Rodent II is out

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

carldaman

Re: Rodent II is out

Post by carldaman »

Thanks for sharing your new settings, Brendan. The posted Alize and Remy settings appear identical for some reason. What could be the difference?

Rodent (with its personalities) has been a favorite of mine. I really like its newly improved 'king hunter' settings.

Take a look at Rhetoric (an engine written by Alberto Sanjuan), too - by simply lowering the Material Count you can get an amazing style of play.

Regards,
CL

BrendanJNorman wrote:
PK wrote:Brendan, for a working game display it is enough to delete a space in pgn tag.

I can't wait to learn Your Cognac settings, these games are a joy to watch.
I've now done the review and shown what settings I used for the 3 personalties I have been using. :wink:

http://chessncognac.com/chess-engine-review-rodent-ii/

Do you think the style would be even nicer if I increased king tropism a bit? I'm not expert at this stuff, and the style already seems nice haha. :oops:

Again, Thanks Pawel for an awesome engine!
BrendanJNorman
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Post by BrendanJNorman »

carldaman wrote:Thanks for sharing your new settings, Brendan. The posted Alize and Remy settings appear identical for some reason. What could be the difference?

Rodent (with its personalities) has been a favorite of mine. I really like its newly improved 'king hunter' settings.

Take a look at Rhetoric (an engine written by Alberto Sanjuan), too - by simply lowering the Material Count you can get an amazing style of play.

Regards,
CL
Hey Carl,

It seems I didnt copy the correct settings over when I switched back from Fritz GUI to Arena (copied Remy instead)...I better go recheck the Alize settings! So silly haha.

The "Henny" settings are the funnest/most human-like anyway in terms of playing style.

About Rhetoric, I LOVE it! I set material to 50% which makes is much weaker objectively, but has played some absolutely beautiful games as well.

I actually counted yesterday that including tweaked engines, Rebel/Prodeo personalities and awesome stand-alone engines (like Thinker, Tao 5.6, Nejmet, Frenzee, Comet A90 etc), there are 25-30 engines I want to train against at slow time controls... I'm kidding myself If I think I'll find the time lol :lol:
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

BrendanJNorman wrote:
carldaman wrote:Thanks for sharing your new settings, Brendan. The posted Alize and Remy settings appear identical for some reason. What could be the difference?

Regards,
CL

Hey Carl,

It seems I didnt copy the correct settings over when I switched back from Fritz GUI to Arena (copied Remy instead)...I better go recheck the Alize settings! So silly haha.

The "Henny" settings are the funnest/most human-like anyway in terms of playing style.

About Rhetoric, I LOVE it! I set material to 50% which makes is much weaker objectively, but has played some absolutely beautiful games as well.

I actually counted yesterday that including tweaked engines, Rebel/Prodeo personalities and awesome stand-alone engines (like Thinker, Tao 5.6, Nejmet, Frenzee, Comet A90 etc), there are 25-30 engines I want to train against at slow time controls... I'm kidding myself If I think I'll find the time lol :lol:
I do much of the same type of training. These (mostly free) engines are a real treasure to work with and the irony is that most people believe they are just a bunch of "weak" engines and little else.

It's hard to find the time to spar and analyze with them but it is fascinating.
Thanks for taking the 'trouble', if I can call it that, of posting your findings. :)

Check out Little Goliath as well, as it has tweakable settings. I can also recommend ChessTiger2007's Gambit Aggressive Suicidal style for wild play.

Cheers,
CL
BrendanJNorman

Post by BrendanJNorman »

how do i delete this post?
Last edited by BrendanJNorman on Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
BrendanJNorman

Post by BrendanJNorman »

I do much of the same type of training. These (mostly free) engines are a real treasure to work with and the irony is that most people believe they are just a bunch of "weak" engines and little else.

Thanks for taking the 'trouble', if I can call it that, of posting your findings. :)

Check out Little Goliath as well, as it has tweakable settings. I can also recommend ChessTiger2007's Gambit Aggressive Suicidal style for wild play.

Cheers,
CL
These people are the same people who wouldn't understand a single move of Stockfish's analysis, because the point of each move arrives 10 ply down the line from their current position. These guys really get on my nerves actually haha.

They'd prefer idolize ratings lists and get analysis they don't understand over having a handful of 2200-2500 training partners that play like the cocky up-and-coming teenage master down at the chess club.

People like us (who actually play against the engines and value chess over ratings list drooling) go for the latter.

By the way Carl, which version of Goliath should I look into? I have Goliath Blitz, but should I have a look at one of the others?
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

BrendanJNorman wrote:

Cheers,
CL
These people are the same people who wouldn't understand a single move of Stockfish's analysis, because the point of each move arrives 10 ply down the line from their current position. These guys really get on my nerves actually haha.

They'd prefer idolize ratings lists and get analysis they don't understand over having a handful of 2200-2500 training partners that play like the cocky up-and-coming teenage master down at the chess club.

People like us (who actually play against the engines and value chess over ratings list drooling) go for the latter.

By the way Carl, which version of Goliath should I look into? I have Goliath Blitz, but should I have a look at one of the others?
I think the latest and strongest is LG Evolution, but I could be wrong. Strongest doesn't always mean the best style, as you well know by now. ;)
Jimbo I

Post by Jimbo I »

styx wrote:the first method failed. I guess the program can't find the proper engine path (although I specified it in the makefile)

the second method is working. thanks! :)
I couldn't get the engine to use the personality files. I finally discovered that if the path to the personality file had any spaces in it (mine did), the personality file wouldn't work. Instead of modifying the full path, my solution was to specify a path relative to the folder containing the Rodent engine. For example,

.\personalities\Fun\kinghunter.ini

The full paths to the Rodent book files didn't have this problem; They worked just fine.