My computer is rebooting alone. Please help

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Kempelen

My computer is rebooting alone. Please help

Post by Kempelen »

Hello.....
Me asking for help :(
My computer is crashing during my engine Rodin testing. I have not seen it: I left the computer running long testing tournaments, and after four to eight hours and after a lot of fast games, I see the computer restarted and the desktop screen. I dont know what is causing the reboots, but I know is not any new feature of my engine because I have tested it with old versions which went good in the past. I have not changed nothing in the configuration: no new engines, no new software, no antivirus, no internet connection, no unnecesary services, ..... nothing special.
When restarted, I cann't see any windows log about what could happen, but I see an entry that say the computer has restarted and was not clean rebooted last time: a sympton of an unknow crash I think, maybe a hardware problem. The computer has only two years old.
I ask here if somebody can advise me on how to localize the error, what is causing the problem and try to fix this issue. Now I have an unoperative computer :(
Thank you very much
Fermin
Fermin Serrano
Author of 'Rodin' engine
http://sites.google.com/site/clonfsp/
jpqy

Re: My computer is rebooting alone. Please help

Post by jpqy »

Hi Fermin..

2years running..have you clean your computer from dust in that time..

JP.
Kempelen

Post by Kempelen »

jpqy wrote:Hi Fermin..

2years running..have you clean your computer from dust in that time..

JP.
I cleaned more that 8 or 9 months ago. I will try again this evening.
Good idea, thanks
Fermin Serrano
Author of 'Rodin' engine
http://sites.google.com/site/clonfsp/
Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Post by Vinvin »

May be it's too hot. Try to know the temperature of the CPU with some utils.
Or may be there's some electrical problems on the main board (a bad capacitor or whatever).
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Is this a laptop? If not it could be a defect in the power supply, which causes a power glitch that triggers the power-on reset. I once had that problem in a VCR: I could not record on the timer, because it would always stop after 10 min or so. When the error became more frequent I could observe them on an oscilloscope. Turned out the power transistor of the volatge stabilizer had an internally broken wire, that off and on made contact or not.
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

You could download and run a temperature monitoring program such as SpeedFan or HWMonitor while you stress test your computer.

Also, you could visually inspect the power connections from your power supply to the motherboard. A bad connection can cause reboots, especially under high demand.

As HG mentioned, the culprit could be the power supply (PSU). But without diagnostic equipment, it is hard to determine if that is the problem. You would need to install a different PSU to see if the problem goes away.
Sven
Full name: Sven Schüle

Post by Sven »

Kempelen wrote:Hello.....
Me asking for help :(
My computer is crashing during my engine Rodin testing. I have not seen it: I left the computer running long testing tournaments, and after four to eight hours and after a lot of fast games, I see the computer restarted and the desktop screen. I dont know what is causing the reboots, but I know is not any new feature of my engine because I have tested it with old versions which went good in the past. I have not changed nothing in the configuration: no new engines, no new software, no antivirus, no internet connection, no unnecesary services, ..... nothing special.
When restarted, I cann't see any windows log about what could happen, but I see an entry that say the computer has restarted and was not clean rebooted last time: a sympton of an unknow crash I think, maybe a hardware problem. The computer has only two years old.
I ask here if somebody can advise me on how to localize the error, what is causing the problem and try to fix this issue. Now I have an unoperative computer :(
Thank you very much
Fermin
Nothing unusual in the Windows event logs? Did Windows write a memory dump?
Extraordinary memory consumption of your engine?
Problems with TB access, maybe harddisk related?
Are played games saved step by step? Can you see how many games were completed before rebooting?
Does the problem disappear if you only play 1/10 of the games (which would also allow to permanently watch the computer during the test run)?
Any extraordinary long games (although I can't imagine how that would not crash the engine but would crash the OS)?
What did you change before this behaviour began to appear?

Just some thoughts ...
Norbert Raimund Leisner

Post by Norbert Raimund Leisner »

shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

If its crashing while running the Engine it means your RAM is fried, dude.
You need new RAM.
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Post by Vinvin »

shrapnel wrote:If its crashing while running the Engine it means your RAM is fried, dude.
You need new RAM.
It's not the only possible reason.