Windows 10 Experience

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Terry McCracken

Re: Windows 10 Experience

Post by Terry McCracken »

SzG wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote: Have you even paid attention to anything said by Dan or Bob or read the articles or MS Agreement??
I agree with Ingo here. Why whine over your privacy under W10 when you readily agree to whatever they require of you when you install anything on your Android phone?
You can at least limit their access on W10. You can't limit it on an Android.
I don't use software that is malware!
Terry McCracken
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Modern Times wrote:I once had a Ubuntu upgrade render my machine totally unable to boot, now that was fun. Fortunately I didn't lose any data, and my Windows install was unaffected.
Well, you will be easy to hack.
Terry McCracken
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

emadsen wrote:So I bought Stardock's Start10 button to completely hide the default Microsoft start button with its mishmash of classic and modern apps, distracting live tiles, etc. The Stardock start button is much cleaner.
When I first got Windows 8, I bought Start8 from Stardock. After a while, I decided not to try and bury myself in the past (i.e. make Win 8 look like Win7) so I uninstalled it, and ran Windows 8 and then 8.1 as it was intended to be. After an initial adjustment, I was quite happy with the look and feel of Windows 8 and how it operated. So I won't buy Start10, but it is entirely personal choice how you want the new Windows 10 to behave. I imagine some corporates who updated to Windows 8 may have installed Start8 to reduce the re-training effort, and maybe some will do the same with W10 / Start10 for the same reason.
bnemias

Post by bnemias »

SzG wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote: Have you even paid attention to anything said by Dan or Bob or read the articles or MS Agreement??
I agree with Ingo here. Why whine over your privacy under W10 when you readily agree to whatever they require of you when you install anything on your Android phone?
You can at least limit their access on W10. You can't limit it on an Android.
I've read this argument quite a bit recently. It completely misses the point. As an aside, I don't have a smartphone period. But even if I did, I use my desktop for desktop things. I've never had to worry about this kind of thing on my desktop before, so to be concerned about it now is very reasonable.

There's a new generation that is being conditioned to think privacy issues are no concern. That's not my problem. I take these concerns seriously even if others choose not to.

Also, by running the OS, you've agreed to the license agreement. That is a whole world of nasty because even if you turn that stuff off in settings, it could reappear and you have no legal recourse. And it doesn't address any settings that might be there which you can't adjust.
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

bnemias wrote: I've read this argument quite a bit recently. It completely misses the point. As an aside, I don't have a smartphone period. But even if I did, I use my desktop for desktop things. I've never had to worry about this kind of thing on my desktop before, so to be concerned about it now is very reasonable.

There's a new generation that is being conditioned to think privacy issues are no concern. That's not my problem. I take these concerns seriously even if others choose not to.
That is only part of the picture. Your ISP records every site you visit and every search you make, unless you use a VPN. Your browser records it all too, unless you turn that off. That is regardless of the O/S, and I don't believe Microsoft are any worse than the likes of Apple and Google. You have to have your wits about you in today's world, that is for sure.

Then of course there are external sites that hold your data, and there is not a lot you can do there either, if they get hacked. In the UK this week The Carphone Warehouse was hacked, with a couple of million customer details at risk.
bnemias

Post by bnemias »

Modern Times wrote:That is only part of the picture. Your ISP records every site you visit and every search you make, unless you use a VPN.
That's the key point, you can prevent it. Some people do you know.
Your browser records it all too, unless you turn that off. That is regardless of the O/S
So what? What matters is not the browser recording that data, but if that data gets sent somewhere.
and I don't believe Microsoft are any worse than the likes of Apple and Google.
?? This is exactly the point I was responding to, showing it to be a bad argument. Then you turn around and use exactly that.
Then of course there are external sites that hold your data, and there is not a lot you can do there either, if they get hacked.
I can demand that custodians of my data be accountable for bad security policy. I certainly don't blame the hackers.
Robert Flesher

Post by Robert Flesher »

bob wrote:
Robert Flesher wrote:
bob wrote:
SzG wrote:
M ANSARI wrote:No wonder Microsoft made if a free update for Win 8 ...
Microsoft made it a free upgrade of Win 7 too...
Free with strings attached. As in they are going to sell all your browsing data, email data, web sites visited data, etc...

Huh? Can you give examples Bob?
Have you not read any of the recent expose's on windows 10, all the stuff they are capturing. Part of it is enumerated earlier in this thread.

Dann filled me in, Linux here I come!

:wink:
Werner
Full name: Werner Schüle

Post by Werner »

I did now upgrade one of my test pcs from Windows 7 to Windows 10.
- I stopped Kaspersky till next start
- I deactivated Chessbasse 13 and activated it after upgrade.

I have had no problems - all programs are running ok.
Werner
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

Robert Flesher wrote: Dann filled me in, Linux here I come!

:wink:
Good luck with that !
Kyodai

Post by Kyodai »

Werner wrote:I did now upgrade one of my test pcs from Windows 7 to Windows 10.
- I stopped Kaspersky till next start
- I deactivated Chessbasse 13 and activated it after upgrade.

I have had no problems - all programs are running ok.

Does 'all programs are running ok' also include Chessmaster 11?