To MODERATORS: Please STOP moving genuine tournaments!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

velmarin

Re: Statement from the Moderation Team

Post by velmarin »

ICGA spent the year in forum tournaments, he won 34,000 visits, that was not a problem.

Code: Select all

Computer Chess Club: Torneos y Partidos	
Campeonato Mundial de Ajedrez 2015 Ordenador de ICGA / Eventos
[ Ir a páginaIr a página: 1 ... 24 , 25 , 26 ]	Marcos Lefler 34396 visits
Nor does it seem that the location of ACCA is somewhat influential, the problems of the tournament itself, not the va solve TalkChess, that's for sure,
We must not pass the buck to TalkChess.

Code: Select all

Computer Chess Club: Torneos y Partidos	
Campeonato 9th Annual ACCA mundo de la informática ajedrez rápido
[ Ir a páginaIr a página: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 ]	Charles Roberson   5897 visits

Computer Club de Ajedrez: Temas generales 
Campeonato 8th Annual ACCA mundo de los ordenadores rápidos
[ Ir a páginaIr a página: 1 , 2 , 3 ]	Charles Roberson   3687 visits

Computer Club de Ajedrez: Temas generales	
Computer 7th Annual
[ Ir a páginaIr a página: 1 ... 3 , 4 , 5 ]	Charles Roberson   7205 visits
Dan Honeycutt

Re: To MODERATORS: Please STOP moving genuine tournaments!

Post by Dan Honeycutt »

Seems like announcements of upcoming events - tournaments, matches, exhibitions or whatever - would best go in General. Coverage of a tournament or match - results, standings and so on - should be in the Tournaments and Matches forum.

Best
Dan H.
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Dan Honeycutt wrote:Seems like announcements of upcoming events - tournaments, matches, exhibitions or whatever - would best go in General. Coverage of a tournament or match - results, standings and so on - should be in the Tournaments and Matches forum.

Best
Dan H.
Hi Dan,

Agreed and that is the way it always was. Announce the tournament and discuss the announcement here but games etc in the tournaments section.

Cheers,
Harvey
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hi Harvey,

I have to work with "thread view" or all is confusing here. To many members here with too many different interests. Also the tournament selection is confusing, very long threads, open again and again. Thinking that users like to see the views ... wow 1.000 views, 2.000 views.

Or here ...
Bench results of Smartphones ... really boring for myself and very big threads ... not easy to read ... confusing ... forum need longer for laoding the main site.

Very important for me ...
I will very fast open a site or the site is dead for me. So I optimize my own again and again ... main site must be directly to see without promotion or other things the World don't need.

Games from such a tourney your are speaking about in tournament selection? Better is to have all in one thread, but again not possible ... to many different minds with different interests. Not controllable.

For me is all the same here ...
We search the discussion to the topic computer chess ...

To many different selections and I have to search information I wish me to read or better ... I have interest to read. I have no time to read all the messages here (furthermore, my English isn't good enough ... I Need to long for it) and honestly ... I don't await that others read my ideocy again and again.

Thats really a problem if we have an own activity.

I know that ... try to added in tournament selection since a short time most important information in thread titel. Maybe a bit to aggessively but on the other hand ... users with interest must not open the thread.

I like it because if a thread go in an other direction, maybe interesting for me or not ... possible I overlook an interesting thread.

Too many users ... to many different interests ... not controlable ... STOP.

:-)
But all is good what we have.
Nothing must be changed!

Best
Frank
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Dokterchen wrote:I don't know what is wrong with moderation recently, but please stop moving genuine tournaments like Leiden, IGT and ACCA to the Tournaments and Matches section. The Tournaments and Matches section is really for home tournaments and people like me are not interested in home tournaments but are absolutely interested in genuine tournaments.

Thank you for your understanding
Torsten
+1 - I agree with this poster, although I admit that I have been guilty of mis-posting tournaments in the past in the main section. Most tournaments s/b posted in the Tournaments section, a few of the higher profile tournaments should be posted in the main section. No hard and fast rule, but generally those that last multiple days, operated by programmers and that have some stature.
Henk

Post by Henk »

A reason people don't like ICGA may be because their engines did not pass the acceptance test.
bob

Post by bob »

Henk wrote:A reason people don't like ICGA may be because their engines did not pass the acceptance test.
Hardly any have been rejected. In at least 99% of the cases, the author chooses to not enter, rather than entering and being rejected.
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Rebel wrote:
Rebel wrote:Question for the motherators: suppose Komodo team manages to agree on a 6-game match against Magnus Carlsen in the style of the 2 historic Deep Blue - Kasparov matches. According to your (new) policy you are forced to move the big news and all its enthusiastic responses to T&M.

Would you?
Are you still thinking about an answer?

The point of the example is that there are tournaments and tournaments, meaning there is something as priority.

And I am sure that you want your policy on this bug free.
It seems they are in their bunker and are to important to discuss the issue with the many programmers who have raised it.
lucasart
Full name: lucasart

Post by lucasart »

mjlef wrote:Not that anyone cares what I think, but here goes:

Forums are like newspapers. The General Topic is the "front page". Just like a newspaper's sections (Sports, Local, Business) most of the articles that can be categorized as one of the special sections go in those sections. But when something very unusual comes long like USA winning the World Cup, it appears on the front page, with related articles being in the Sports section. A new event is generally placed on the front page too.

So I favor allowing announcements of an upcoming tournament of significance be allowed to be on the front page (we could list examples). Results would still go in the Tournaments section. It would be fine for an announcement of a tournament to also be moved to the Tournament section after some reasonable period, so that it would not clutter the main page if it gets lots of comments.

Another solution is a single sticky on the pain page titled "Upcoming Events". It could be maintained by a moderator. Users would send in important events, which would get edited into this sticky posting, and periodically purged of old events.

Talkchess is THE PLACE that people go to find computer chess information. We want to attract new engine writers, engine lovers and anyone else with an interest in computer chess. So lets have a nice "front page" to invite them in.

Mark
Actually, it's not correct. The front page of talkchess is not the general forum. On the front page, you have a choice between 3 forums. If you want to know about tournaments, you look at tournament forum. It cost you one click, regardless of the forum. How hard is that ?

Some people are arguing that ICGA, or ACCA, or whatever else is may be, are special snowflakes, that deserve more consideration than other tournaments.

The way newspapers decide what goes on the front page and what goes in the sport section, is by trying to estimate interest. Indeed, newspapers want to sell more copies, so they put on the front page what people care about, so they want to buy the news paper.

The interest in ICGA or ACCA or *insert yet another obscure OTB tournament with a handful of participants* is slowly converging to zero.

How many participants are there in ICGA or ACCA tournaments ? And how many have applied to participate but did not pass the qualification stage because there was so much demand they couldn't accept everyone ? Right...

On the other hands, events that draw a lot more interest like TCEC respect the rule and get announced in the tournament section. And it doesn't hinder their popularity, btw.

IMO, this whole debate is yet another hopeless and pathetic attempt at trying to draw attention to old and fossilized organizations like ICGA, because almost no one cares about their tournaments anymore...

Always the same people, making the same empty arguments...
Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.
mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Post by mar »

Harvey Williamson wrote:It seems they are in their bunker and are to important to discuss the issue with the many programmers who have raised it.
Actually, unlike you, both John and Fabien are programmers ;)