Best Arena Version

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Nordlandia

Re: Best Arena Version

Post by Nordlandia »

mjlef wrote:I was told (and I do not remember who told me) that some Arena versions above 3.0 have problems with pondering. I do not know if this is true, but if anyone has more detailed information, let me know. Komodo buyers ask whihc version to use and I have been telling them 3.0, but it would be nice to recommend a newer version.
Arena 3.5.1 works well with ponder if piece animation speed remains at default (medium speed). Decreasing piece animation speed seems logical to reduce delay between two computers, but it only make one of the side freezes.

Additonally opening books have to be loaded in book tab and in engine section (Ctrl+Alt+B) + Engine Management - Details - Books.

I use 2x RS232 to USB converters for connecting two modern laptops together.

Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

mjlef wrote:I was told (and I do not remember who told me) that some Arena versions above 3.0 have problems with pondering. I do not know if this is true, but if anyone has more detailed information, let me know. Komodo buyers ask whihc version to use and I have been telling them 3.0, but it would be nice to recommend a newer version.
Hi Mark,

3.0 and 3.5.1 work fine with Ponder=On.

3.5 had a severe bug there
Best
Wolfgang
CEGT-Team
www.cegt.net
www.cegt.forumieren.com
RJN

Post by RJN »

I use Arena 3.5, mainly due to this "forced" condition in 3.5.1

Arena restarts in tournaments now always after at 20 games or less

I see no reason the user should need to do that if they do not wish, since I sometimes try to run large page engines, which work fine overnight if hash is low on my 64GB machine, but restart can knock out LP.

I do not use ponder, so moot point for me to use 3.5.1

My only other gripe with Arena is their refusal to use the "Shredder standard" for Chess960, or offer an option for it....besides that I think is a great GUI, with a nice look (once you customize it to your liking).

From Arena Help:

There are currently not many engines that fully support Chess 960. The problem lies in the correct execution and recognition of the extended castling move. Therefore an appeal to all engine programmers: Support Fischer Random Chess! Arena transmits and receives the castling moves in Fischer chess (and only there!) always in the form "O-O" for h-side castling or "O-O-O" for a-side castling (the letter 'O' is used, not the number '0').This applies both to the Winboard and UCI communication.
i7-5930K @4.5GHz, H100i Hydro Cooler, 64GB DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum @3000MHz, ASUS X99 Deluxe mboard, 1TB EVO 850 SSD
fern

Post by fern »

Arena is an Spanish wtrd with at least two meanings. Sand is one, but in this case I am sure the people of Arena was thinking in the second meaning, arena as a field for battle between, say, gladiators.
Reason -gladiator case- is the floor was covered with sand to absorb the blood...

Fern
fantasmadel50

Post by fantasmadel50 »

Jon Fredrik Åsvang, muchas gracias por su respuesta. Jon Fredrik Åsvang, thank you very much for your reply.
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

fern wrote:Arena is an Spanish wtrd with at least two meanings. Sand is one, but in this case I am sure the people of Arena was thinking in the second meaning, arena as a field for battle between, say, gladiators.
Reason -gladiator case- is the floor was covered with sand to absorb the blood...

Fern
Thanks, Fern.
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de
SSTATHIS

Post by SSTATHIS »

I'm using only Arena 3.0, because all newer versions have the"time forfeit" problem when ponder is on.

You can read more of this problem here:
http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... w=&start=0
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

Thanks.