Go has fallen to computer domination?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

diep

Re: Go has fallen to computer domination?

Post by diep »

What's this Go thing?

google has alphago and how realistic is this facebook program darkforest?

Who are the programmers of alphago?

What i do understand is that you quickly declare a program to be strong enough to play one of the 9 dan players. What i do understand from my own go program experiments is that already 20 years ago i outsearched silly any existing go program - they just didn't know how to search. Of course the life and death analysis i hardly did do.

What i do understand is that in 2005 i talked to set up a match chessprogram versus Kramnik and very quickly the negotiation was about that some sort of appointed lumpsum kramnik wanted 100% pay out in case he lost or drew the match and 20% of the lumpsum had to get paid when software would lose the match.

Now i tried to reverse that 20% payout - yet that was non-negotiable.

In that sense it's peanuts for alphabet to buy a 9 dan player - especially if the guy says: "heh my 9 dan status i got from playing games against a human, some sort of exhibition match i don't care about". Usually that caring starts *after* they figure out there won't be a rematch.

How honest will this match be?

What i do understand is the computer shock. I had it myself as well. No go player is used to play a strong computer, like chessplayers are by now. Result in chess is that the top players are tactical way stronger nowadays in their games. Sure they make mistakes yet they blunder less pieces away.

If you do a simple blundercheck over games from start 90s, that's hundreds of elopoints weaker in world top versus todays world top - thanks to the computer.

In go they didn't go through that yet.

What i do understand is that the best chessplayers come from all over the world. If we select the best player from a couple of billions of players then you end up with way stronger players of course than if you select it from a 100 million japanese and some dozens of millions of koreans - the best chinese players play chess nowadays - that's for sure :)

What i do understand is that go is easy to search in a dubious manner. In chess you still need a way to explore even the most weird line as it's all about capturing his royal highness - whereas in go you can safely forward prune.

What i do understand from some stronger go players is that the average deep combination is 30 plies in stronger go (ladders not counted) whereas in stronger chess that's 10-12 plies (checks not counted).

What i do understand is that in opening as a FM, nearly IM though (got 2 IM norm results and would be pretty easily to get IM in fact if i'd play a tournament instead of just competition where you sometimes of course are in bad shape), that even todays software doesn't have a clue and that in go it actually seems tougher yet if you analyze it, that might not be the case.

You start with empty board. So that's similar to an endgame you start with. Now the real problem with go is that the branching factor is huge - yet other than that it should be way easier than the opening in chess from knowledge viewpoint seen.

If we look objectively then chessplayers still are impressive in making choices in opening/middlegame. Yet far endgame - i refer basically to endgames with less pawns or a few passed pawns - once a very weak area of chessprograms, they are really total superior there nowadays over humankind. And i say that as someone who is GM level in endgame (though not in my last game in Belgium league where i didn't win the endgame yet drew it - bit busy building 3d printer prototype for sales).

By the way Bob - a neural network only optimizes the heuristical PARAMETERS. It doesn't generate *knowledge*. We know from earlier attempts in computer go with good parameter tuning that this was very freakingly effective.

Yet that was playing go programs that already prune in the ROOT. Please realize that hard reality in go.

If you have something that randomly searches versus something that forward prunes hard in the root - then that explains the huge improvement of computer go software.

What i do realize is that because the board is larger yo usimply need a specific number of nodes a second. Some hundreds of millions preferably, to profit more from algorithmic improvements. You need to get that 30 plies.

What i do not know is how well it would scale strengthwise in go.

We'll see in March whether it's the kasparov/kramnik scenario. Yet i really wonder. Is facebook also serious or is this already a run race with some big pile of dollars changing hands and alphabet has something to brag about?
Jesse Gersenson

Post by Jesse Gersenson »

Laskos wrote:Synopsis of top Go professional's analysis of Google's Deepmind's Go AI
https://www.reddit.com/r/MachineLearnin ... alysis_of/

A small bit:
"Myungwan Kim (9p) says that with all his respect to the Google team, he thinks AlphaGo as it played against Fan Hui will have no chance against Lee Sedol. He says all pro's who've looked at these games generally agree that AlphaGo would need a one or two stone handicap against Lee Sedol."

One stone at this level is maybe worth 300 Elo points.

The 2 hour analysis itself is on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/NHRHUHW6HQE
But I have difficulty understanding both his English and his explanations.
I could see making the decision to play Sedol now, "Well guys, it's clear we'll beat Sedol in a year. Whether we could beat him now is not clear. So, let's make a contact which includes a guaranteed rematch, in one year, if we lose and which guarantees he won't play or publicly discuss any matches with other engines until 6 months after the rematch is over. To prepare for this year's match let's dedicate 5,000 cores to training the machine and 20,000 cores to the match - of course if you need anything to make this successful, just let me know."

The 9-dan player is qualified to comment on how the previous version of the program played but predications about the rate of improvement are technical questions which the Google developers are more qualified to comment on. Their comment is clear, we'll be ready to beat the strongest player in the world come March of 2016 or 2017.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Very good. I'm excited.

I'm not surprised it's a five game match again, although Kai didn't think it was likely.
Deasil is the right way to go.
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

Dirt wrote:Very good. I'm excited.

I'm not surprised it's a five game match again, although Kai didn't think it was likely.
I read somewhere sometime early it will be a 10 game match (jubango). 5 game is fine too, as the difference can be large, and 5-0 or 0-5 result is not unlikely.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

diep wrote:What's this Go thing?

google has alphago and how realistic is this facebook program darkforest?

