2016 10th Annual World Computer Rapid Chess Championship

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Raptor

Re: 2016 10th Annual World Computer Rapid Chess Championship

Post by Raptor »

I am willing to operate Zurichess on my laptop if he is okay with it.
brtzsnr

Post by brtzsnr »

CRoberson wrote: Thanks for the info. You are allowed to use an operator. If you post a thread to that in the main forum, you might get one. Others have done it before.
Thank you Charles & Steve!

Having an operator sounds good. I will work with Steve on private to pass him account details and the binaries.

The only thing remaining is that my account is disabled. I remember that last year we got a few months of ICC for free, is this true for this year, too?

Code: Select all

Account zurichess expired 10/Jan/2016
mhull
Full name: Matthew Hull

Post by mhull »

gerold wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
CRoberson wrote:Note to MODERATORS: Please do NOT move this to the tournament section. Historically all tournaments of this type are announced here. The tournament
section is really more of a testers section and burying the post there will lead to lower participation levels.
At Charles request this is now back in the main section.
Very good.
Forum is back to normal.

Best,
Gerold.
I think it would be fine for tournaments like this to live in the tournament forum if they were made sticky, so they wouldn't roll off the first page. It would require coordination with the mods of course.

Even here, it's not made sticky which is not good. Tournaments where multiple authors will be in attendance should be sticky "by default". If this is done, then it can live in the proper forum which is the tournament forum.

Make big invitational tournaments sticky, always. Then it won't matter if it's in the "high volume" tournament forum (where they really belong).
Matthew Hull
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

mhull wrote:
gerold wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
CRoberson wrote:Note to MODERATORS: Please do NOT move this to the tournament section. Historically all tournaments of this type are announced here. The tournament
section is really more of a testers section and burying the post there will lead to lower participation levels.
Very good.
Forum is back to normal.

Best,
Gerold.
I think it would be fine for tournaments like this to live in the tournament forum if they were made sticky, so they wouldn't roll off the first page. It would require coordination with the mods of course.

Even here, it's not made sticky which is not good. Tournaments where multiple authors will be in attendance should be sticky "by default". If this is done, then it can live in the proper forum which is the tournament forum.

Make big invitational tournaments sticky, always. Then it won't matter if it's in the "high volume" tournament forum (where they really belong).
Being sticky in the tournament forum is of course an option. However engine authors have made it clear that they prefer a normal thread in this section.
mhull
Full name: Matthew Hull

Post by mhull »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
mhull wrote:
gerold wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
Very good.
Forum is back to normal.

Best,
Gerold.

Being sticky in the tournament forum is of course an option. However engine authors have made it clear that hey prefer a normal thread in this section.
But even here it's not sticky. I think events like this should be at least until the event is concluded.
Matthew Hull
Harvey Williamson

mhull wrote:
But even here it's not sticky. I think events like this should be at least until the event is concluded.
I have no problem with the main tournaments being made sticky here until they are concluded. If a tournament organiser requests this I will discuss with the other mods.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

One should distinguish the announcement / call for participation, and further discussion about it. I think it is really important that a call for participation is in the place that is habitually read by the intended audience. Being sticky in a section where people do not look is not very helpful. I don't care much about where the later discussion is.

So a sensible way to treat situations like this seems to let the original poster create separate threads for the original announcement and the further discussion, giving a link to the latter in the former. The announcement can then be made sticky and locked at the same time. This prevents a sticky thread becoming very long (which could be annoying for non-interested people using threaded view).
Harvey Williamson

hgm wrote: So a sensible way to treat situations like this seems to let the original poster create separate threads for the original announcement and the further discussion, giving a link to the latter in the former. The announcement can then be made sticky and locked at the same time. This prevents a sticky thread becoming very long (which could be annoying for non-interested people using threaded view).
Sounds like a plan!
CRoberson

Post by CRoberson »

New entry:

Tinker by Brian Richardson.

http://aigames.net/ACCA/ACCAWCRCC/2016A ... WCRCC.html
CRoberson

Post by CRoberson »