New Pictures from Kasparov vs. Deep Blue

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Re: New Pictures from Kasparov vs. Deep Blue

Post by mar »

Volker Pittlik wrote:Sure! Just e-mail IBM. Only available with original hardware. Please have your credit card at hand.
Unlikely as they dismantled it after the rematch, they probably knew why...
acase
Full name: Andrew R Case

Post by acase »

bob wrote:
acase wrote:
MikeB wrote:
Steve Maughan wrote:I think these are some new pictures from Kasparov vs. Deep Blue

http://mashable.com/2016/02/10/kasparov ... UYEzkSGkqJ
Very cool - I wa actually there for the February 17th game in Philadelphia. Gary was a very gracious winner back then after he won. To be honest he should have won the second match , he simply psyched himself out thinking DB was invincible. DB would not even come close to Komodo on high end hardware. Zappa Mexico would give DB a good match.

Very well stated, and I agree, however I would have replaced Komodo with Stockfish, also I think the Deep Blue team should have granted Kasparov a rematch, but with the condition that there were no fees for Kasparov to collect other than living expenses (I.E. hotel and food , and perhaps a flight back to where he wanted).
After he accused them of cheating, no rematch was ever going to happen. Had he acted sensibly there is little doubt a rematch would have been granted. But once he pulled out the "cheating card" IBM was out of there...

You're probably right Bob, but the IBM team didn't have to mothball, and eventually dismantle, and get rid of Deep Blue either. They could have allowed other people to play it, and yes I understand that it was specialty hardware/software that required operators, but I'm sure they could have made it work eventually without a team of operators.
reflectionofpower

Post by reflectionofpower »

excellent,thanks for the artic;e
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
JoshPettus

Post by JoshPettus »

Oh wow! I did see small section of the Deep Thought (Predecessor of Deep Blue) source code mentioned on Tim Mann's old website, but I didn't know xboard itself was the UI for Deep Blue in that match! My has xboard has come a long way since then. :)
whereagles

Post by whereagles »

If I recall correctly, news was that Deep Blue was disabled and reassembled to do operations research calculations.
Rebel
Full name: Ed Schröder

Post by Rebel »

mar wrote:
Volker Pittlik wrote:Sure! Just e-mail IBM. Only available with original hardware. Please have your credit card at hand.
Not fully dismantled, 2 years later Deep Blue Junior was alive and well in the hall of the Paderborn University (Germany) during the WCCC in 1999 where people could play it via an Internet connection.
mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Post by mar »

Rebel wrote:Not fully dismantled, 2 years later Deep Blue Junior was alive and well in the hall of the Paderborn University (Germany) during the WCCC in 1999 where people could play it via an Internet connection.
Interesting, never heard of this.
Another thing is that IBM removed the original pages containing games and logs.
Ajedrecista

Re: New Pictures from Kasparov vs. Deep Blue.

Post by Ajedrecista »

Hello Martin:
mar wrote:Another thing is that IBM removed the original pages containing games and logs.
They are still in the web thanks to archive.org, as you surely know. I reached them via Reddit.

------------------------

@Steve: thank you very much for the info!

Regards from Spain.

Ajedrecista.
bob

Post by bob »

Daniel Anulliero wrote:Didn't know deep blue was winboard compatible 😊
Can we get it somewhere? 😁
They used xboard at ACM tournaments.
bob

Post by bob »

mar wrote:
1/2 of DB stands in the Smithsonian today...