THE upset of the WC: Maverick-Komodo drawn!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Modern Times

Re: THE upset of the WC: Maverick-Komodo drawn!

Post by Modern Times »

Thanks - that would be pretty amazing if so - three different engines winning the three titles.
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

Why not. A championship is boring when all titles go to the same team.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Steve Maughan

Post by Steve Maughan »

Jeroen wrote:In the WCSC Maverick just held Komodo to a well deserved draw! What a major upset :-).

After 20 moves white was simply better, in the end Komodo had zero chances for a win. Really, its book is killing the performance here, there is no denying.....

Congrats to Steve Maughan!
Many thanks! Of course I'm delighted with today's result.

And my condolences to Mark, Erdo and Larry.

The game's result was really a statistical aberration. The difference in strength really is about 800 ELO. This implies Maverick should score 1% - maybe two draws out of 100 games. It just so happened that today's game was one of those draws.

I'll be making the Leiden engine available, although it's only about 20 ELO stronger than version 1.0.

- Steve
http://www.chessprogramming.net - Maverick Chess Engine
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Steve Maughan wrote:
Jeroen wrote:In the WCSC Maverick just held Komodo to a well deserved draw! What a major upset :-).

After 20 moves white was simply better, in the end Komodo had zero chances for a win. Really, its book is killing the performance here, there is no denying.....

Congrats to Steve Maughan!
Many thanks! Of course I'm delighted with today's result.

And my condolences to Mark, Erdo and Larry.

The game's result was really a statistical aberration. The difference in strength really is about 800 ELO. This implies Maverick should score 1% - maybe two draws out of 100 games. It just so happened that today's game was one of those draws.

I'll be making the Leiden engine available, although it's only about 20 ELO stronger than version 1.0.

- Steve
I think that books can reduce the elo difference relative to CCRL conditions.
IanO

Post by IanO »

hgm wrote:Ginkgo. It plays Maverick and Fridolin in the last 2 rounds. The others all have very tough opponents.
Yes, Gingko has had an outstanding performance for a new engine in all three championships. In fact, I would call Gingko+Hiarcs and Komodo=Gingko the deciding upsets of the tournament.

Could we get some more info on Gingko? Besides going from 0x88 to bitboards, are there any other notable improvements compared to Anaconda?

Though if Shredder beats Jonny, I would favor it in the blitz playoff.
IanO

Post by IanO »

IanO wrote:If Shredder beats Jonny, I would favor it in the blitz playoff.
Anyone know what the time controls are for the playoff games? The first two looked like 20+10. Is it now 5+5?