Texel 1.06a19 Chess engine

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

supersharp77

Texel 1.06a19 Chess engine

Post by supersharp77 »

Texel 1.06a19 Chess Engine.........enjoy!! AR :) :wink:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwDWup ... view?pli=1
overlord

Re: Texel 1.06a19 Chess engine

Post by overlord »

Maybe interim version, but definitely stronger than Texel 1.05 :)
petero2
Full name: Peter Osterlund

Post by petero2 »

SzG wrote:
supersharp77 wrote:Texel 1.06a19 Chess Engine.........enjoy!! AR :) :wink:

Peter is a regular poster here so I'd wait till he announces the release. Judging from the a19 suffix I guess this is not an official release, just an interim version.
The "a" is short for "alpha", so it is indeed a development version, not a "real" release. Texel is open source and I don't mind if people use the development versions. However I think it is best if rating lists stay with the released versions in order to get smaller error bars.

The latest development version is usually available in my public dropbox folder. Currently the latest development version is 106a34:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/896 ... l106a34.7z
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

petero2 wrote:
SzG wrote:
supersharp77 wrote:Texel 1.06a19 Chess Engine.........enjoy!! AR :) :wink:

Peter is a regular poster here so I'd wait till he announces the release. Judging from the a19 suffix I guess this is not an official release, just an interim version.
The "a" is short for "alpha", so it is indeed a development version, not a "real" release. Texel is open source and I don't mind if people use the development versions. However I think it is best if rating lists stay with the released versions in order to get smaller error bars.

The latest development version is usually available in my public dropbox folder. Currently the latest development version is 106a34:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/896 ... l106a34.7z
For those with a Mac - this was complied with march=corei7, if you need a less optimized version let me know - texel106a34

Code: Select all

Some pseudo benchmarks with default hash on a Mac Pro 2010 (12 core):
go depth 20:
one thread:  info nodes 65997748 nps 1480766 time 44570
bestmove e2e4 ponder c7c5

12 threads: info nodes 88523629 nps 14278004 time 6200

24 threads: info nodes 57851481 nps 17171707 time 3369
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hi Peter,

yes, for us (People working on a rating list) it's better not to have each month a new version. The poroduced rating is much better and for sure the improvements to the next / follow version are better to see.

On the other hand ...
Texel 1.05 is over a year old and maybe it's time for an official release? I am sure you have reasons not to release Texel 1.06?

Texel is great for each of us.
Very fine software and of course ... your Droidfish on my Smartphone too (my main program on my smartphone and tablet).

Have a good new year.
Hope that I can see in the future many new Texel versions.

Best
Frank
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Frank Quisinsky wrote:On the other hand ...
Texel 1.05 is over a year old and maybe it's time for an official release? I am sure you have reasons not to release Texel 1.06?...........
Hi Frank,

I think that we should let engine authors release when they're ready to, without them feeling pressured to do so.
Just my opinion of course.

Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Frank Quisinsky

Hi Graham,

that is right but in case of Texel I am to pry!

On my Q9550 systems Texel Alpha is running since yesterday and I can see here very nice games and results. I like to know why the programmer will not released the new version. Such information can be very interesting, not only for interviews. Believe me ... if I start an interview with the Texel programmer ... this will be the first question.

I wrote for around two years in the playing style description that I am thinking that Texel will be one of the TOP-5 engines in the next years. Today I have the same opinion ... Engine have a lot of potential in my opinion. Each information about Texel and development is in my opinion ... a ... nice to have and important for the future.

Best
Frank
supersharp77

Post by supersharp77 »

Frank Quisinsky wrote:Hi Graham,

that is right but in case of Texel I am to pry!

On my Q9550 systems Texel Alpha is running since yesterday and I can see here very nice games and results. I like to know why the programmer will not released the new version. Such information can be very interesting, not only for interviews. Believe me ... if I start an interview with the Texel programmer ... this will be the first question.

I wrote for around two years in the playing style description that I am thinking that Texel will be one of the TOP-5 engines in the next years. Today I have the same opinion ... Engine have a lot of potential in my opinion. Each information about Texel and development is in my opinion ... a ... nice to have and important for the future.

Best
Frank
Great question Frank!! Link was found completely by chance somewhere
although a Texel 1.08 I believe is being tested somewhere and a 1.08 android was released by someone........and no chess engine links at all available on the authors homepage.....curious situation......AR
petero2
Full name: Peter Osterlund

Post by petero2 »

Frank Quisinsky wrote:Texel 1.05 is over a year old and maybe it's time for an official release? I am sure you have reasons not to release Texel 1.06?
I ran a hyper-bullet (0.08s / move) test on my computers and 106a34 was 22 elo stronger than 105. In typical rating list conditions this might shrink to half of that, which will be hard to measure.
Frank Quisinsky

Hi Peter,

thanks!
I have 400 games vs. 10 opponents I like and saw a lot of nice games here. I believe again more aggressive with many pieces on board (like that).

Keep up to good work you do.

Best
Frank

PS: If I added the games in my FCP Rating List (but played on older "SWCR, my older rating list" Q9550 hardware) I can see 38 Elo+. But other Hardware = other conditions and not enough games and opponents ... not very important.