pikoSzachy (yet more) Extreme Edition

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

tmokonen
Full name: Tony Mokonen

Re: pikoSzachy (yet more) Extreme Edition

Post by tmokonen »

It's probably the EXE compressor Piotr uses that is causing the security warnings. A lot of malware uses EXE compression as a form of encryption, to hide nefarious activity, so antivirus programs flag compressed files as viruses as a "better safe than sorry" measure. I am certain that a well established program such as pikoSzachy is clean, though, and that your antivirus is causing a false positive to occur. Your antivirus software should be able to allow you to make an exception for Pikoszachy, so that you can get it to run.
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Post by Sylwy »

tmokonen wrote:It's probably the EXE compressor Piotr uses that is causing the security warnings. A lot of malware uses EXE compression as a form of encryption, to hide nefarious activity, so antivirus programs flag compressed files as viruses as a "better safe than sorry" measure. I am certain that a well established program such as pikoSzachy is clean, though, and that your antivirus is causing a false positive to occur. Your antivirus software should be able to allow you to make an exception for Pikoszachy, so that you can get it to run.
In my systems (with AviraPro and Bitdefender) all is OK !

SilvianR :wink:
Werner
Full name: Werner Schüle

Post by Werner »

Hi Piotr,
thanks for the new versions. My Kaspersky deletes both Pico Szachy engines at once :evil:
Werner
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

tmokonen wrote:... Your antivirus software should be able to allow you to make an exception for Pikoszachy, so that you can get it to run.
--- bad proposal ! :!: :!: :!:

The only thing that makes sense is that the author should stop compressing his engines for the fame of pseudo-small-size.

(or he should offer compressed and uncompressed versions)

Matthias.
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de
Piotr Cichy

Post by Piotr Cichy »

Matthias Gemuh wrote:
The only thing that makes sense is that the author should stop compressing his engines for the fame of pseudo-small-size.

(or he should offer compressed and uncompressed versions)

Matthias.
I am aware of problems with antiviruses for all versions of nano- and pikoSzachy and the solution is to offer uncompressed versions (that was already done in the past for earlier versions). However, I will not stop to compress the executables, because my engines are designed to be compressed. I focus on the size of compressed version and this requires other concepts than in case of focusing on uncompressed size.

I apologize all of You having problems with security warnings and will prepare uncompressed versions next week.
Piotr Cichy

Re: My test

Post by Piotr Cichy »

Thank you for the test!
Piotr Cichy

Post by Piotr Cichy »

Unpacked versions of pikoSzachy 4.1 and pikoSzachy Extreme Edition 2 are available:

http://www.kalisz.mm.pl/~pic/nanochess/ ... packed.zip
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Piotr Cichy wrote:Unpacked versions of pikoSzachy 4.1 and pikoSzachy Extreme Edition 2 are available:

Thanks Piotr. :)
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Werner
Full name: Werner Schüle

Post by Werner »

Piotr Cichy wrote:Unpacked versions of pikoSzachy 4.1 and pikoSzachy Extreme Edition 2 are available:
Thanks Piotr
Werner