What will be the strongest engine at the end of the year?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

What will be the strongest engine at the end of the year?

Komodo
49%
Stockfish
32%
Houdini 5 ( if the project is still available )
1%
Deep Fritz 15
13%
Deep Shredder 13
1%
Deep Hiarcs 15
1%
Fire 5
1%

Total votes: 68

Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Re: The Shredder disaster!!

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Sorry,

this was a stat ... games undo move number 60.
But to see in all others of the around 50 stats you can find on my webpage.

Do you know what is really interesting ...
The opinion for around 10 years by grandmasters (Fritz to this time have the same problem with fast lost games ... newer versions by Frans Morsch search the draw way). Rybka isn't a attacker ... Comes all with the same strenght in Transposition into endgame and endgame.

Grandmaster at this time have the opinion ... we have only one chance vs. Computer chess engines. And this is the after the opening. Clear, if Shredder and Fritz has so many holes, Rybka is to passive and so one.

Only Junior at this time comes with a good tactic from the group of available commercial engines (with lower one's sights Hiarcs). Today all this is better to see as at the time the engines are available.

From this point of view the statement that engines in correspondence chess have around 2.500 Elo max. ... also a clear result grandmasters find out!

Today the situation is an other one.
Most correspondence chess games are draw (we all know why). Engines are stronger without all the holes after opening as for 5-10 years.

After a longer time Stefan not updated Shredder he must really do a lot. What you wrote here is ... to be a drop in the bucket.

Best
Frank

A test suite for engine development is easy to create. I have more as 400 fast lost games (up to move number 50 from Shredder, SWCR and FCT). The holes Shredder have are wonderful to see in open positions with many pieces on board. But perhaps it's a bug what Shredder do often!
supersteve3d

Re: Hm ... say the programmer which gave us the most ...

Post by supersteve3d »

Frank Quisinsky wrote:
38 years I am sitting at home and looking computerchess.
Why I must so long wait for such an engine?

Not important ...
Now I have it.
Hi Frank, I am just trying out 3.0 now. May I ask why you like it so much?
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Re: Hm ... say the programmer which gave us the most ...

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hi,

very aggressive playing style with many pieces on board. With the result that Hakkapeliitta produced more wonderful combinations as others. I reported a bit in messages to Hakkapeliitta test-run.

Absolutely clear ...
Should be "Must have" for analyzes after opening book moves undo middlegame. With lesser pieces on board engine lost strength and style.

Such a style is perfect for the work on my own book. The most intersting playing phase (after opening book moves with many pieces on board) is the early middlegame. Here much more nice ideas can be produced often hard to find for computer chess programs (the one and only Advantage stronger chess player have in playing vs. chess engines).

I like this engines so much, a good successor for the longer time not updated Junior and Spark ... much more aggressive as these cult engines.

Best
Frank

Replay all the fast won games ... with a bottle of wine!
Games can be found on my webpage (download games by Players selection).

I am sure you will understand what I mean ... for a good chess player it should be easy to see that.

Chess from an other planet ...

OK, Komodo and Stockfish produced also such games. I collect Long years interesting positions, have a big collection from nice attacking positions with many pieces on board. Hakkapeliitta can find more key-moves / best-moves as Stockfish and Komodo ... same results engine produced in my test-run.

Have fun with this wonderful piece of chess software.
Dann Corbit

Re: What will be the strongest engine at the end of the year

Post by Dann Corbit »

Robert Pope wrote:
Ralf Müller wrote:"Fire, (Firebird, Fire xTreme)
an UCI compliant chess engine by Norman Schmidt [1], until version 3.0 derived from IvanHoe and the Ippolit series of programs with some help of Milos Stanisavljevic. Initially called Firebird, and later renamed to Fire due to a trademark naming conflict [2], it was released as open source, Fire licensed under the GNU GPL. The sources were later closed with Windows executables available for download for recent Intel processors [3]. Fire features magic bitboards, it can be configured with more than 70 UCI options, and applies a SMP parallel search."
source: https://chessprogramming.wikispaces.com/Fire
homepage: http://chesslogik.wix.com/fire
How did this happen? It's my understanding that if you modify a program that has a GPL license, and distribute it in any way, you are required to release the source, as well.
If you are the original author, you can do as you like with future versions.

The last GPL version remains GPL, but you can make future versions that are closed source.

There are, of course, caveats.

If someone else has contributed to the project, then that version cannot become private. You would have to go back to a version where you were the sole contributor.