TCEC: Whats Martin Thoresen point in doing that?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Modern Times

Re: TCEC: Whats Martin Thoresen point in doing that?

Post by Modern Times »

Dann Corbit wrote: I also do not fault the authors for submitting buggy entrants. Consider that very, very few have access to 20 core machines to test. So the extreme stress from a TCEC game is very hard to simulate.
My understanding was that Martin was stress-testing each engine on 20 cores before starting the real tournament, and eliminating the buggy entrants beforehand. I thought that was one of the reasons for the delay with TCEC8.
Martin Thoresen

Post by Martin Thoresen »

Alibaba wrote:beside the Trouble with Alfil in stage 1b there is another big issue to solve....

I don't understand why Martin let a totally Buggy Version of Junior (the Version 13.8) Play in stage 1b. Junior lost already 2 games because of the bugs but nothing is changed.
Especially because there a stable Versions of Junior (Version 13 and 13.3) with nearly the same strength as 13.8.

And this bug was well known in the Computer chess Scene.
So can anyone understand what will Martin Show us with this behavior?

The Point that Junior will not qualify for the stage 2 is not the only Problem here, maybe there will be a few games in which Junior will not Crash and can Play mit full strength...and take hat Points from the Opponent in other games it will Crash and give some opponents the Point as a gift. that like a lottery and has nothing to do with a serious tournament.
There is a reason I don't visit this site anymore, but here's a few points to clarify your ranting.

1) Junior team sent 13.8 to TCEC and wanted TCEC to use it.
2) It actually showed no problems during the limited testing phase (same with Pedone). Yes, the testing phase was way too short to have any meaningful impact.
3) I am fully aware that 13.8 is full of bugs and now, 2 years after release they have not bothered to fix it.
4) I am not in charge of TCEC, Chessdom are. I am simply operating the event the best I can.

Best,
Martin
whereagles

Post by whereagles »

I find it somewhat annoying to see people complaining about good stuff others do for them for FREE.

The world has 7 billion people. Not all can have it their way.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

whereagles wrote:I find it somewhat annoying to see people complaining about good stuff others do for them for FREE.

The world has 7 billion people. Not all can have it their way.
I guess that some of these people might have donated to TCEC at some stage, in which case they probably feel that their opinions might also be worth something.

However, in essence I agree.
gbanksnz at gmail.com