Komodo 10 released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

lkaufman

Komodo 10 released

Post by lkaufman »

Komodo 10 has just been released at komodochess.com. Pricing for purchase or subscription unchanged from Komodo 9.4. Komodo 8 is now free. Komodo 10 is free for those who have current subscriptions.

We estimate that Komodo 10 is about 15 elo stronger than Komodo 9.4 and about 60 elo stronger than Komodo 9. There is one new eval term since 9.4, "Magnify", which multiplies the eval by the given percentage. There are many search changes since 9.4, plus revision to king safety and pawn storm and to Contempt. See website for details.

Komodo 10 is an upgrade from the program currently leading in TCEC and from the version that defeated (then) U.S. Champion Hikaru Nakamura in a match giving him handicaps in every game.
Komodo rules!
Cardoso
Full name: Alvaro Cardoso

Re: Komodo 10 released

Post by Cardoso »

Glad to hear that.
Larry, will k10 play at TCEC S9 ?

regards,
Alvaro
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Magnify

--------

Magnify allows you to increase or decrease the entire evaluation from Komodo. This lets you tune it to fit specific GUIs which give good/bad move symbols, and adjust the score to your liking. Magnify will not change mate scores. The default for Magnify is 88. Higher values will expand the score, and lower value compress the score. Changing the value also affect pruning decisions by Komodo. A large change will weaken it substantially.

Do have any recommended setting for this on the Fritz GUI (15)?
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by lkaufman »

Probably K10 will play the next stage of TCEC, although that isn't yet decided.
Komodo rules!
Werner
Full name: Werner Schüle

Post by Werner »

lkaufman wrote:Probably K10 will play the next stage of TCEC, although that isn't yet decided.
Thanks Larry!
I wish you good luck in TCEC!
Werner
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

This is awful. There is a standard for scoring, and GUIs as well as engines should stick to it. Options like this just promote chaos.
Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

AdminX wrote:Magnify

--------

Magnify allows you to increase or decrease the entire evaluation from Komodo. This lets you tune it to fit specific GUIs which give good/bad move symbols, and adjust the score to your liking. Magnify will not change mate scores. The default for Magnify is 88. Higher values will expand the score, and lower value compress the score. Changing the value also affect pruning decisions by Komodo. A large change will weaken it substantially.

Do have any recommended setting for this on the Fritz GUI (15)?
Do recommended settings from K9.42 apply under K10 :?:

For example dynamism of 110 during play and 80 under infinite analyze mode.
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

I thought this option's intention was to change the playing style, less/more materialistic, without too much loss in Elo. If you want to fit eval to the symbols the obvious way is to change the values where the symbols change in the GUI, not the engine. At least the GUIs I know a bit Shredder, Chessbase have options already for doing that. The description from Larry seems just a bit confusing?
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan
cma6

Post by cma6 »

LK:
Although I paid for K10, I didn't see any further description of K10 on your website.
As for the new parameter "Magnify" for long time controls with infinite analysis, would you recommend sticking with default of "88" or any change?
Does increasing Magnify increase pruning?
Ajedrecista

Re: Komodo 10 released.

Post by Ajedrecista »

Hello Art:
cma6 wrote:LK:
Although I paid for K10, I didn't see any further description of K10 on your website.
As for the new parameter "Magnify" for long time controls with infinite analysis, would you recommend sticking with default of "88" or any change?
Does increasing Magnify increase pruning?
Please take a look here:

Komodo-10-Readme

Regards from Spain.

Ajedrecista.