Alfil 15.7

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Werner
Full name: Werner Schüle

Re: Alfil 15.7

Post by Werner »

Werner wrote:Hi,
I did some more tests here on my Windows 7 64bit System (no Vista PC here running - so don´t know why the engine has problems here)

- Alfil 15.07 32bit and 64bit are running correct inside Arena 3.0 and Shredder GUI
- both Engines do not work correct inside Fritz GUI (tested Tournaments inside Fritz 13 GUI). The Gui crashes.

Your can analyze and after that play against the engine - but run no tournaments. Sorry - no trick here which can help.
I managed to get it to work inside Deep Fritz 14 GUI using an enginematch and in Fritz 11.
Werner
Ralf Müller

Post by Ralf Müller »

Is there a way under the Chessbase/Fritz-GUI? The UCI options show only "Threads" and "UCI_EngineAbout".
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Graham Banks wrote:
Werner wrote:
Werner wrote:Hi,
my actual solution to test Alfil 15.7 x64 1CPU is:
- avoid to start the engine new in the games (2-100 e.g.) I do this in Shredder GUI using engine matches (no tournaments)
- I manually set Affinity after the engine has calculated first time to CPU1 in the second match, to CPU 2 in the third match and CPU 3 in the fourth match.
regards
Werner
...and priority set to normal !

Werner
Thanks Werner,

this solution works with ChessGUI as well.

Graham.
Actually, it doesn't seem to hold these settings, so back to just one gauntlet per machine.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
TShackel

Post by TShackel »

Werner wrote:I managed to get it to work inside Deep Fritz 14 GUI using an enginematch and in Fritz 11.
Hi, I got Afil to work just fine in the fritz 12 interface for tournaments and everything. Had no problem with 4 cores usage either.

Sncerely,

Tim.
TShackel

Post by TShackel »

This engine Afil 15.7 I think had a lot of promise. It made a huge strength jump. Afil is now about the same strength as Rybka on cegt's 40/20 list. Am I correct Graham that Afil should be added to CCRL somewhat soon?

I really like the way this engine plays. It has a very good sense of strategy. It still is not as strong as the big three houdini stockfish and komodo, but it has made a huge increase and I like the style of the engine. I think there are many improvements that could be made though to make it play better strategy and stronger paritcuarly in closed positions.

Just my thoughts.

Sincerely,

Tim.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

TShackel wrote:This engine Afil 15.7 I think had a lot of promise. It made a huge strength jump. Afil is now about the same strength as Rybka on cegt's 40/20 list. Am I correct Graham that Afil should be added to CCRL somewhat soon?

I really like the way this engine plays. It has a very good sense of strategy. It still is not as strong as the big three houdini stockfish and komodo, but it has made a huge increase and I like the style of the engine. I think there are many improvements that could be made though to make it play better strategy and stronger paritcuarly in closed positions.

Just my thoughts.

Sincerely,

Tim.
Already there, just not with enough games yet to be established.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
peter
Full name: Peter Martan

Post by peter »

Alex_Schmidt wrote:Hi,
Same issue with Fritz 13 GUI. The message is: 0xc000007b (in German: "Die Anwendung kann nicht richtig initialisiert werden").
Same with Hiarcs CE 1.8 and Arena 3.0, in the latter one with the error- code you gave too.
DS12 says "this is not an UCI- engine", Hiarcs as well, DF14 simply doesn't install.
No .dll- file in unzipped folder.

Win7 Prox64.

Thanks to you and Werner
Peter.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

peter wrote:
Alex_Schmidt wrote:Hi,
Same issue with Fritz 13 GUI. The message is: 0xc000007b (in German: "Die Anwendung kann nicht richtig initialisiert werden").
Same with Hiarcs CE 1.8 and Arena 3.0, in the latter one with the error- code you gave too.
DS12 says "this is not an UCI- engine", Hiarcs as well, DF14 simply doesn't install.
No .dll- file in unzipped folder.

Win7 Prox64.

Thanks to you and Werner
This engine works for me in F13, and Arena.
It does not work in HCE, because after sending isready, the engine will respond with readyok, so HCE is also waiting.

I can make it work in HCE however by using the AquariumBookAdapter. The ABA successfully communicated with the HCE interface.

It seems this engine is manipulating the priority and cpu affinity.

There are more than 20 module/dll files associated when this engine runs.
Werner
Full name: Werner Schüle

Post by Werner »

Ferdy wrote:There are more than 20 module/dll files associated when this engine runs.
Hi,
how can you see that? Dependency Walker does show nothing here?
regards
Werner
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

Werner wrote:
Ferdy wrote:There are more than 20 module/dll files associated when this engine runs.
Hi,
how can you see that? Dependency Walker does show nothing here?
regards
I am on win7 prof. and using engine version of alfil.

Run the engine
Run Task manager
Reduce the priority of the engine
Select the performance tab in task manager
Press resource monitor
Resource monitor window will open,
Select CPU tab
Find the alfil engine and enable the checkbox on it
Then expand the associated module if it has not expanded yet.