Error in ChessGUI

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: Error in ChessGUI

Post by hgm »

Krzysztof Grzelak wrote:Please begin to thinking head. Not what different. The fact that the program operates in both 32 bit and 64 bit does not mean that the 64-bit version will not be better than 32-bit when it comes to chess.
Apparently you understand nothing about computers. IT DOES NOT MAKE THE SLIGHTEST DIFFERENCE WHETHER A GUI IS 32 or 64 BIT. GUIs do nothing that would go faster if they were 64 bit. And even if it would make them 100 times faster, it would still not matter, because they don't consume any significant amount of time, and zero divided by 100 is still zero.

Please drop the silly superstitions.
Krzysztof Grzelak

Post by Krzysztof Grzelak »

hgm wrote:Apparently you understand nothing about computers. IT DOES NOT MAKE THE SLIGHTEST DIFFERENCE WHETHER A GUI IS 32 or 64 BIT. GUIs do nothing that would go faster if they were 64 bit. And even if it would make them 100 times faster, it would still not matter, because they don't consume any significant amount of time, and zero divided by 100 is still zero.

You have a 64-bit system. Chess engine which is better to use 64 bit or 32 bit.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Krzysztof Grzelak wrote:
hgm wrote:Apparently you understand nothing about computers. IT DOES NOT MAKE THE SLIGHTEST DIFFERENCE WHETHER A GUI IS 32 or 64 BIT. GUIs do nothing that would go faster if they were 64 bit. And even if it would make them 100 times faster, it would still not matter, because they don't consume any significant amount of time, and zero divided by 100 is still zero.

64-bit engines operate with 64-bits under ChessGUI is what we're trying to say.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Krzysztof Grzelak wrote:You have a 64-bit system. Chess engine which is better to use 64 bit or 32 bit.
Should I remind you that a GUI is NOT an engine?
Krzysztof Grzelak

Post by Krzysztof Grzelak »

It's maybe a little different.You have installed Gui on 64-bit system. Which engine to run 64-bit system. Engine 64 bit or 32 bit.
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

Krzysztof Grzelak wrote:

There is no advantage in compiling ChessGUI as 64 bit GUI.
There is however a disadvantage : the 64-bit GUI would not run in 32-bit environment.
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de
RJN

Post by RJN »

Krzysztof Grzelak wrote:
It's maybe a little different.You have installed Gui on 64-bit system. Which engine to run 64-bit system. Engine 64 bit or 32 bit.
Seriously? You are comparing apples to oranges.
i7-5930K @4.5GHz, H100i Hydro Cooler, 64GB DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum @3000MHz, ASUS X99 Deluxe mboard, 1TB EVO 850 SSD
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

The main job of the chess GUI is to start processes with relevant parameters and occasionally collect data from those processes.

The spawned processes run in their own address space, whatever that may be. A 32 bit process with run in 32 bit address space, and a 64 bit process will run in 64 bit address space.

These chess processes communicate with the chess GUI via means of character strings. It is very much like the Unix pipe metaphor.

The amount of time needed to read these character strings is very, very tiny.

The amount of CPU consumed by the chess GUI is negligible.

Change of the chess GUI to 64 bits will not have any perceptible affect on the performance of the GUI except that it will not operate at all on 32 bit platforms if recompiled for 64 bits.
Roger Brown

Post by Roger Brown »

Dann Corbit wrote:The main job of the chess GUI is to start processes with relevant parameters and occasionally collect data from those processes.

The spawned processes run in their own address space, whatever that may be. A 32 bit process with run in 32 bit address space, and a 64 bit process will run in 64 bit address space.

These chess processes communicate with the chess GUI via means of character strings. It is very much like the Unix pipe metaphor.

The amount of time needed to read these character strings is very, very tiny.

The amount of CPU consumed by the chess GUI is negligible.

Change of the chess GUI to 64 bits will not have any perceptible affect on the performance of the GUI except that it will not operate at all on 32 bit platforms if recompiled for 64 bits.

Hello Dann,

You do know that in this thread are two gui authors who have written working and excellent guis? I know that you know!

Let's see if you get back the minutes of your life that you spent here in an attempt to educate.

Later.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

I thought it likely that KG simply did not understand the issues at hand. I do not know if my explanations were of any help, but perhaps so or perhaps not. I won't lose sleep over losing 45 seconds of my time.