To MODERATORS: Please STOP moving genuine tournaments!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dann Corbit

Re: To MODERATORS: Please CONTINUE moving tournaments!

Post by Dann Corbit »

What exactly is the list of tournaments to keep here and what exactly is the list of tournaments to move?

I think you will find that different people find different things to be interesting.

They could, of course, simply fold all the tournaments back into this forum.

Your assumption is that they should be able to leave the tournaments here that you want left here and move the tournaments to the tournaments folder that you would like to see moved.

My guess is that everyone's list of things to move and things not to move is different.

So I say, move 'em all, or don't move any of them. And if a moderator decides to move a tournament to the tournament folder and someone complains about that, well...
That's cuckoo for cocoa-puffs, fruitcake nuts.

IMO-YMMV

P.S.
How hard is it to click the mouse on "Talkchess.com Forum Index" and then click the mouse on "Computer Chess Club: Tournaments and Matches"?
And if you must, you can click the "Flat View/Thread View" button to make things easier to see at a glance.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
uaf
Full name: Ubaldo Andrea Farina

Post by uaf »

As far as I know there are only 3 OTB (WCCC, CSVN PT, IGT) and 1 online (ACCA) tournaments left. I think that threads for these tournaments belong to the General forum or at least there should be a sticky thread where they can be announced. Then games/results/etc can be posted in the Tournaments forum.

These tournaments are of interest to programmers and many users that don't regularly read the Tournaments forum.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

The most interesting tournaments are:
1. TCEC {True world championship}
2. CCRL {Statistically meaningful}
3. CEGT {Statistically meaningful}
4. SSDF (for historical reasons)

WCCC/WMCCC is a European championship that nobody enters or cares about unless they want to put a meaningless sticker on their software box. If you care about this tournament, I have a question... Why?

The online tournament that Peter does is also pretty interesting (though I am not sure it is still happening).

I would like to see correspondence time control tournaments like the old Komputer Korner KUP, but that won't happen. Nobody has the patience for that any more.

If someone wants to move all these interesting tournaments to the tournaments forum, well, I'll know where to look.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Dann Corbit wrote: How hard is it to click the mouse on "Talkchess.com Forum Index" and then click the mouse on "Computer Chess Club: Tournaments and Matches"?
And if you must, you can click the "Flat View/Thread View" button to make things easier to see at a glance.
And how hard is it to leave a tournament announcement in the sub-forum where it was originally posted? Or not to open that thread if you have no interest in that particular event?

Which of the two do you think is harder? Three moderators keeping their hands to themselves 5 times a year, or 50 programmers having to scan through 40 forum posts in a section they would normally never read daily?
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

hgm wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote: How hard is it to click the mouse on "Talkchess.com Forum Index" and then click the mouse on "Computer Chess Club: Tournaments and Matches"?
And how hard is it to leave a tournament announcement in the sub-forum where it was originally posted? Or not to open that thread if you have no interest in that particular event?

Which of the two do you think is harder? Three moderators keeping their hands to themselves 5 times a year, or 50 programmers having to scan through 40 forum posts in a section they would normally never read daily?
It is exactly the same level of difficulty as not moving an off topic post to CTF or otherwise not doing their job.

The members of the forum decided to split off the tournaments into their own forum and they did it for a reason.
Henk

Post by Henk »

hgm wrote:

Moderators try to avoid that they will be elected again. So this is a good opportunity.
uaf
Full name: Ubaldo Andrea Farina

Post by uaf »

The tournaments I listed require the programmers to apply and participate (themselves or with an operator).

CCT is not played anymore.

I've read Charles's thread about the ACCA tournament only because, these days, I'm checking the Tournament forum for results of my engine.

Threads about these tournaments have always been posted in the main forum. I can't see why the can't now.

By the way, I'm only talking about announcing threads, not posts about games/results and so on.

As far as I know, Anton Mihailov, who now organizes the TCEC, didn't make any announcement here at Talkchess.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

uaf wrote:The tournaments I listed require the programmers to apply and participate (themselves or with an operator).

CCT is not played anymore.

I've read Charles's thread about the ACCA tournament only because, these days, I'm checking the Tournament forum for results of my engine.

Threads about these tournaments have always been posted in the main forum. I can't see why the can't now.

By the way, I'm only talking about announcing threads, not posts about games/results and so on.

As far as I know, Anton Mihailov, who now organizes the TCEC, didn't make any announcement here at Talkchess.
A feature that might be nice is a pop-up calendar that holds dates for important computer chess events.

Not that I'm going to write such a feature.
:wink:
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Dann Corbit wrote:It is exactly the same level of difficulty as not moving an off topic post to CTF or otherwise not doing their job.
Please remind me. When exactly was the charter changed to redefine the job of the moderaters to wreck the forum in order to sabotage major computer-chess events?

[qoute]The members of the forum decided to split off the tournaments into their own forum and they did it for a reason.[/quote]
Seems you have not been reading Bob's posts, that you still believe in such a distorted account of historic fact...
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

If it is too difficult for you to examine the other forum, then I suggest changing the rules for the forum or electing new moderators.

If there was ever a tempest in a teapot, this is it.

BATTEN THE HATCHES!