Moderation team quits.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

gerold

Moderation team quits.

Post by gerold »

Thanks.

Best to you.
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Re: Moderation team quits.

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Thanks to the long serving team of moderators!

I have one question: I don't think the method of nomination is going to work anymore; it was supposed to be an honor to be nominated but it feels more like punishment I think. Can't we change it to automatically nominate anyone who has posted three months before the election? Send all of them an e-mail or PM. If the e-mail does not work anymore maybe that is of some help to select people, and only those who do not mind will accept anyway. It is automatically selecting people who like to communicate, punishment for trolls etc.

Regards, Eelco
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

What if some whinging twits post a lot?
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

That is what I mean Dann, you have to earn that right to post. Only the first three months after an election are free... I think previous elections were saved because you posted long lists of people who you'd think would make good moderators Dann! Without nominations, a single team that nominates itself will almost automatically be accepted. That is all fine but at some point there have to be new moderators and what if nobody is interested?

I'm not afraid of members abusing the system, in general, democracy regulates itself. As Ed Schröder once said in a different context, "People have a brain".
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Eelco de Groot wrote:......at some point there have to be new moderators and what if nobody is interested?
Exactly. Other members can see how moderators are treated here, so why on earth would they want to be one?
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Rebel
Full name: Ed Schröder

Post by Rebel »

Graham Banks wrote:
Eelco de Groot wrote:......at some point there have to be new moderators and what if nobody is interested?
Exactly. Other members can see how moderators are treated here, so why on earth would they want to be one?
You are overreacting Graham :wink:

CCC is a democratic forum, folks choose the leaders that rule over them. It doesn't mean they can't be criticized when they change a policy.

As a former mod yourself you know that the (real) moderater abuse is in the talks with folks (often the same) in PM when they are moderated.
A Distel

Post by A Distel »

Rebel wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:

CCC is a democratic forum, folks choose the leaders that rule over them. It doesn't mean they can't be criticized when they change a policy.

As a former mod yourself you know that the (real) moderater abuse is in the talks with folks (often the same) in PM when they are moderated.
Nervous people tend to overreact, I guess that explains their school history, then.
:lol:
The road to chaos is filled with political correctness.
― Tadros
gerold

Post by gerold »

Rebel wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:

Big plus.
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

Rebel wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:

It has been my experience that some members would rather impugn the character of the moderators in public rather than first discussing a moderation action via PM.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Rebel wrote:As a former mod yourself you know that the (real) moderater abuse is in the talks with folks (often the same) in PM when they are moderated.
No - it just as often happens in the forum itself.
gbanksnz at gmail.com