no more ChessGUI

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Matthias Gemuh

no more ChessGUI

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

Hello Folks,
I have retired from chess programming and have deleted the source code of my engines and of ChessGUI. I therefore do not recommend the further use of ChessGUI because no support would be available from me. I may delete the ChessGUI website soon.

Cheers,
Matthias.
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de
Dann Corbit

Re: no more ChessGUI

Post by Dann Corbit »

Too bad for the end of an era.
Thank you for all your nice efforts in the meantime.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
JoshPettus

Post by JoshPettus »

Likewise, thank-you for all your hard work.

That's very sad or happy. May I ask what brought this along? Leaving programing chess is one thing. But I strongly disagree with deleting all your source code and work. I hope you can reconsider. Unless what you mean is you wiped all private records as well, which would be very sad.
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

JoshPettus wrote:Likewise, thank-you for all your hard work.

That's very sad or happy. May I ask what brought this along? Leaving programing chess is one thing. But I strongly disagree with deleting all your source code and work. I hope you can reconsider. Unless what you mean is you wiped all private records as well, which would be very sad.
I deleted even private records so that temptation would not pull me back into chess programming. Only radical methods are good when fighting against an addiction.

Matthias.
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Matthias Gemuh wrote:

I deleted even private records so that temptation would not pull me back into chess programming. Only radical methods are good when fighting against an addiction.

Matthias.
:lol:

I should have taken your advice a long time ago.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Too bad I cannot do the same with XBoard. Bloody GPL... :wink:
Evert

Post by Evert »

hgm wrote:Too bad I cannot do the same with XBoard. Bloody GPL... :wink:
It's a little tricky if the code was not your own work to begin with. However, you could delete your own repository, source and binaries. Then anyone why still has a copy of your source can keep things going, if they want.

For code you own it's even easier. I could completely delete all code I have of SjaakII, say, and say I'm done. I'm under no obligation to provide it or preserve it. Of course, I cannot destroy copies that other people might have.

Anyway, this seems very radical...
Stan Arts

Post by Stan Arts »

Maybe a good/healthy idea but unfortunate.

BigLion and Taktix were some of my favourite sparringpartners while working on my previous engine for almost ten years. I have fond memories of them.

Problem is also now you have a clean slate it's even more tempting to "try something". See you later I guess.
JoshPettus

Post by JoshPettus »

Matthias Gemuh wrote:

Matthias.
You're not joining a cult, are you? :roll:

I can sympathize, and in some regards you are right when it comes to addiction. They say to quit smoking you are most likely to succeed if you cut cold turkey. But to equate your life's work to a vice?
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

Matthias Gemuh wrote:

Matthias.
If only we could delete what is in our brains.

I am sorry to see you go. ChessGUI was a great piece of work. Thank you for the time you spent on it.