The future of chess and elo ratings

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

carldaman

Re: I found my way ...

Post by carldaman »

Frank Quisinsky wrote:Hi Chris,

you know that all available engines - newest versions (TOP-50) - are playing on FCT Rating List.

Only a hand full engines don't understand different main lines. Can be see in eval very easy (good examples: Alfil, Vajolet, SmarThink, Fizbo and in most of cases in open positions). Different other engines can Play ECO codes very exactly and produced much better results (Texel is a good example).

Belivie me, I am working now so many time on this book and know the openings and engines styles. In most of cases I know if I have to check variants in detail if I see this one ...

Example:
SmarThink - Fizbo and both give -0.8 after opening book moves. Most of other engines give -0.2 for the same position. Allways the same openings I must check in detail ... A57, A99, E99, C30-C39 and so one.

I deactivated over 2.000 lines in my opening book. Possible that I am wrong in maybe 100 cases, I don't know. You can see the lines I deactivated (f = bad line, e = fast draw game undo move 20).

I checked the ECO codes again and again ... all main lines from all 500 ECO codes are active.

I think an opening book for all engines is most compliacted. To create an opening book for one engine is very easy.

With the chess knowledge I have I can't make it better and the system I am using for my book optimations works fine.

Try out my book.
1.000 games between two engines you like.
After such a test-run you have to check the database and you can see ...

1. Optimal priorities for most improtant ECO codes.
2. No double games to 99,85%.
3. You will find perhaps 10 games with critical lines only.

The result of all is a very exactly Rating List. At the moment are 400 games in my 120.800 database with critical lines (all are corrected in my book).

Bad is only ... the 400 games aren't replayed. But I think this one isn't important. Easy, I overview the games (I check each of the games). The new tool by Ferdinand helps a lot.

But I am really shocked to find 400 bad lines in my book after I check the 120.800 database with the new tool by Ferdinand.

Best
Frank
I've used your pgn books/suites in the past, Frank. Do you have a pgn or abk version of your current book?

Thanks,
Carl
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Re: I found my way ...

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hi Carl,

I don't work with Arena (*.abk file).
I don't have a *.pgn file from my opening book.

But you can used my database with the tools by Norm and Ferdinand it's very easy!

What did you need?

A database 12 or 14 half moves (truncate tool by Norm).
Without doubles (with doubles can be interesting for opening book stats).

eval not higher as ...
White move 0.6 and black move 0.4
or White move 0.7 and black move 0.5
can be select out with the tool by Ferdinand.

Again, with my opening book all important lines played.
All can be created from my FCP Rating List database in a handfull of steps.

I can create it if you like ...
For Arena you can used the PGN random option with such a strong *.pgn database.

Best
Frank