Go has fallen to computer domination?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

chessmobile

Re: Go has fallen to computer domination?

Post by chessmobile »

I would not be surprised if weird opening moves in chess will be proven to be good alternatives to the status quo by something similar like Alphachess AI.
towforce

Post by towforce »

It is now 2-0 to AlphaGo with only 3 games left. Enjoy the next few days - it seems likely to me that this is the last time that an event of this type on this scale will ever happen.

When new types of event come along that are fabulous, you assume they'll last forever - but unfortunately they mostly don't.

The only hope is that during the 1 day break, the human team find some weaknesses in AlphaGo's play.
Writing is the antidote to confusion.
It's not "how smart you are", it's "how are you smart".
Your brain doesn't work the way you want, so train it!
Leto

Post by Leto »

At the Rybka forum someone said that Lee Sedol has never lost four times in a row. He's only lost three times in a row twice, once in 2002, and once in 2012. This being a 5 game match, there's a possibility of that record being broken.
Leto

Post by Leto »

Here's the replays for game 1 and game 2, these are the official streams commentated by an english speaking 9 dan pro Michael Redmond.

game 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFr3K2DORc8
game 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-GsfyVCBu0
Jesse Gersenson

Post by Jesse Gersenson »

Leto wrote:At the Rybka forum someone said that Lee Sedol has never lost four times in a row. He's only lost three times in a row twice, once in 2002, and once in 2012. This being a 5 game match, there's a possibility of that record being broken.
I said that. Data from gobase.org, pid=7117 with an extra filter added by me. I removed 7% of games because I didn't understand the result format, perhaps these were the results of handicap matches (ex. black5.5 and white19.5 were excluded and whiteR and blackR were kept).

Since 2013, his longest losing streak has been exactly 2 games.
lucasart
Full name: lucasart

Post by lucasart »

lucasart wrote:
Laskos wrote:Fan Hui is 2p professional. 5-0 suggests at least 4p for AlphaGo. Also, it beats normal MC programs like Crazy Stone (say 5 dan on i7) by 99.8%, which suggests 8-10 more stones, also above 4p. This thing runs on 170 GPU cards and 1,200 standard processors, and assuming quadrupling for a stone, it has 5 stones advantage over normal hardware on KGS (say a cluster of 24 regular cores). Lee Sedol is above regular 9p. Let's see.
I would bet on Alpha Go. Lee Sedol is toast.
AlphaGo is steamrolling Lee Sedol. 3-0 already, and soon 5-0. This is an historic day!
Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

lucasart wrote:
lucasart wrote:
Laskos wrote:Fan Hui is 2p professional. 5-0 suggests at least 4p for AlphaGo. Also, it beats normal MC programs like Crazy Stone (say 5 dan on i7) by 99.8%, which suggests 8-10 more stones, also above 4p. This thing runs on 170 GPU cards and 1,200 standard processors, and assuming quadrupling for a stone, it has 5 stones advantage over normal hardware on KGS (say a cluster of 24 regular cores). Lee Sedol is above regular 9p. Let's see.
I would bet on Alpha Go. Lee Sedol is toast.
AlphaGo is steamrolling Lee Sedol. 3-0 already, and soon 5-0. This is an historic day!
It will probably be 3-0 but
I see only 2-0 at this point of time because game 3 is not over.
peter
Full name: Peter Martan

Post by peter »

But now it's 3-0
:!:
Peter.
Henk

Post by Henk »

These poor programmers or researchers that switched from Chess to GO after it appeared that Chess had been 'solved' where should they go to now ?
Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Post by Damir »

Are the rest of the 2 games going to be played, or is the match already finished ? I would love to see Sedol lose the last 2 games...