Best Up and Coming Chess Engine

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

TShackel

Best Up and Coming Chess Engine

Post by TShackel »

Hi all. I admit I have asked this question before but I hope you all wouldn't object to me asking the question again. I enjoy asking this periodically as each engine changes and evolves and develops at its own pace, so I could get different answers on different occasions from the same people due to a new revolutionary change that one engine may have had etc. I also hope to get new people to respond to my question as well that may have not responded before.

So my question is what do you think is the best up and coming chess engine that will challenge the big three's supremacy (houdini 4.0, Stockfish Dev. Version, and Komodo 9.1)? This can include both strength and/or engine style attributes.

Sincerely,

Tim.
supersharp77

Re: Best Up and Coming Chess Engine(s)

Post by supersharp77 »

Thanks for the question......easy to answer this one....Deep Shredder 13-14?
Hiarcs 15 and Fritz (Rybka powered) 15 !! Stay Tuned!!

ps. Crafty 25.0 ?!?!
cdani

Re: Best Up and Coming Chess Engine

Post by cdani »

For what I follow for the moment I don't see any. Of course there may be something hidden.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

TShackel wrote:Hi all. I admit I have asked this question before but I hope you all wouldn't object to me asking the question again. I enjoy asking this periodically as each engine changes and evolves and develops at its own pace, so I could get different answers on different occasions from the same people due to a new revolutionary change that one engine may have had etc. I also hope to get new people to respond to my question as well that may have not responded before.

So my question is what do you think is the best up and coming chess engine that will challenge the big three's supremacy (houdini 4.0, Stockfish Dev. Version, and Komodo 9.1)? This can include both strength and/or engine style attributes.

Sincerely,

Tim.
Hakkapeliitta 3.0 is currently about 390 Elo below Stockfish and Komodo.
It gained 200 Elo from 1.0 to 2.0
It gained 200 Elo from 2.0 to 3.0
So Hakkapeliitta 5.0 would be equal to them.
Of course, Komodo and Stockfish will also move forward.
So Hakkapeliitta 6.0 will maybe push for a title.

You may think that this is a sentimental favorite.

Nope, my sentimental favorite would be Gaviota, but I don't think Miguel has enough time to devote to it for world champion status.

Gull could certainly do it, but it seems that effort on Gull has stalled.

Protector and Texel both have a realistic shot.

I don't think Fabian wants to spend lots of time tuning Senpai, or it would be among the favorite contenders.

Deep Fritz 15, shrouded in mystery, is a dark horse.

Jonny is another engine that could conceivably do well, but I don't have enough data to really know. More of a wild, gut-guess.
reflectionofpower

Post by reflectionofpower »

Deep Fritz 15
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
Jim Collins

Post by Jim Collins »

Andscacs.
TShackel

Post by TShackel »

supersharp77 wrote:Thanks for the question......easy to answer this one....Deep Shredder 13-14?

ps. Crafty 25.0 ?!?!
Yes, that's interesting. I just wish these engines would be released ias UCI engines. Is Shredder UCI since Stefan created UCI? Fritz 15.0 is very exciting for me as well. But I have no way of knowing how much increased elo there might be between 14.0 and 15.0. And will this be a long-term relationship between chessbase and fritz and Vas Rajlich or will it be a short-erm contract like with Horvath.

Who knows. But thanks for your thoughts.

SIncerely,

Tim.
reflectionofpower

Post by reflectionofpower »

TShackel wrote:
supersharp77 wrote:Thanks for the question......easy to answer this one....Deep Shredder 13-14?

ps. Crafty 25.0 ?!?!
Yes, that's interesting. I just wish these engines would be released ias UCI engines. Is Shredder UCI since Stefan created UCI? Fritz 15.0 is very exciting for me as well. But I have no way of knowing how much increased elo there might be between 14.0 and 15.0. And will this be a long-term relationship between chessbase and fritz and Vas Rajlich or will it be a short-erm contract like with Horvath.

Who knows. But thanks for your thoughts.

SIncerely,

Tim.
Did CB part ways with Horvath? I presumed Vas & him were collaborating on DF 15 together?
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
TShackel

Post by TShackel »

Dann Corbit wrote:Hakkapeliitta 3.0 is currently about 390 Elo below Stockfish and Komodo.
It gained 200 Elo from 1.0 to 2.0
It gained 200 Elo from 2.0 to 3.0
So Hakkapeliitta 5.0 would be equal to them.
Of course, Komodo and Stockfish will also move forward.
So Hakkapeliitta 6.0 will maybe push for a title.

You may think that this is a sentimental favorite.

Nope, my sentimental favorite would be Gaviota, but I don't think Miguel has enough time to devote to it for world champion status.

Gull could certainly do it, but it seems that effort on Gull has stalled.

Protector and Texel both have a realistic shot.

I don't think Fabian wants to spend lots of time tuning Senpai, or it would be among the favorite contenders.

Deep Fritz 15, shrouded in mystery, is a dark horse.

Jonny is another engine that could conceivably do well, but I don't have enough data to really know. More of a wild, gut-guess.
I've heard good things form people about Hakkapelitta. That sounds like he's made good progress between each version. It's still has a way to go though and it gets much harder to improve elo as you move up teh scale so it won't be easy to maintain 200 elo per version.

Protector and texel are also interesting. I might might add Alfil 15.7 to that list as Alfil has been making very rapid progress as well. The only tihng with alfil is its evaluation goes all over the place as it analyzes and it's not as stable and sure of itself as stockfish and komodo.

Deep Fritz 15.0 excites me as well, but I wish there were a buy a UCI only option rather than have it embedded in an interface so you have to buy the whole chess program which is more expensive than just the engine. I already have several chessbase interfaces (i typically use rybka 4.0 interface which is fritz 12 interface which I like better than the more recent chessbase interfaces).

Thanks for your input.

Sincerely,

Tim.
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

TShackel wrote:I might might add Alfil 15.7 to that list as Alfil has been making very rapid progress as well. The only thing with alfil is its evaluation goes all over the place as it analyzes and it's not as stable and sure of itself as stockfish and komodo.
Add to that: