Reflections on the WCCC

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Werewolf

Reflections on the WCCC

Post by Werewolf »

For what it's worth here are some reflections on the WCCC for consideration, planning for next time and discussion.

STUFF I LIKED
* The double round approach was excellent and made the event so much better than on some previous years where there's only been something like 5 rounds and a winner is declared. More games = better.

* The standard was high. In the past this event has been mocked as the "Disabled Olympics" when Junior won (although I'd like to see Junior back) but this year there were some seriously strong entrants and, combined with the custom hardware and opening book, this made it the strongest tournament in the world to date IMO. Not a small feat!

* Not having the Baron. This was a good call, The Baron may be a great project, but it has no place in a WCCC since it's too weak at the moment. Maybe in years to come it might be different, but at the moment scoring only 2 draws in the WCSC says it all.

* We can follow it live.

* The unlimited hardware in the WCCC. Essential in my opinion. To give this credibility, this section MUST be totally open to all entrants, from small computers to custom made supercomputers like Hydra, Deep Blue and the modern way: Clusters. It can't be a WORLD championship if certain entrants can't be allowed in if they are strong enough. I think this also encourages innovation (several programmers have hinted they are looking into cluster options - my lips are sealed of course) and this: I've always held a belief that computer chess thrives when there is a supercomputer around since it inspires us to try harder by giving a vision of the level chess can get to. Supercomputers also draw a crowd. There's something 'sexy' about them, and that's good for the sport.

* The old and the new. Great to see some classics like HIARCS and Shredder, as well as the current champ - Komodo the Dragon - and private engines like Jonny. Great mix.

* The different divisions. WCCC, WCSC, Blitz - they all have their place. Great format.

STUFF I THINK COULD BE IMPROVED
* There is something just a bit disorganized about the website. People often resort to the forums because they can't find links to things like hardware specs, or the time control. It needs reworking and laying out more clearly. The hardware specs - although stated - were clearly incomplete and a lot of helpful information could have been added. For example, it was frustrating that the former hardware guy for the Rybka team and myself eventually worked out the spec of the Komodo workstation pretty much by deduction. Stuff like this could be done so much better.

* The live following of the games. It's great that it's happening, but the viewer left a lot to be desired and the live PGN didn't auto update - can anything be done about this? Could it be broadcast through Chessbase or something? (maybe it was, just asking)

* Reporting back from the event was patchy. One day we'd get a flurry of news and gossip, then nothing. A consistent format would be good.

* The playoff end to the WCCC. For me this was a shame. If we really believe in the title "WORLD COMPUTER CHESS CHAMPION", do we want this to be decided...in a 3 minute game? I know people need to go to bed and all that stuff, but just ask - how would Garry feel if his match with Anatoly was decided by a 3 min game? The title would be degraded. Also I suspect Jonny was handicapped by this time control, but that's another matter.

Just some thoughts...overall a highlight to the chess year though!
Henk

Re: Reflections on the WCCC

Post by Henk »

Also add a chat to the live games unless nobody is watching.
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Werewolf wrote:
* the live PGN didn't auto update
Auto update worked fine for me. I was watching all 3 games while operating by inserting the url into Hiarcs Chess Explorer. Other customers also say that this worked fine.
bnemias

Post by bnemias »

Werewolf wrote:* The unlimited hardware in the WCCC. Essential in my opinion.
I both agree and disagree.

I've said before on this forum, one problem with the uniform hardware approach is you will never see a home computer beat a supercomputer. The software may be good enough now that that can no longer happen, but it is certain that uniform hardware does make it impossible.

However, the problem with unlimited hardware, in my view is that the title is associated with the engine, not the hardware. So if you have unlimited hardware, it's misleading to attribute the title to the software.
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

(...) this made it the strongest tournament in the world to date IMO.
Wow, not a statement which should be tossed aside lightly :mrgreen:
Regards, Mike
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Harvey Williamson wrote: I was watching all 3 games while operating by inserting the url into Hiarcs Chess Explorer. Other customers also say that this worked fine.
Is this a unique feature of HCE or can other GUIs do this?
Harvey Williamson

Werewolf wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote: I was watching all 3 games while operating by inserting the url into Hiarcs Chess Explorer. Other customers also say that this worked fine.
Is this a unique feature of HCE or can other GUIs do this?
No others that I know of but I only use Hiarcs, Fritz and Shredder GUIs.
Leto

Post by Leto »

"* The playoff end to the WCCC. For me this was a shame. If we really believe in the title "WORLD COMPUTER CHESS CHAMPION", do we want this to be decided...in a 3 minute game? I know people need to go to bed and all that stuff, but just ask - how would Garry feel if his match with Anatoly was decided by a 3 min game? The title would be degraded. Also I suspect Jonny was handicapped by this time control, but that's another matter. "

Considering Komodo finished 3rd in the blitz section and Jonny finished first, I'd say Komodo was handicapped and still managed to win. It's been established that Komodo is ultrastrong at long time controls but surprisingly weak in blitz.

How come Stockfish wasn't at this tournament?
Harvey Williamson

Leto wrote:
How come Stockfish wasn't at this tournament?
They did not enter.
bob

Post by bob »

Werewolf wrote:For what it's worth here are some reflections on the WCCC for consideration, planning for next time and discussion.

STUFF I LIKED
* The double round approach was excellent and made the event so much better than on some previous years where there's only been something like 5 rounds and a winner is declared. More games = better.

* The standard was high. In the past this event has been mocked as the "Disabled Olympics" when Junior won (although I'd like to see Junior back) but this year there were some seriously strong entrants and, combined with the custom hardware and opening book, this made it the strongest tournament in the world to date IMO. Not a small feat!

* Not having the Baron. This was a good call, The Baron may be a great project, but it has no place in a WCCC since it's too weak at the moment. Maybe in years to come it might be different, but at the moment scoring only 2 draws in the WCSC says it all.

* We can follow it live.

* The unlimited hardware in the WCCC. Essential in my opinion. To give this credibility, this section MUST be totally open to all entrants, from small computers to custom made supercomputers like Hydra, Deep Blue and the modern way: Clusters. It can't be a WORLD championship if certain entrants can't be allowed in if they are strong enough. I think this also encourages innovation (several programmers have hinted they are looking into cluster options - my lips are sealed of course) and this: I've always held a belief that computer chess thrives when there is a supercomputer around since it inspires us to try harder by giving a vision of the level chess can get to. Supercomputers also draw a crowd. There's something 'sexy' about them, and that's good for the sport.

* The old and the new. Great to see some classics like HIARCS and Shredder, as well as the current champ - Komodo the Dragon - and private engines like Jonny. Great mix.

* The different divisions. WCCC, WCSC, Blitz - they all have their place. Great format.

STUFF I THINK COULD BE IMPROVED
* There is something just a bit disorganized about the website. People often resort to the forums because they can't find links to things like hardware specs, or the time control. It needs reworking and laying out more clearly. The hardware specs - although stated - were clearly incomplete and a lot of helpful information could have been added. For example, it was frustrating that the former hardware guy for the Rybka team and myself eventually worked out the spec of the Komodo workstation pretty much by deduction. Stuff like this could be done so much better.

* The live following of the games. It's great that it's happening, but the viewer left a lot to be desired and the live PGN didn't auto update - can anything be done about this? Could it be broadcast through Chessbase or something? (maybe it was, just asking)

* Reporting back from the event was patchy. One day we'd get a flurry of news and gossip, then nothing. A consistent format would be good.

* The playoff end to the WCCC. For me this was a shame. If we really believe in the title "WORLD COMPUTER CHESS CHAMPION", do we want this to be decided...in a 3 minute game? I know people need to go to bed and all that stuff, but just ask - how would Garry feel if his match with Anatoly was decided by a 3 min game? The title would be degraded. Also I suspect Jonny was handicapped by this time control, but that's another matter.

Just some thoughts...overall a highlight to the chess year though!
Just a note. There HAVE been human WC's crowned as the result of a blitz game. I no longer remember when this was, but within the last 30-40 years where a WC was ended with a series of blitz games. Not my idea of the right way to do it, but I presume it was to deal with the "draw odds" issue that would let the current WC retain the title if the match was drawn after N games.