Komodo 9.3 speed measurement

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Re: Komodo 9.3 speed measurement

Post by Vinvin »

Werewolf wrote:Bob,

I will double check this tomorrow and get back to you. The reason I mentioned this is because I have this strange recollection of either Don or Larry talking about Komodo's non-deterministic search on a single thread.

But I might be going senile...
I pointed this strange thing here :
http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... 773#647773
bob

Post by bob »

Werewolf wrote:Bob,

I will double check this tomorrow and get back to you. The reason I mentioned this is because I have this strange recollection of either Don or Larry talking about Komodo's non-deterministic search on a single thread.

But I might be going senile...
I would feel quite safe in saying that I doubt that is intended. But here are some typical no-no's for testing:

running multiple positions in one pass. Then picking one of those out and running it by itself. Most programs don't clear absolutely everything, so you get some cross-over informational exchange that can alter the trees.

running a program that has a persistent hash that survives across different runs. This is way problematic in that the first run then influences the second, reducing predictability.

Having (for Crafty) .craftyrc files laying around that you forget about, then you run a test in one directory and the second in another. And get different results with different hash sizes, etc.

My primary debugging tool is node counts. Much of what I change should not affect the tree at all, but frequently it does. I test until it doesn't, fixing whatever was incidentally broken.
Jouni

Post by Jouni »

Note, that Komodo don't clear hash between positions in Arena - can be reason to differences?
Jouni
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

That could be part of it, as could the fact that timed runs can vary, depending on what else the processor is doing. Try fixed depth, and clearing the hash between positions/
RJN

Post by RJN »

Just a heads up, one issue I have had in the past with Arena occurs when using the common hash setting. Sometimes the engine can run at default hash, no matter what common is set at.

For this reason, I don't use global hash in Arena anymore, and set it for each engine individually.
i7-5930K @4.5GHz, H100i Hydro Cooler, 64GB DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum @3000MHz, ASUS X99 Deluxe mboard, 1TB EVO 850 SSD