Release of XBoard 4.9.0 soon

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Krzysztof Grzelak

Re: Release of XBoard 4.9.0 soon

Post by Krzysztof Grzelak »

And where the program can be downloaded and is there anything else I need to additionally download to play checkers 8x8.
JoshPettus

Post by JoshPettus »

Krzysztof Grzelak

What do I need to download from this site, so to play checkers.
Krzysztof Grzelak

I do as I ask for very detailed instructions on how it all started.I would add that the first time in my life to run this program.
Canoike

Post by Canoike »

Can you swear on the Bible Xboard 4.9.0 is bug free :?: :)
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

It is easy enough to swear on the bible. But that of course doesn't make it true. :lol:

I fact I discovered and fixed a new bug only yesterday evening: one-click moving was not always working with engine-defined pieces, because in disambiguating SAN moves, when a move is ambiguous under the engine-specified rules, XBoard tries to decide based on the built-in 'native' move of the piece, rather than the move redefined by the engine. (Making the assumption that it could be dealing with a game saved before engine-defined piece moves existed.) But one-click moving is done by disambiguating moves like g1??, and in general these are ambiguous, so that it waits for the user to click a to-square. But with engine-defined pieces XBoard then first tried to move the piece by XBoard's own rules, and sometimes the piece did have only a single move according to those. And then it would attempt that, and immediately reject it as illegal, so you could not move the piece at all. It should of course only use this back-up when parsing SAN from a file (where the to-square is always fully specified), not when deciding about one-click moving (which should always strictly follow the engine-specified rules.)

Another problem that currently is not solved yet is that when used with a tiling window manager like i3wm, the board does not immediately expand to fill the window that the WM assigned, and only does that after the user slightly resizes that. It seems that i3wm 'silently' makes the initial window assignment, i.e. without telling XBoard or GTK that the window has a different height from the requested one.

So it is like always: this version has fewer bugs in features that the previous version already had, but can have new bugs in features that did not exist before. Which seems an improvement, because in the previous version you could not use these features at all, so it doesn't really matter how buggy they are. I mean, not many users would be interested writing Japanese kanji over their Chess pieces, so why would they care if the kanji were sometimes written in the wrong color?
Canoike

Post by Canoike »

I have 2 questions :

Which pre release should I take ? Yours : http://hgm.nubati.net/cgi-bin/gitweb.cg ... ;a=summary
or http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/xboard/xboard- ... 402.tar.gz

How do I install a translation language from the "PO" directory ?

Thank you.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Use the one from GNU, it has the latest translations.

The translations should be built into XBoard automatically, I think. (Could be that you would have to enable this with "./configure --enable-nls", but I thought that was default. It should automatically adapt to the locale of your system. You can overrule that by prefixing the xboard command with LANG=...
Werner
Full name: Werner Schüle

Post by Werner »

[quote="hgm][/quote]
Hi,
can you please show the settings in the tournament manager:
I want to play 100 games between 2 engines, I have 50 opening positions like nunn.pgn. Each opening is played with black and white.

I tried (with 4.80) and every game from the RR (0) is played with the same opening line.

Werner
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

Werner wrote: Hi,
can you please show the settings in the tournament manager:
I want to play 100 games between 2 engines, I have 50 opening positions like nunn.pgn. Each opening is played with black and white.

I tried (with 4.80) and every game from the RR (0) is played with the same opening line.

Werner
Haven't used the internal tourney manager for a long time, but AFAIK you
should tick those two boxes:

Code: Select all

1. Step through lines/positions in file
2. Use each line/position twice