Alfil 15.7

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Werner
Full name: Werner Schüle

Re: Alfil 15.7

Post by Werner »

Hi Enrique,
the solution you use at the moment is not good for testing. I discovered when running one Alfil engine standard with 1CPU - I get problems with the other programs on the quad. E.g. when I use Internet Explorer at the same time it does not scoll smoothly (this happens not when Alfil is not computing).
So what happens with the other chess programs I am running parallel on the quad??
I must be sure other engines are not hurt when running Alfil on the quad.

My other chess engines (version 15.4 too) are using CPU 0-3 even when running only one match on the pc - this is normal for me. And when I am running 4 matches parallel - CPU using is 100 %. And when I run Alfil with 1CPU configured - I want to see 25% CPU using - not more.

Can you go back how you did it with earlier versions?

The new version is very strong - I really want to test it -I will try if there is a method not to hurt other engines or programs .

regards
Werner
Werner
Werner

Post by Werner »

Hi,
my actual solution to test Alfil 15.7 x64 1CPU is:

- avoid to start the engine new in the games (2-100 e.g.) I do this in Shredder GUI using engine matches (no tournaments)

- I manually set Affinity after the engine has calculated first time to CPU1 in the second match, to CPU 2 in the third match and CPU 3 in the fourth match.

regards
Werner
mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Post by mar »

esacosta wrote:It´s a good solution for you? You must wait to the next version.
Why should he wait? :roll: That's just a couple of lines for you.
Messing with affinity is ok if you know what you're doing.

Not sure it's ok when only 1 thread is running - how did you test your engine with this?!

Also, you set affinity for CPU0, CPU1 when the user asks for 2 thread.
But for people with hyperthreading on, CPU0 = physical0 logical0, CPU1 = physical0 logical1,
so messing with affinity this way when HT is on will actually hurt your program significantly instead of helping,
because both threads will run on one physical core!
So you should better make it off by default.
Werner

Post by Werner »

Werner wrote:Hi,
- avoid to start the engine new in the games (2-100 e.g.) I do this in Shredder GUI using engine matches (no tournaments)
- I manually set Affinity after the engine has calculated first time to CPU1 in the second match, to CPU 2 in the third match and CPU 3 in the fourth match.
regards
Werner
...and priority set to normal !

Werner
Alex_Schmidt

Post by Alex_Schmidt »

Hi Enrique,
I tried to install Alfil (32 and 64 bit - "Portable" and "Engine" version from your web site) with Arena 3.5 on Windows Vista 64 bit. In all cases I receive an error. The third attempt to install the "Windows" option the installation is being aborted by the anti-virus software.
Since I seem to be the only one with such problems, do you have a hint for me?
Best regards, Alex
Werner

Post by Werner »

Hi Alexander,
as it is not Arena 3.5 (tested here on Windows 7) - it could be Windows Vista and a missing file or a wrong dll.
Do you see any results using depends ?
Werner
Werner
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Werner wrote:
Werner wrote:Hi,
regards
Werner
...and priority set to normal !

Werner
Thanks Werner,

this solution works with ChessGUI as well.

Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
peter
Full name: Peter Martan

Post by peter »

Werner wrote:Hi Alexander,
as it is not Arena 3.5 (tested here on Windows 7) - it could be Windows Vista and a missing file or a wrong dll.
Do you see any results using depends ?
Werner
Hi Werner!
Which dll and where to get it from?
Shredder 12 and chessbase doesn't work for me with Win7 neither, 15.4 did
Peter.
Alex_Schmidt

Post by Alex_Schmidt »

Hi,
Same issue with Fritz 13 GUI. The message is: 0xc000007b (in German: "Die Anwendung kann nicht richtig initialisiert werden").
Werner

Post by Werner »

Hi,
I did some more tests here on my Windows 7 64bit System (no Vista PC here running - so don´t know why the engine has problems here)

- Alfil 15.07 32bit and 64bit are running correct inside Arena 3.0 and Shredder GUI
- both Engines do not work correct inside Fritz GUI (tested Tournaments inside Fritz 13 GUI). The Gui crashes.

Your can analyze and after that play against the engine - but run no tournaments. Sorry - no trick here which can help.
Werner