free position analysis from Arena GUI

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

royb

Re: free position analysis from Arena GUI

Post by royb »

Nay Lin Tun wrote:Yes, I tested like that. But about 5-6 moves later, the GUI stop responding additional moves and the engine keep analyzing the last position for a while and then both GUI and engine stop working. I even tried the [cog wheel icon to make the move] and analyze icon alternatively,position--analyse, engine---automatic analysis , I mean I tried all available options but that doesn't work either. I checked the virus already. Btw, how many moves can u do in your computer with that analyze option until GUI or engine stop working.
Using Arena 3.5.1 (all I tested), I can analyze an entire game (more than 60 moves) without the engine stopping, without the GUI freezing up. I'm not sure what to suggest for you, other than to try SCID or SCID-vs-PC (both free downloads).
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

A Distel wrote:
hgm wrote:... so don't worry that your intelligence and winboard isn't always understood.
Actually it sounded not so much as a lack of understanding, as well as commenting on things you have never seen, and have no clue how they look.
A Distel

Post by A Distel »

hgm wrote:
A Distel wrote:
hgm wrote:... so don't worry that your intelligence and winboard isn't always understood.
Actually it sounded not so much as a lack of understanding, as well as commenting on things you have never seen, and have no clue how they look.
So, ...Why Winboard? Ininteresting discussion!

http://rybkaforum.net/cgi-bin/rybkaforu ... 24430;pg=2

And the more Mr.H.G.Muller can remove his ego from the discussion and focus on the subject matter, the more fruitful the conversation will be for all of us here! :D
The road to chaos is filled with political correctness.
― Tadros
Daniel Anulliero

Post by Daniel Anulliero »

A Distel wrote:
hgm wrote:
A Distel wrote:

And the more Mr.H.G.Muller can remove his ego from the discussion and focus on the subject matter, the more fruitful the conversation will be for all of us here! :D
Do you want to restart the polémics ? Useless ...
Every body is free to use what he want : arena, winboard, fritz , Bobcat ,Tarasch....
And show some respect to the forum guys please (like Hgm)
Don't waste your time for that here , go to rybka forum
😉
Roger Brown

Post by Roger Brown »

A Distel wrote:
hgm wrote:
A Distel wrote:

Hello Alain,

Actually your comment reveals a lack of understanding of the advances that have been made in the Winboard gui.

The protocol that an engine uses is now irrelevant thanks to that other brilliant invention by Fabien, Polyglot. Winboard supports both UCI and CECP transparently, so there is no need for the user to be concerned about which protocol an engine supports ir its popularity.

Your illustration of the popularity of the protocol used by engines nowadays vis a vis the gui shows that you are perhaps unaware of these developments.

You seem to be ignorant of how simple it is to use Winboard and any engine - well, we are excluding proprietary engines such as Fritz (and the death knell has been sounded with the latest version of that engine) - and that is not an ego matter.

On the matter of concern to the op, ChessGui is also an excellent alternative. Arena has mis-behaved on more than one occasion whilst performing multi-position, multi-engine analysis on my machine. Other guis do not.

Later.
hgm

Post by hgm »

A Distel wrote: So, ...Why Winboard? Ininteresting discussion!
For people that are not happy with Arena for interactive analysis, WinBoard would be a very good alternative, because
* it is reliable
* simple
* user friendly to operate
* easy to install
* free

You can analyze with two engines simultaneously, and the second engine can be easilytoggled on or off with a menu item or a keystroke. The engine output appears in a seperate window, that you can size to your needs (full screen, if necessary). Multi-PV setting can be changed by simple right-clicking in the engine-output window. Moves can be excluded or included by right-clicking them in a short list of relevant moves, wich you first generate by excluding the current best move by similar clicks. Or you can simply play them on the board keeping Ctrl pressed or grabbing the piece with a double click.

PVs can be visualized by right-clicking on them, which uses the board as variation board. By making such a click in the right place you can add the PV move to the game, or in fact any number of moves from it by scrolling to the position in it you want to continue with, before releasing the mouse button.

You can try new variations without losing the main line of the game by keeping Shift pressed on ther firsr move; you can then later restore the main line with the Revert menu item.

New engines are trivial to load by just browsing to the .exe, and the most recently used six engines can be directly loaded through a main menu items. All previously used engines can be selected from the listbox in the Load Engine menu dialog.
Nay Lin Tun

Post by Nay Lin Tun »

Omg, that simple old protocol suits all I need for serious analysis,unbelievable .I think arena has some bug with my window 10. Thank you very much.
A Distel

Post by A Distel »

Daniel Anulliero wrote:
A Distel wrote:
hgm wrote:
A Distel wrote:

Do you want to restart the polémics ? Useless ...
Every body is free to use what he want : arena, winboard, fritz , Bobcat ,Tarasch....
And show some respect to the forum guys please (like Hgm)
Don't waste your time for that here , go to rybka forum
😉

Hey, you can’t be serious, only fools believe that computer-chess is a respectful serious matter... but let me give you a funny practice! Next time you wake up in the morning... look in the mirror, and laugh at yourself.
The road to chaos is filled with political correctness.
― Tadros
hgm

Post by hgm »

Nay Lin Tun wrote:Omg, that simple old protocol suits all I need for serious analysis,unbelievable .I think arena has some bug with my window 10. Thank you very much.
WB protocol is regularly extended to meet the new demands that hardware and software developments pose. So it isn't really an old protocol. But whether features of a userinterface work will of course depend on the engine supporting them. If an engine does not support multi-PV or move exclusion, there is nothing a GUI can do. So for engines that use a sub-minimal protocol like UCI, you cannot expect them to offer or accept draws.