Who are the programmers of alphago?

What i do understand is that you quickly declare a program to be strong enough to play one of the 9 dan players. What i do understand from my own go program experiments is that already 20 years ago i outsearched silly any existing go program - they just didn't know how to search. Of course the life and death analysis i hardly did do.
Who care about outsearching.

The target of the game is to win and the interesting question is if your program won against other go programs.
diep

Post by diep »

Because that implied that there was a lot to win in terms of search depth Uri.

They were forward pruning in the root back then and optimistically claimed 1 dan level with that (amateur dan).

Note i posted some years later some of the results i had seen. Namely that nullmove worked far better in go than it did do in chess.

The branching factor in go, without what later would be called LMR and which i already was doing back in the 90s (1999 version of diep for example), and which GCP also had invented long before Tord Romstad was posting about it, so without reductions which would be so effective in nowadays go yet only nullmove, i reached already quite remarkable searchdepths at a pentium-5 100Mhz, whereas there was 361 possibilities to start the game.

As an evaluation function i used something similar like Mark Boon at that time described.

So i did do a 3d order evaluation calculating the influence function of each group and did do incremental recognition on how large each group was. Of course without evlauation function at all searching deep would be easy.

Yet the branching factor is what i was amazed about - that it was this small - whereas i had expected a huge branching factor.

You simply have to get that 30+ plies (ladders and similar not counted) or you won't be able to play high level go. before you add LMR type approaches.

Instead of LMR for Go i would rather use a different sort of selectivity: namely you have a static function determining how good each move is and how many plies "reduction" each move gets. In Go this is a better concept than in chess.

This concept works very well for hashtable and hashtable isn't "dicking" you like it does with LMR.

A pure LMR in itself would be total idiocy in go as it's far easier to recognize which moves are interesting to investigate deeper. Quite some of the moves you easily can give a 20 ply reduction for example, whereas in chess that's impossible to do.

So with quite some cpu's it would be very easy to achieve 30+ plies in go.

At which point indeed evaluation function is far more important. Yet you have to go through that horizon barrier of 30 plies.

Once you get through this 30+ plies you beat the crap out of all these Monte Carlo type randomized approaches of course.
diep

Post by diep »

Hah i doubt they can play blitz games easily with a big hardware setup.

Typically starting up clusters with gpu's attached you need a specific overhead in time.

For example the SGI 3800 machine i ran at in 2003 it took 3 hours just to startup Diep initially.

So that was just typing: "diep" followed by enter and then sit and wait until it was running at all 500 processors (most of time i used 460 of the 512 processors and 12 of them were for OS type jobloads such as clockprocessor and so on, so only 500 were addressable).

Later that world championship lucky that long starting time i got faster. Initially to 1 hour and later on it took 10 minutes (when keeping the machine busy also overnight - partition had to keep 'activated').
Xann

Post by Xann »

Hi Vincent,

Welcome back!

Fabien.
diep

Post by diep »

Daniel Shawul wrote:Three of the team members have now said they are 'quietly confident' for the Lee Sedol match, which makes me think they must have something now they didn't use for the previous match. I don't think they would say that if the ELOs are to come from bigger hardware only. Re-training the networks requires more games, takes a valuable time which could be used for other things, and even then may not bring much benefit since the 57% prediction rate they have now could be close to optimal.
In those monte carlo random type approaches, going from say 1000 cores to say 1 million cores doesn't bring that much playing strength wise.

Elo isn't getting used in Go, last time i checked.

Realize very few people play go at a stronger level, yet don't underestimate the strength of those 9-dan players.

Question is: is it another kasparov scandal, as deep blue 2 typically was rated about todays 2300 elo practical. Some FM today who doesn't blunder too much totally would bust that 1997 machine and program, even if you'd equip it with a modern book and its book was pretty bad for those years. See how much effort kasparov did do to lose that 2nd match versus deep blue.

All kind of bizarre moves i would never play.

And you can lookup my rating.

So the question is what is the intention of alphabet with alphago?
Is it a real honest match or another kasparov scandal?

My suggestion is to completely ignore the match against the 2 dan guy. That's elo 1900 or something. A guy who makes lots of small mistakes and no one ever confronted that guy with those mistakes (they don't have very strong programs right now). Even if that would be closer to FM level than 1900 level, his only job was to take care he lost all games and quickly hand over the job to a 9-dan guy as it's google man. Alphabet is huge company, if not largest in the world practical right now, they already look better by just playing a 9-dan of course, so that's what you do.

BY THE WAY - i'm very amazed they called that 2 dan player "european champion". Some years ago i played here a 4-dan guy (he of course toasted me in a manner world hadn't seen before you could toast someone that bad). And he spoke Dutch... ...yet odds are he sits in Japan already for a few years now...
diep

Post by diep »

Xann wrote:

Hi Vincent,

Welcome back!

Fabien.
Allo allo allo!

Just checking the status of this match. In 2007 against a very angry professional Chinese go lady i said that computer would win sooner from the best 9-dan player than they'd guess because the human has one weakness that the computer doesn't have: money.

Logically computer should lose this first one match Fabien. 5-0. Any result that isn't 5-0 nor 0-5 is not a result that is possible in go, only on paper :)

Do not forget the huge difference between chess and go - after the first few moves in go - the rest of the moves you can play pretty perfect if you are at this high dan level. In chess - forget perfection.

that's the unknown entity.

Ok back to my 3d printers...