Windows 10 Experience

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Robert Flesher

Re: Windows 10 Experience

Post by Robert Flesher »

Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Modern Times wrote:
fern wrote:Chet, looks like this is a matter of luck. I had no a single problem, everything run smoothly, am happy with w10.

Fern
Yes, there are how many tens or hundreds of millions of Windows installations in the world, some of the upgrades were bound to go wrong, and I feel sorry for those that have problems. But like you, my 2 machines went smoothly.

Of course on this forum, Microsoft-bashing is also fashionable, so expect lots of negativity.
Well, I am counting more negative experiences than positives here. If they were to constitute a small percentage, what would be the odds that they are more than 50% in a small sample? Possible but from the description of the problems it seems clear that many many things can go wrong. Has nothing to do with bashing, Bob's posts, okay, but that is not a user experience. Bob knows better than volunteer to have Microsoft take over his computer and wreck it completely free of charge... It seems clear that Microsoft did their best to make things as simple as possible. And if your current installation is uncomplicated, probably the "upgrade" will go smoothly. But if it encounters unexpected things, the simple procedure goes rather miserably wrong. Their browser does not install Open Office anymore, saying it is "incompatible" Blatant lies and you have to use Firefox to install it. And in the end that is the only software package that still works on Dann's computer. Are you sure this is just some upgrade out of millions. I am sure some people in Redmond are sweating by now, even if they try to repair the damage, like in Chet's case, it cost four hours, without charge so this is going to be rather expensive for Microsoft. But of course it is just two cases out of millions :(

No criticism of you Ray but I just think the people at Microsoft are not exactly happy right now, if they listen to their customers.
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan
bob

Post by bob »

Robert Flesher wrote:
bob wrote:
SzG wrote:
M ANSARI wrote:No wonder Microsoft made if a free update for Win 8 ...
Microsoft made it a free upgrade of Win 7 too...
Free with strings attached. As in they are going to sell all your browsing data, email data, web sites visited data, etc...

Huh? Can you give examples Bob?
Have you not read any of the recent expose's on windows 10, all the stuff they are capturing. Part of it is enumerated earlier in this thread.
bob

Post by bob »

Modern Times wrote:
fern wrote:Chet, looks like this is a matter of luck. I had no a single problem, everything run smoothly, am happy with w10.

Fern
Yes, there are how many tens or hundreds of millions of Windows installations in the world, some of the upgrades were bound to go wrong, and I feel sorry for those that have problems. But like you, my 2 machines went smoothly.

Of course on this forum, Microsoft-bashing is also fashionable, so expect lots of negativity.
You are looking at the wrong point of view. Windows has never been the most reliable system around. Never will. But that is a minor complaint compared to the blatant data-gathering and shipping it off to Micro$oft to do with as they please.

You might not want to bash thieves out of kindness, but you had better not invite them in your home. They are STILL thieves, don't forget. The browsers have gotten quite ugly in recent years, capturing what you do and then targeting you with various unwanted advertisements and "good deals"...
emadsen
Full name: Erik Madsen

Post by emadsen »

Faster, smoother, prettier, handy and every chess program works as a charm.
I upgraded with only one minor issue. I had to correct file permissions on a drive mounted to a folder, not a common scenario. Other than that, the upgrade went smoothly.

I like Win10 better than Win8. I still don't find metro / modern apps compelling on a desktop or notebook PC. On a phone or tablet, sure, but not on a real computer. So I bought Stardock's Start10 button to completely hide the default Microsoft start button with its mishmash of classic and modern apps, distracting live tiles, etc. The Stardock start button is much cleaner.
My C# chess engine: https://www.madchess.net
Robert Flesher

Post by Robert Flesher »

Robert Flesher wrote:

Thanks Dann, I was not following any of this, but I am not surprised. I almost thought Bob was kidding.
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

Eelco de Groot wrote:Their browser does not install Open Office anymore, saying it is "incompatible" Blatant lies and you have to use Firefox to install it.
Well I downloaded it with Edge and started the install, no such error messages here.
dark_wizzie
Full name: Erica Lin

Post by dark_wizzie »

Windows 10 is not 'faster' than Windows 7. Might be faster boot times, but more idle CPU usage. Tested this with chess ironically, on my netbook. Differences less than 5% but still. Not faster.
Dark_wizzie, aka Eric Lin. ABK book tester, crappy OTB player. Ex Chess2u mod. Likes pizza.
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Modern Times wrote:

Fern

Have you even paid attention to anything said by Dan or Bob or read the articles or MS Agreement??
Terry McCracken
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

I once had a Ubuntu upgrade render my machine totally unable to boot, now that was fun. Fortunately I didn't lose any data, and my Windows install was unaffected.