TCEC 8 in August

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

TCEC 8 in August

Post by zullil »

RJN

Re: TCEC 8 in August

Post by RJN »

Great news. Thanks for the heads up.
i7-5930K @4.5GHz, H100i Hydro Cooler, 64GB DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum @3000MHz, ASUS X99 Deluxe mboard, 1TB EVO 850 SSD
Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Post by Vinvin »

Still 1,5 month to wait :roll:
cdani

Post by cdani »

Nice!

I hope Andscacs can play :-)
Lyudmil Tsvetkov

Post by Lyudmil Tsvetkov »

Man, I knew it: TCEC is ready, the engines are not ready.

Besides SF and Komodo there is no real competition, so I do not expect an interesting season. It would be completely different thing, if there were 2-3 other engines the level of SF and Komodo, then 5-10 times more people would follow TCEC, as the competition would be simply gorgeous. But with such dull competitors no big expectations.

One thing I would wish for the next season is a book roughly along the lines of the one we saw in stage 4 of last season, and not the one with which the final was played. Big difference indeed. The quality of chess in stage 4 was indeed much much higher.
JJJ

Post by JJJ »

What do we know about the machine ?
elpapa
Full name: Patrik Karlsson

Post by elpapa »

JJJ wrote:What do we know about the machine ?
Nothing, except that it will be badass.
Henk

Post by Henk »

Each time Skipper plays against Stockfish it is a slaughter game. First few games are funny but after that it looks like it is all the same and interest is gone.
whereagles

Post by whereagles »

True that Komodo and Stockfish currently dominate, but those are not the only engines undergoing upgrades, so maybe we'll see some surprises in S8.

And if Martin can crank out the 32-core beast, more stuff can happen :)
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:Man, I knew it: TCEC is ready, the engines are not ready.

Besides SF and Komodo there is no real competition, so I do not expect an interesting season. It would be completely different thing, if there were 2-3 other engines the level of SF and Komodo, then 5-10 times more people would follow TCEC, as the competition would be simply gorgeous. But with such dull competitors no big expectations.

One thing I would wish for the next season is a book roughly along the lines of the one we saw in stage 4 of last season, and not the one with which the final was played. Big difference indeed. The quality of chess in stage 4 was indeed much much higher.
I get great intrigue in seeing old giants being made to look like patzers, in comparrison with the most recent improvements.

Only then can we see that we are getting somewhere.

And for this reason too, I'd love to see Rybka 4.1 in it as well.

I wouldn't mind seeing Rybka 3 also.