amoeba a new UCI engine

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

abulmo

amoeba a new UCI engine

Post by abulmo »

I am pleased to announce the release of amoeba 1.0, a new and original chess engine, available here: https://github.com/abulmo/amoeba
64 bits executable are available for linux and windows. Sorry for people still using a 32bit-OS, but I failed to have a working executable. As I did all my tests under linux and I did only some very basic test for the windows version, I am pretty confident on the stability of the linux version, much less on the windows one.

The main originality of this engine, is that it is written with the D language (http://dlang.org).
The way I build the evaluation function is also pretty original, with some very simple concepts and well tuned weights.

In CCRL 4040 scale, I hope my program to reach 2650 - 2700 elo. I also hope to increase its strength in future versions.

Enjoy it

--
Richard Delorme
Richard
Graham Banks

Re: amoeba a new UCI engine

Post by Graham Banks »

Looking forward to trying it out. :)
Thanks for sharing.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Daniel Anulliero

Post by Daniel Anulliero »

Good new Richard!
Now , a great chess engine , after a super othello engine :wink:
Good luck with amoeba ( origin of the name?)
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

An amorphous predatory protozoan which eats its prey by surrounding it with its body and engulfing it.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Daniel Anulliero

Post by Daniel Anulliero »

Dann Corbit wrote:An amorphous predatory protozoan which eats its prey by surrounding it with its body and engulfing it.
Aah yes of course it's "amibe" in french
Thanks!
cdani

Post by cdani »

Congratulations! Nice to see new ideas coming.
velmarin

Post by velmarin »

Congrats, Richard.

I have installed in a few minutes the compiler and the extension for Visual Studio.
I have these things make me enjoy.

X 64 compiles very well and stably plays but not with itself less than half speed than your original executable.

X 32 depart popcnt instruction errors.

Code: Select all

..\src\board.d(916): Error: none of the overloads of '_popcnt' are callable using argument types (const(ulong)), candidates are:
C:\D\dmd2\windows\bin\..\..\src\druntime\import\core\bitop.d(435):        core.bitop._popcnt(ushort x)
C:\D\dmd2\windows\bin\..\..\src\druntime\import\core\bitop.d(437):        core.bitop._popcnt(uint x)
abulmo

Post by abulmo »

velmarin wrote:X 64 compiles very well and stably plays but not with itself less than half speed than your original executable.
Yes, I guess you use dmd;, which is the best compiler in term of stability & language reference, but not to optimize the code.

Yes, I know. I can add a workaround in my code, but it is obviously a bug or a serious limitation in the phobos library.
Richard
abulmo

Post by abulmo »

Daniel Anulliero wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:An amorphous predatory protozoan which eats its prey by surrounding it with its body and engulfing it.
Aah yes of course it's "amibe" in french
Thanks!
Yes. Actually, I borrowed the name from the algorithm I use to tune the eval parameter.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelder-Mead_method
Richard
velmarin

Post by velmarin »

abulmo wrote:
velmarin wrote:X 64 compiles very well and stably plays but not with itself less than half speed than your original executable.
Yes, I guess you use dmd;, which is the best compiler in term of stability & language reference, but not to optimize the code.

Yes, I know. I can add a workaround in my code, but it is obviously a bug or a serious limitation in the phobos library.
Yes, thanks.

When I have time I'll try with GCD, it can be very interesting for other things and proyetcs..

If you want to arrange the 32 bits, obviously the performance is not as important, 32-bit users have another philosophy and more patience.

:wink: