Windows 10 Experience

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

stevenaaus

Re: Windows 10 Experience

Post by stevenaaus »

Dann Corbit wrote:Mine, not so good.
You keep your cool better than me :)
I used their browser to try to install Open Office, since that is what I use for Word processing, etc. from home.

It told me that Open Office was not compatible and threw me away from the page.

OK, fine. I installed Firefox, and went back to the page.
I installed Open Office.
That was literally the only install that worked on my machine (every reinstall of a MS product has failed).
At least I have open office.
This sort of blatant deceit really makes by blood boil, and swear-words are just wasted on them.

Bring on the anti-monopoly cases round two. The first wave of fines obviously just made them laugh :(
chetday

Post by chetday »

I decided to stay with Windows 7 since Microsoft will continue to do security updates for several more years.

My 30-year old son, on the other hand, upgraded to Windows 10 at first opportunity. Unfortunately, since installing the latest version, he's had one problem after another, including an initial issue with the settings file not opening that required a Microsoft engineer to take remote control of his computer to fix the problem -- a fix that required four hours!

My son reported this morning that Google Hang-outs is hosed and not working properly in Chrome though it kind of words in Firefox, and that the sound quality of his headset is now totally in the toilet when before upgrading it was clear as crystal. Overall he's quite pissed off and really annoyed that he upgraded.
fern

Post by fern »

Chet, looks like this is a matter of luck. I had no a single problem, everything run smoothly, am happy with w10.

Fern
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

If you are using Windows 7 or earlier ... then I wouldn't change my OS. But if you are using Win 8 and still can't figure your way around that idiotic OS then certainly do change to Win 10. No wonder Microsoft made if a free update for Win 8 ... has to be the most asinine and stupid and frustrating OS ever designed by humanity. I am still waiting for something to come up like "pranked you" or "April Fools" for Win 8 ... but it seems like it was actually that way by design.
bob

Post by bob »

SzG wrote:
M ANSARI wrote:No wonder Microsoft made if a free update for Win 8 ...
Microsoft made it a free upgrade of Win 7 too...
Free with strings attached. As in they are going to sell all your browsing data, email data, web sites visited data, etc...
Robert Flesher

Post by Robert Flesher »

bob wrote:
SzG wrote:
Free with strings attached. As in they are going to sell all your browsing data, email data, web sites visited data, etc...

Huh? Can you give examples Bob?
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

fern wrote:Chet, looks like this is a matter of luck. I had no a single problem, everything run smoothly, am happy with w10.

Fern
Yes, there are how many tens or hundreds of millions of Windows installations in the world, some of the upgrades were bound to go wrong, and I feel sorry for those that have problems. But like you, my 2 machines went smoothly.

Of course on this forum, Microsoft-bashing is also fashionable, so expect lots of negativity.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

SzG wrote:
Are there editions in w10, Home, prof. etc.

I have win7 prof. what would it become if I update to w10?
cc2150dx
Full name: Jason Coombs

Post by cc2150dx »

Ferdy wrote:
SzG wrote:
Are there editions in w10, Home, prof. etc.

I have win7 prof. what would it become if I update to w10?
Windows 10 Professional

Source: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... a23?auth=1

regards,

cc2150dx