Release of XBoard 4.9.0 soon

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Krzysztof Grzelak

Re: Release of XBoard 4.9.0 soon

Post by Krzysztof Grzelak »

I have a question.Please write the program supports 8x8 checkers. In particular I am interested in the Italian checkers. Be whether the program can handle the engine Kingsrow Italian.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

The WinBoard Alien Edition already supports Checkers for many years. The engine NebiyuCheckers should be able to play it under that GUI, and other Checkers / Draughts variants as well.
hgm

Post by hgm »

MikeB wrote:Looks good to me.
Well, although it give a nice wood texture this way, the theme as a whole seems flawed: the dark squares are so dark that they camouflage the black Pawns (which in this piece theme have no white markings at all on them), and you only need to squint a little to be completely unable to see the difference between an empty dark square and one with a black Pawn on it.

What works for a 3d chess board in real life need not always be good for a 2d display. But it is conceivable that the texture would work well with other piece themes, so we could still package it with the other textures we have been collecting.
JoshPettus

Post by JoshPettus »

Unfortunately the OSX version of the open dialog doesn't display a preview of the texture, Not sure if there is anything we can do about this.
JoshPettus

Post by JoshPettus »

Sry, in that it has a generic icon for files and that is what is displayed
hgm

Post by hgm »

I recall the GTK3 manual said something about a gtk_file_chooser_native_dialog (or something like that) which should be used rather than gtk_file_chooser_dialog (which we use) to make it look more like the native file chooser of the platform, and that gtk_fle_chooser_dialog would then be used only in cases where a native file chooser could not be used. But I had the impression that this was only an attempt to integrate GtkOsx and similar stuff into GTK, and would not exist yet in GTK2+.

For me the file_chooser displays previews, but they are very small, as the file_chooser seems to be always in list mode, with tiny icons (16x16?) at the line start. Anyway, we are pretty much stuck with the file chooser we have; it doesn't seem practical to design our own file chooser of this complexity to give a better preview of textures.
JoshPettus

Post by JoshPettus »

I agree, that would be needlessly difficult. If we ever move to GTK3 we can give it a try.
Canoike

Post by Canoike »

Thank you for your work.

My current Xboard 4.7.3 + polyglot 1.4.70b shows a maximum of 5 figures for the nps. Most engines calculating more than 1.000.000 nps, this number is obviously wrong.
Any Idea ?
hgm

Post by hgm »

It could be that you have a larger-than-usual font, so that the last digit of the nps is pushed off screen. I remember someone having that problem once, and I fixed it by giving the nps fields in the engine-output windows somewhat more space.

But it could very well be that I made that fix only after version 4.7.3. So perhaps you should try 4.8.0, which in itself is already quite old and at the point of being superceded by 4.9.0, first.
Canoike

Post by Canoike »

In the file nengineoutput.c, the value field of "move" must be lower and the value field of "NPS" must be higher.
Thank you.