XB/UCI chronology available again

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

XB/UCI chronology available again

Post by Guenther »

It is not quite ready, but most data is in. I guess I need at least a week to check and fill in the rest, but I thought it is enough to be useful now...
(and I need a rest since I worked on it toujours for 5 weeks)

Note that you need quite some resolution to fit the main table. At 1920*1080 there is enough space left, without horizontal scrolling.

Even with read-only access there is a sort option available, but I noticed that it does not update the conditional odd/even row colouring in that mode, sorry.

All programs which are available at rwbc for download until now should be transferred to the computerchesswiki during the next weeks thanks to Ron.
I will also send all programs for download to him which are marked 'XXX' (web column), because they are missing/not available, or I feel for some there should be added various history versions.

After more than a decade waiting on my HDDs I also decided that I could add two exclusive old versions which were sent only for RWBC tournaments:
Amateur 2.86 and Celes 0.78RWBC were never released officially, but I am sure Will and Johan won't mind after that long time.

http://rwbc-chess.de/

Guenther

Edit: The whole project may need some time to fully load in your browser
cdani

Re: XB/UCI chronology available again

Post by cdani »

What a big work! Congratulations and thanks!
gbtami

Post by gbtami »

Great work, thx!
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Top.
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

Thank you Guenther for your efforts. I have made use of the chronology many times.
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hi Günther,

since official available WB Engine 4 or 5 undo ~ WB Engine 100 - 120 (time I gave it to Thomas Mayer) I have all what I do at this times on different CDs. My older webpage and the news, older interviews, all the downloads and much other information I got, first Rating List Systems, tournaments by users ... Events ... Deep Shredder vs. The World and much other things, work I do for the first German chess fora ... Gambit-Soft, CSS Forum the own fora with all the Messages and work around this one.

Main problem:
I can't say from all the programs I have on my CD ...
I got it official or not official. I am beta tester for so many programs in the first times. From different engines I have more as 100 versions at this time. And I have more as thousands versions of engines from the first times of Winboard ... sure that around 20 of the programs never available. I try at this time all that each version will be freely available for all, speaking with so many programmers in tournaments, per eMail and so one.

Only chance to reproduce is to work step by step in combination with all the mails in my backup. But also the mails are a problem ... I have more as 9.000 addresses in my older TheBat and Outlook Express Directorys and more as 400.000 mails are written.

So many of the files I have are not official available, many of the files are official available. With other words, I lost my overview after so many years and give the most of my work to Thomas Mayer, later many things to Leo. Leo are working on my older site a long time. I know that with all that what I have many holes can be fill but again ... the main problem is ... what is free and what isn't free.

Not sure what I should do with all the backup CDs. Data are lost with time. I think if you are working on it I can send it to you, sure that hold it your good hands. Often I am thinking I should send it to Gerd Isenberg.

But if I do that ... I know it is "NOT" right ... again many of the files I mixed on my backup CDs are not official available files if I remember. No interest to get Problems with all the older material. But again, to hold it at home ... many things are for sure important for the history and can fill the holes ... are also not right.

Best
Frank

Later the same in times of Arena development, in times of UCI development I help a lot ... I send x WM 2000 sets from my own Money to programmers around the world. All the work I do for Gambit-Soft in times before Winboard ... and here too ... many programs I collect I got by slow mail. Regards to Gerd Isenberg ... I am sure he know that or Chrilly Donninger ... all are persons ... for two examples ... send me files by slow mail before Internet.
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Better is to hold the files secret ... I got secret in the past!

In German:
Kann viele Sachen heute einfach nicht mehr trennen und hatte seinerzeit alles in einer Sicherung (welche Programmen oder Versionen der Programme waren offiziell und welche nicht). Habe aber auch keine Lust mir die Arbeit zu machen und die kompletten Daten zu prüfen um Lücken zu schließen, die ich durchaus schließen könnte. Lese ich bei Gerd Isenberg denke ich das auch sehr oft wobei die ganzen zusammengestellten Information 1a sind. Allerdings fehlen auch Gerd diverse Infos.

Nur irgendwann können dann die Lücken nicht mehr geschlossen werden und mithin ... habe schon oft überlegt ob ich die CDs mal alle zu Gerd sende aber so korrekt ist das ja auch nicht.
Guenther

Post by Guenther »

Thanks to all for the support!

There will be only 6! programs left unavailable from the chronology soon:

Code: Select all

Capture: one commercial release
Gandalf: several commercial releases
Nimzo (WB): one commercial release

[Onno: (suspected derivate) a few commercial releases => not important therefore]

Cleo: was free available
Knockout: was free available
Who still has the only released Cleo version, or one of the (two?) released Knockout versions please send it to me or to Ron (computerchesswiki).
I know Sven is still writing here from time to time, what happened to Knockout?

http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ckout+sven

@Frank
May be you can help with a free release of an old Gandalf version and the only Capture version, if you still have contact to both authors?

It would be also nice if people, who still have contact to Chrilly would ask him for a permission to release/make available the old WBNimzo version.

Thanks,
Guenther
Ajedrecista

Re: XB/UCI chronology available again.

Post by Ajedrecista »

Hello Guenther:
Guenther wrote:Who still has the only released Cleo version, or one of the (two?) released Knockout versions please send it to me or to Ron (computerchesswiki).
Thank you very much for your long-term effort.

Knockout 0.7.1 build 002 can be downloaded from here (134.2 KB). It includes knockout.exe, knockout.ini and readme.txt files

Regards from Spain.

Ajedrecista.
Guenther

Re: XB/UCI chronology available again.

Post by Guenther »

Ajedrecista wrote:Hello Guenther:
Guenther wrote:Who still has the only released Cleo version, or one of the (two?) released Knockout versions please send it to me or to Ron (computerchesswiki).
Thank you very much for your long-term effort.

Knockout 0.7.1 build 002 can be downloaded from here (134.2 KB). It includes knockout.exe, knockout.ini and readme.txt files

Regards from Spain.

Ajedrecista.
Muchas gracias for the working link Jesus. I will update tomorrow.
(meanwhile I check most gone sites in the wayback machine too, but
sometimes even those don't work at least for the download stuff)
When all data is filled in I will probably update once a month.

Guenther