Fritz 15.0

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mvk

Re: Fritz 15.0

Post by mvk »

I suppose not giving attribution in the hypothetical case (here: selling Syzygy probing code without attribution) would be illegal as well, just of no economic consequence. The here-invented "legal" vs "moral" dichotomy is misleading in the context of copyright: it covers both economical rights (transferable) and moral rights (non-transferable), and both are legal rights:
Wikipedia wrote:Moral rights are rights of creators of copyrighted works generally recognized in civil law jurisdictions and, to a lesser extent, in some common law jurisdictions.
[Account deleted]
rabbits23

Post by rabbits23 »

I have corresponded with people like yourself, Bob, Tord and Fabien so I understand the open source philosophy.

I guess I find the thought that a commercial entity can rip free software and make a huge profit, repugnant.
That's capitalism for you.
Allan
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

syzygy wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Roger Brown wrote:I guess I find the thought that a commercial entity can rip free software and make a huge profit, repugnant.
Yep.

A simple copyright notice would fix this.

The Stockfish chess engine and its components although distributed as freeware in no way might become subject to any form of commerce.
That would be against the GPL.
Sure.

But nothing stops them to add a clause.
ChessBase is free to sell SF provided they comply with the terms of the GPL.
Like anyone else.

In theory I could bundle SF (and others) with Arena (since the author gave me permission) and sell it. Actually it surprises me nobody ever tried.
Roger Brown

Post by Roger Brown »

Rebel wrote: In theory I could bundle SF (and others) with Arena (since the author gave me permission) and sell it. Actually it surprises me nobody ever tried.

Hush!

Later.
A Distel

Post by A Distel »

Frayer wrote / Rybka Forum:

N/- By Frayer Date 2015-11-22 09:52

Are you guys out of your minds over here?

No one seems to care many of us have already seen this new fritz engine in action. It is not any Elo points stronger than anything. From what I have witnessed even on 36 cores it can't punch its way out of a wet paper bag. The testers informed me it looked like a renamed rybka 4.1 (the exe. file is slightly larger than 4.1 and its output is still obfuscated to conceal it identity). I watched it lose over and over to Komodos and Stockfish in two separate tours on two different servers. (Infinity and Chessbase) The game I provided as an example is Fritz 15 running on 36 cores being beat down by a stockfish compile running on 4 cores. Reports from the early testers say scaling on multiple cores is poor at best. Personally I would rather have KnightStalker back.

Most of us will buy f15 for the new gui but those who believe this is some kind a come back for Rybka are going to be sadly mistaken. Don't let hero worship divest you of your money again.
The road to chaos is filled with political correctness.
― Tadros
velmarin

Post by velmarin »

It seems to me fair Vasik Rajlich decides to continue with its work in Rybka.
But Fritz loses his personality.
Fritz 15 seems clearly a continuation of Rybka.

velmarin

Post by velmarin »

At least it is significant.
Compared with a 51 against Stockfish, for example.
A Distel

Post by A Distel »

velmarin wrote:It seems to me fair Vasik Rajlich decides to continue with its work in Rybka.

It's 35 elo stronger than Rybka 4.1 ....Wow, Well, any good comeback needs some true believers. Gee, that's the greatest comeback since Lazarus. :shock:
The road to chaos is filled with political correctness.
― Tadros
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

SzG wrote:
velmarin wrote:It seems to me fair Vasik Rajlich decides to continue with its work in Rybka.

Is 63,81 % very much?
It's significantly stronger (some 40 ELO points) than and very related to Rybka 4.1. All in all, it's Rybka 5.

Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Laskos wrote: It's significantly stronger (some 40 ELO points) than and very related to Rybka 4.1. All in all, it's Rybka 5.

Image[/url]
Agreed. However, IPON is rating it only 28 elo above Rybka 4.0
I wonder if this is the cluster version with the improvements which didn't make it into UCI.