference just an 8 move book makes !!
-16 Elo for Brainfish

# PLAYER              :  RATING  ERROR  PLAYED   (%)  D(%)
   1 SF 160722ASMPD      :    3208      7    1000  52.3  61.0
   2 Brainfish 160724    :    3192      7    1000  47.7  61.0
Was Brainfish using the TopGM_8move.pgn book as well or was it playing without TopGM_8move.pgn? I would imagine Brainfish would perform better without the TopGM_8move.pgn.
corres

Post by corres »

I think that making a comparison between Elos of the two engines is correct if the two opening book used contains the same opening lines only.
In other cases the difference in Elo mainly shows the difference the quality of the books and the relation of engine's power. It is obvious that the shorter playing time the bigger Elo benefit is for Brainfish if Stockfish (asm or not) uses an opening book from HDD.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Rochester wrote:How we must modify my.res I ask?
Use a hex editor?
Canoike

Post by Canoike »

Thomas Zipproth wrote:
Canoike wrote:I have looked at the makefile. Do you think Windows$ is the only OS in the world ? I would like to compile it for Ubuntu.
It's on the way. Just a little patience, perhaps on the weekend.
Thank you.
Rochester

Post by Rochester »

hgm wrote:
Rochester wrote:How we must modify my.res I ask?
Use a hex editor?
No! The programer have to do answer how he do modify himself! Then user can do same way. That is the open source. Same origin same right.