Komodo vs Humanity: Nakamura Will Give It A Go

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

AdminX

Komodo vs Humanity: Nakamura Will Give It A Go

Post by AdminX »

Chess.com wrote: "Komodo, the strongest chess engine, recently faced several grandmasters in odds matches. The next player to represent humanity will be Hikaru Nakamura.
Nakamura will play six games against Komodo, 3-4 November. "

Two games with f-pawn odds;
Two games with exchange odds (Nakamura playing black without his b8 knight and Komodo without the a1 rook;
Two games with move-odds to be determined (e.g. Nakamura gets to play the first four moves without crossing the fifth rank as White, or bad moves by Komodo such as 1.e4 f6 2.d4 Kf7).

http://www.chess.com/news/komodo-vs-hum ... -a-go-6514
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Re: Komodo vs Humanity: Nakamura Will Give It A Go

Post by Jhoravi »

I love it! I hope they won't include the "Bad moves by Komodo" handicap
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

This may not be the best training for Hikaru, but I bet he finds it interesting. That's an important part of being a chess professional.
Deasil is the right way to go.
Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Post by Vinvin »

Jhoravi wrote:I love it! I hope they won't include the "Bad moves by Komodo" handicap
I hope too... "Nakamura gets to play the first four moves without crossing the fifth" seems nice !
reflectionofpower

Post by reflectionofpower »

I would find it more interesting if they just played tit 4 tat straight chess.
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
stevenaaus

Post by stevenaaus »

Hmmm - no. No interest in seeing computers beat up GMs nowadays.
Odds/etc sounds like fun to me :P
reflectionofpower

stevenaaus wrote:Hmmm - no. No interest in seeing computers beat up GMs nowadays.
No fun?? There are many who still think like me. It's obvious that a (C) can kick anyone's azz on the planet on = terms but there are some in the human race that still think humans are stronger believe it or not. I am not one of them.

What I would like to see is some GM(s) handling the defensive end of some wild gambits because if you play gambits against a computer you will lose but against humans you can pull it off.

So I would like to see a (C) trying all out to attack the defender (GM)
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

reflectionofpower wrote:
stevenaaus wrote:Hmmm - no. No interest in seeing computers beat up GMs nowadays.
No fun?? There are many who still think like me. It's obvious that a (C) can kick anyone's azz on the planet on = terms but there are some in the human race that still think humans are stronger believe it or not. I am not one of them.

What I would like to see is some GM(s) handling the defensive end of some wild gambits because if you play gambits against a computer you will lose but against humans you can pull it off.

Well, I believe that if Nakamura acchieves a really good result in those odds games there might be some interest (on both sides - depending also on the involved money) to give the everlasting fight on normal terms a new chance.
A pity though there is no time control mentioned for those games. It seems the popular chess media and its followers have no clue about the importance of the time control for the Human side.

Anyhow my congrats for the Komodo team for that challenge.

Guenther
reflectionofpower

Guenther wrote:
reflectionofpower wrote:

Well, I believe that if Nakamura acchieves a really good result in those odds games there might be some interest (on both sides - depending also on the involved money) to give the everlasting fight on normal terms a new chance.
A pity though there is no time control mentioned for those games. It seems the popular chess media and its followers have no clue about the importance of the time control for the Human side.

Anyhow my congrats for the Komodo team for that challenge.

Guenther
Nakamura said himself a year ago or in St. Louis that (C) will kill him or a GM. I wish him the best. He IS going to be WC soon. Carlsen is fading, he has lost the hunger. It's harder staying on top than climbing. Just my opinion ...

Lonnie
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Vinvin wrote:
Jhoravi wrote:I love it! I hope they won't include the "Bad moves by Komodo" handicap
I hope too... "Nakamura gets to play the first four moves without crossing the fifth" seems nice !
Abomination of the classic chess game....

I wonder what will they invent further in the odd matches topic....

It's obvious that Komodo will most probably crush the human GM so why don't we observe a normal game of chess to see how long will he survive :!: :?:

What's next,the crippled human is to make the first 12 moves and then the chess engine start playing :!: :?:

:shock:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….