Droidfish issue since latest security update on S6 edge

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

chessmobile

Re: Droidfish issue since latest security update on S6 edge

Post by chessmobile »

Just updated and still using Galaxy Note II, now it is stuck at 193 kn/s. Swiping from the left brings up the menu options but "Manage Chess Engines" only brings up "Select Engine" or "Configure Network Engine" which both lead to dead ends when trying to select the number of threads to use.
petero2
Full name: Peter Osterlund

Post by petero2 »

chessmobile wrote:Just updated and still using Galaxy Note II, now it is stuck at 193 kn/s. Swiping from the left brings up the menu options but "Manage Chess Engines" only brings up "Select Engine" or "Configure Network Engine" which both lead to dead ends when trying to select the number of threads to use.
In version 1.59 you can only change UCI settings when the engine is not "thinking". Since this is too hard to figure out I have changed it so that you can edit the options even when the engine is thinking, but the changes will not take effect until you stop/restart the thinking process.

If you want to try the latest development version you can get it from here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/896 ... idFish.apk
chessmobile

Post by chessmobile »

petero2 wrote:
chessmobile wrote:Just updated and still using Galaxy Note II, now it is stuck at 193 kn/s. Swiping from the left brings up the menu options but "Manage Chess Engines" only brings up "Select Engine" or "Configure Network Engine" which both lead to dead ends when trying to select the number of threads to use.
In version 1.59 you can only change UCI settings when the engine is not "thinking". Since this is too hard to figure out I have changed it so that you can edit the options even when the engine is thinking, but the changes will not take effect until you stop/restart the thinking process.

If you want to try the latest development version you can get it from here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/896 ... idFish.apk
Just did an uninstall/reinstall and made sure to open it and go straight to the settings. This time I was able to get the UCI options menu. Now DroidFish is back to running on 4 threads.
Thanks
abik
Full name: Aart Bik

Post by abik »

Max wrote:Unfortunately Aart Biks "Chess for Android" has the same problem now! The 3-dot menu disappears immediately after tapping. Can’t select new game or level any more.
Sorry, I was out of the chess loop for a bit, and was hoping Samsung would fix this eventually. However, since this seems a more persistent problem, I am planning to provide a flexible way around such issues in Reversi/Checkers/Chess for Android soon.....
overlord

Post by overlord »

Peter, last versions of Droidfish have very serious bug. There is no new game button. Without that it cannot be practically used.
Max

Post by Max »

overlord wrote:Peter, last versions of Droidfish have very serious bug. There is no new game button. Without that it cannot be practically used.
Swipe from the right corner :idea:
Hope we're not just the biological boot loader for digital super intelligence. Unfortunately, that is increasingly probable - Elon Musk
Max

Post by Max »

abik wrote:
Max wrote:Unfortunately Aart Biks "Chess for Android" has the same problem now! The 3-dot menu disappears immediately after tapping. Can’t select new game or level any more.
Sorry, I was out of the chess loop for a bit, and was hoping Samsung would fix this eventually. However, since this seems a more persistent problem, I am planning to provide a flexible way around such issues in Reversi/Checkers/Chess for Android soon.....
Great news Aart .. and good to see you back. :)
Hope we're not just the biological boot loader for digital super intelligence. Unfortunately, that is increasingly probable - Elon Musk
overlord

Post by overlord »

I already found it :) It is on completly different place (in the section Stockfish - top part of the screen, not in M section under chessboard).
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

This is very nice.
I sold the slow nexus 5x and have now the
Samsung s6 edge plus !!!

Exynos 8 core CPU with big cache, good for chess !!!!!
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
abik
Full name: Aart Bik

Post by abik »

abik wrote:
I just released new versions of my applications on Google Play that allow opening the options menu with a simple swipe up gesture. However, since I don't have a S6, I cannot test if this works (not sure if it is a menu button issue, or a more general options menu support issue at this point). Can somebody kindly try this out and report back?