To MODERATORS: Please STOP moving genuine tournaments!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

lucasart
Full name: lucasart

Re: Statement from the Moderation Team

Post by lucasart »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Graham Banks wrote: Amazing how much trouble the same small group of members can try to make when they don't like something. Not the first time and won't be the last.
And that small group has names?

And perhaps you have missed the fact that the programmers (who responded) so far have spoken against the new policy. You know, those guys responsible for your daily medicine :wink: Their minds may work a bit different than yours.
Hi Ed,

Yes this is the point 99% of the programmers want the announcements to be here, so they should be here. Without the programmers there is no computer chess and no, genuine, computer chess forum.

If you, me Bob and HGM all agree then we must have a point!

Cheers and Shalom from sunny Tel Aviv,
Harvey
This 99% is an interesting statistic that you just made up. Since when do you + bob + hgm + ed speak in the name of 99% engine programmers ?

There are also those, like me and many others, who do not give a dam about your fake tournaments, that allow sub-standard programmers to call themselves world champions, and try to elevate their achievement to a level where it doesn't belong.
Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

lucasart wrote: There are also those, like me and many others, who do not give a dam about your fake tournaments, that allow sub-standard programmers to call themselves world champions, and try to elevate their achievement to a level where it doesn't belong.
Is that a chip on your shoulder?
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Well, I guess it is just to prove the point I made earlier:

The only people that do not object to this policy change are those not affected, and those with a second agenda to destroy any kind of participation event. The latter like it exactly because they can see the policy would be extremely damaging.

So the moderators should take openly hostile declarations as those of Lucas as an affirmation that they embarked on the path of destroying computer Chess. And not that this policy improves the accessibility of this forum.

It is always important to know the motives of those cheering your actions...
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

:roll:

Montagmorgen ?!
Bad weekend ?
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
bob

Post by bob »

lucasart wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Graham Banks wrote: Amazing how much trouble the same small group of members can try to make when they don't like something. Not the first time and won't be the last.
And that small group has names?

And perhaps you have missed the fact that the programmers (who responded) so far have spoken against the new policy. You know, those guys responsible for your daily medicine :wink: Their minds may work a bit different than yours.
Hi Ed,

Yes this is the point 99% of the programmers want the announcements to be here, so they should be here. Without the programmers there is no computer chess and no, genuine, computer chess forum.

If you, me Bob and HGM all agree then we must have a point!

Cheers and Shalom from sunny Tel Aviv,
Harvey
This 99% is an interesting statistic that you just made up. Since when do you + bob + hgm + ed speak in the name of 99% engine programmers ?

There are also those, like me and many others, who do not give a dam about your fake tournaments, that allow sub-standard programmers to call themselves world champions, and try to elevate their achievement to a level where it doesn't belong.
(a) I like the way you speak for stockfish, even though you are not an author of stockfish;

(b) exactly HOW MANY live participation events have either you or the stockfish team entered? Wouldn't that be approximately zero, meaning your opinion is irrelevant to the topic at hand?

(c) these events are NOT "just about the title". But that's probably too subtle for you anyway.

BTW some of "us" have participated in these events with 50+ OTHER competitors. So a large number of people certainly participate in WCCC/ACCA/CCT/HGM tournaments regularly. Just because YOU don't doesn't mean you speak for the majority.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Well, his interest is of course to destroy these events he so despises.

So I would say it is quite relevant that he sides with the moderators. That is tantamount to the infamous 'kiss of death'.
Henk

Post by Henk »

I see ICGA 2016 is held again in Leiden. Still not in my backyard though. From station to University quite a long walk. Also exact location not that easy to find. When I was 100 meters from destination and I asked where exactly it was held people could not tell me for they had never heard about it. They thought I was crazy or something. [Which may be true of course. ]
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Henk wrote:I see ICGA 2016 is held again in Leiden.
Will be moved to T&M.

Still not in my backyard though. From station to University quite a long walk. Also exact location not that easy to find. When I was 100 meters from destination and I asked where exactly it was held people could not tell me for they had never heard about it. They thought I was crazy or something. [Which may be true of course. ]
Henk

Post by Henk »

I did not know you were a moderator too. Needless to say I don't like any moderator. Just like these drawing teachers that corrected my drawings at school. Scratching in my drawing and ruining it.
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

Not that anyone cares what I think, but here goes:

Forums are like newspapers. The General Topic is the "front page". Just like a newspaper's sections (Sports, Local, Business) most of the articles that can be categorized as one of the special sections go in those sections. But when something very unusual comes long like USA winning the World Cup, it appears on the front page, with related articles being in the Sports section. A new event is generally placed on the front page too.

So I favor allowing announcements of an upcoming tournament of significance be allowed to be on the front page (we could list examples). Results would still go in the Tournaments section. It would be fine for an announcement of a tournament to also be moved to the Tournament section after some reasonable period, so that it would not clutter the main page if it gets lots of comments.

Another solution is a single sticky on the pain page titled "Upcoming Events". It could be maintained by a moderator. Users would send in important events, which would get edited into this sticky posting, and periodically purged of old events.

Talkchess is THE PLACE that people go to find computer chess information. We want to attract new engine writers, engine lovers and anyone else with an interest in computer chess. So lets have a nice "front page" to invite them in.

Mark