Windows 10 Experience

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Albert Silver

Re: Windows 10 Experience

Post by Albert Silver »

Dann Corbit wrote:
fern wrote:Damn, Dan, yours was an experience worthy of appearing in Paradise Lost by Milton.
What I cannot understand is that you, a wise man in comp things, so inadvertently went with the update, specially having so much delicate software.
I do these upgrades with a light heart because all I need is a word processor and my docs are in external disk and/or the cloud. Chess programs loaded OK and if not I would not have cared either.
BTW, LibreOffice is far better than the one you are using now.
Hope you can solve your troubles
a hug
Fern
My tragic error was that I trusted in my own ability to repair things, should something go wrong.
The problem is the solution may not exist yet. Drivers, updates, bug fixes and so on might still be beyond the horizon.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
fern

Post by fern »

I like that. Faster way to go to certain things appertaining to your stuff. But of course tastes are personal..

Fern
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Vinvin wrote:
Modern Times wrote:Yes, I've turned off all those settings where there are privacy concerns (real or imagined). No big deal.
I read some days ago that it's impossible to turn all them off.
I guess that they learned from google and facebook that you can get away with it.

So now I discover that not only did I get mugged, but they filmed it and are having a good laugh.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Albert Silver wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:
fern wrote:Damn, Dan, yours was an experience worthy of appearing in Paradise Lost by Milton.
What I cannot understand is that you, a wise man in comp things, so inadvertently went with the update, specially having so much delicate software.
I do these upgrades with a light heart because all I need is a word processor and my docs are in external disk and/or the cloud. Chess programs loaded OK and if not I would not have cared either.
a hug
Fern
My tragic error was that I trusted in my own ability to repair things, should something go wrong.
It's truly amazing all the things that the MS browser rejects.
It would not let me download 7-zip.
Incompatible, it said.

So I used fox, and installed it.

My next PC may have Linux as the startup OS.

The problem is the solution may not exist yet. Drivers, updates, bug fixes and so on might still be beyond the horizon.
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

Modern Times wrote:Yes I'm a big fan of it. I've upgraded both a Windows 7 and a Windows 8.1 machine so far.
I'm curious, were there any forced reboots or something of that nature, involving mandatory 'Windows updates'?

(What if your machine is not connected to the internet? Many testers keep their PC offline.)

Please keep us posted. :)

Thanks,
CL
bob

Post by bob »

Modern Times wrote:Yes, I've turned off all those settings where there are privacy concerns (real or imagined). No big deal.
SURE you have 'em all? As in the ones they have not documented, or the ones you can't disable? Our IT guys turned everything off and found an ALARMING level of network traffic with nobody logged in.

I'll stick with Linux...
bob

Post by bob »

Dann Corbit wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:
a hug
Fern
It's truly amazing all the things that the MS browser rejects.
It would not let me download 7-zip.
Incompatible, it said.

So I used fox, and installed it.

My next PC may have Linux as the startup OS.
You are getting wiser day by day. :) Say goodbye to viruses, malware, exposing private data, etc... And most specifically the Micro$oft approach that says "anything non-M$ should not run if we can prevent it." Back to the days of "DOS ain't done 'till Lotus won't run"...
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

bob wrote:
SURE you have 'em all? As in the ones they have not documented, or the ones you can't disable? Our IT guys turned everything off and found an ALARMING level of network traffic with nobody logged in.

I'll stick with Linux...
I find Windoze 10 simply scandalous, but it seems there was a lot more controversy about Win8 not having the Start button than something that is far more serious we're up against right now. :?

CL
bob

Post by bob »

carldaman wrote:
bob wrote:

I'll stick with Linux...
I find Windoze 10 simply scandalous, but it seems there was a lot more controversy about Win8 not having the Start button than something that is far more serious we're up against right now. :?

CL
I had been wondering for a while now why they were offering a free upgrade. Micro$oft NEVER gives anything away for free. Now we know. There are more strings attached than at a 10,000 puppet puppet show...

At least you know your personal information has value :)
bob

Post by bob »

carldaman wrote:
Modern Times wrote:Yes I'm a big fan of it. I've upgraded both a Windows 7 and a Windows 8.1 machine so far.
I'm curious, were there any forced reboots or something of that nature, involving mandatory 'Windows updates'?

(What if your machine is not connected to the internet? Many testers keep their PC offline.)

Please keep us posted. :)

Thanks,
CL
Never happen. If someone did an upgrade without at least a couple of reboots, there would be so many heart attacks around the world the ERs could never hope to keep pace.