Rodent II is out

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

PK

Rodent II is out

Post by PK »

downloadable at http://www.pkoziol.cal24.pl/rodent/rodent_download.htm

It is a complete rewrite, which I had to do due to some untraceable bug in 1.7 codebase, causing node discrepancies between debug and release compiles. I didn't manage to implement all the functionalities from previous codebase yet. This is actually a good news, because it leaves me with some relatively simple improvements.

Another good news is that current source is Linux compatibile, owing to several hints kindly supplied by Dave Kaye. There is also a Linux executable. Preparing 32-bit Windows version, however, will take me a couple of days.

Due to some other commitments please don't expect new Rodent before September. In the meantime, however, I invite You to create new Rodent personalities. The tuning system has matured (and has been documented), option names are finally readable also for non-programmers. It is likely that one can squeeze some more elo out of it - or some more fun, whatever you fancy. If there is enough interest, I can run a tournament of user-defined personalities.

As for playing strength, the gain over version 1.7 is really modest, something like 25 Elo. Hopefully, code is much more maintainable and will allow firther strength increase, something that has become too difficult with previous codebase.

Have fun!
PK

Re: Rodent II is out

Post by PK »

I think it should be treated as the same branch. Starting point is the same, project goals have not changed (which means that for example most of the UCI options are replicated) and overall difference is smaller than, let's say, between Glaurung 1.2 and Glaurung 2.2.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Thanks Pawel. :)
Looking forward to testing it.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hi Pawel,

name of your engine is:
Rodent II 0.8.7 x64 (hope it's right).
I added the configuration in my download file (Version 3.55).
Older Rodent versions have POP optimazation, not sure with Rodent II.

Engine will start a little bit later in my list.
To many older updates I have to added before.

THANKS!
I like your engine, great style !!

Not sure with the personality.
I will use "Default" with my conditions.
No changes in your basic.ini (hope it is right).

Best
Frank
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

Awesome news, Pawel. :-D

Thank you for the new and reworked Rodent version.

Cheers,
CL
PK

Post by PK »

I have supplied 32-bit Windows compile.

On the other hand, my package does not contain Linux compile - I misunderstood what has been sent to me. However, the claim of Linux compatibility still stands - please use makefile and linux.compile files placed above src directory and everything should run smoothly.
BrendanJNorman
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Post by BrendanJNorman »

Thank you Pawel!

:D

I have begun testing Rodent II (having tweaked my own custom personality) and am REALLY impressed.

I'll write a review soon and let you know the results. :)

P.S Very well done, I love this engine! 8-)
chetday

Post by chetday »

Pawel, the personalities in the new Rodent are wonderful, and I'm having a lot of fun playing against them. Thank you for this great chess engine!
styx

Post by styx »

It is running very well in Linux. But is there any way to use the personalities?
PK

Post by PK »

Change content of basic.ini from SHOW_OPTIONS to HIDE_OPTIONS - this way You should get Rodent to display menu which allows You to choose personalities.

If this fails, go to main.cpp, line 36, and change

Code: Select all

panel_style = 0; 
to

Code: Select all

panel_style = 1; 
recompile and enjoy!