CC book of records

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Henk

CC book of records

Post by Henk »

Who has currently the most different chess engines and how many ?
Henk

Re: CC book of records

Post by Henk »

Second record: Largest amount of money ever paid for a chess engine ?
Dayffd

Post by Dayffd »

Henk wrote:Who has currently the most different chess engines and how many ?
I think I have in the vicinity of around 1,000 engines. 54 Crafty engines, a lot of Comet, engines and most other engines. 896 engines on my rating list and a lot of engines on cd not on the list - yet.
David S.
Dayffd

Post by Dayffd »

Henk wrote:Second record: Largest amount of money ever paid for a chess engine ?
I paid $150.00 for Fritz 4.01. I think that one I no longer have... :(
David S.
Henk

Post by Henk »

Next record: Youngest and oldest person that developed a normal working chess engine.
Henk

Post by Henk »

Most complex feature ever implemented in a chess engine but giving almost no ELO gain ?
Henk

Post by Henk »

Most aggressive, least aggressive chess engine ?
Henk

Post by Henk »

Engine that played least number of games ?
kgburcham

Post by kgburcham »

Henk make a list of every commercially available engine since Shredder 4. Shredder 4 was released in 2004. I think I have every program that would be on the list. If it was available in download and cd, I always bought the disk. Also I bought a copy of Diep that was not commercial. I have bought programs and not even loaded them. If they were free, I usually didn't bother. The first programs I bought were on floppy disk, chessmaster, Diep, Eds programs, etc. also I have Nimzo, Nimzo when first released was strong playing at the game sites using the alt-tab keys. I had to go to the bank and exchange money to be able to buy Diep. The chess tiger series was fun when released. Most every release of Shredder was very strong. Of course Deep Junior and Fritz versions also.

Story:
Back when I was one of the top online players at the game servers, I was always looking for the better program, testing new releases, testing different settings, always had the fastest hardware because I built my own systems. Most of the time I was one of the highest rated gamers using the alt-tab keys, including fast 3/3 games. I was hanging out at talkchess one time and a new programmer started hanging out, asking questions talking etc Then one day he said he had a new release of a new program and told a group of guys they could have a free copy. I had already paid for 50 different versions of programs and then immediately hit the chess servers to test the programs only to find out the new release wasn't any better in fast time control 3/3 5/5 etc. But this time it was completely different and the only time after that, that I was winning a considerable amount more. This program was the first release of Rybka, free version. After that Rybka dominated the game servers for several more releases. Fun times playing top rated players and GMs. I once paid a GM to play four games at long time control, I was using Chess Tiger. fun times, wasted money

kgburcham
Last edited by kgburcham on Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no chess program was born totally from one mind. all chess programs have many ideas from many minds.
bob

Post by bob »

Henk wrote:Engine that played least number of games ?
This has to be Shannon's program. Played -zero- games. :)