Has Ruffian stopped to run on modern CPU!?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Jouni

Has Ruffian stopped to run on modern CPU!?

Post by Jouni »

Inspired by programming forum I wanted to test Ruffian 1.0.5 in corei5 PC. But it crashes both in Arena and Chessbase GUI. Any idea why? Surprisingly it runs without problemas in LittleBlitzer :o . I ran 1000 games bullet match vs SF7 64b 1 cpu and 10+0,1 level. SF won 989,5-10,5 (21 draws, no time losses). Progress is +790 ELO.
Jouni
Charly

Re: Has Ruffian stopped to run on modern CPU!?

Post by Charly »

Hi,

I run Ruffian 1.0.5 without any problem (I never had a time forfeit or a crash with it) under Arena 3.5, and Intel i5. It runs without problem also under i7 and Arena 3.5.

Have you installed it as a UCI engine under Arena 3.5 ?

You can check my site if you want : I use Ruffian 1.0.5 as calibration for my rating list, because it's a very reliable engine !
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

I also confirm Ruffian is crashing on the Fritz GUI
acase
Full name: Andrew R Case

Post by acase »

Try turning the hash table size down to about 128 MB for Ruffian (unless of course you've already tried that . :wink: )
Dayffd

Post by Dayffd »

acase wrote:Try turning the hash table size down to about 128 MB for Ruffian (unless of course you've already tried that . :wink: )
I was having the same kind of problem: Ruffian 2.02 and 2.10 (and 105, I think) would not run on this newer (for me) system. Then I read the above and it dawned on me oh yeah, Ruffian can't handle, say, 1024 MB hash. Tried again this morning turning the cache down to 128 - they run like a charm! Not quite as strong as, say, Komodo 9.42 or Stockfish 7, but just can't have everything. :) Thanks for the above reminder for the O P! :)
David S.
kasinp
Full name: Peter Kasinski

Post by kasinp »

Dayffd wrote:
acase wrote:Try turning the hash table size down to about 128 MB for Ruffian (unless of course you've already tried that . :wink: )
I was having the same kind of problem: Ruffian 2.02 and 2.10 (and 105, I think) would not run on this newer (for me) system. Then I read the above and it dawned on me oh yeah, Ruffian can't handle, say, 1024 MB hash. Tried again this morning turning the cache down to 128 - they run like a charm! Not quite as strong as, say, Komodo 9.42 or Stockfish 7, but just can't have everything. :) Thanks for the above reminder for the O P! :)
Here is another possible glitch: older engines (e.g. Gandalf 6, Ruffian, Nimzo 8) will have problems with tablebase access under newer Chessbase GUI - v.14/15). They do work fine on GUI v.11 on the same computer though. It's an easy test to perform.

PK
acase
Full name: Andrew R Case

Post by acase »

Dayffd wrote:

Indeed, my computer has 32GB of RAM, but I can use a 512MB hash table size for Ruffian, however if I go higher than 512MB it crashes on my computer.