Komodo 9.1 Release

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Re: No test, from my site ...

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

"Testing groups are encouraged to treat this as a new version, as the changes are significant."

1. Made no sense for myself. I have to start again a test-run with Komodo 9.1 and Stockfish dev. for creating a serious information for others (Fight for Place 1). To do that max. 2 times in the year is enough, and not each 2 months.

Easy, so many other engines are to test. The World isn't Komodo / Stockfish alone.

2. To expensive for me. Coast for elektricity, Komodo itself and of course if I test each version ... not fast enough of a tree ... I must added more of my systems for my rating list. All this made no sense.

---

But for the group of interesting users very nice to have very fast a new version of Komodo if users like that. Honestly, I am looking more in a lot of engines and Komodo again and again is more or less boring for me. And all this for maybe 10 Elo ...

BTW1:
But the still running "Fight for Place 1" is interesting. Stockfish have a little Advantage with standard settings. A bigger advantage if I set for SF dev. "Contemp = 7" (find it out on my other test systems). With the next Fight for Place 1 I will set for SF dev "Contemp = 7". Maybe if Komodo 9.5 or Komodo 10 is available.

BTW2:
All the SF changes are significant and we can't test it each day.

Best
Frank
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

Frank Quisinsky wrote:"Testing groups are encouraged to treat this as a new version, as the changes are significant."

1. Made no sense for myself. I have to start again a test-run with Komodo 9.1 and Stockfish dev. for creating a serious information for others (Fight for Place 1). To do that max. 2 times in the year is enough, and not each 2 months.
We each have to decide for ourselves how frequently to test. We aren't compelled to test each new version. As you say, there are other engines too, so you have to prioritise as you see fit. I'm sure they are happy with whatever you decide to do.
stagehand

Re: Komodo 9.1 Release

Post by stagehand »

Could you please look at the download site. Microsoft is giving warnings about the site being unsafe
I did overcome the problem but even with my subscription etc it was not very easy
IWB

Post by IWB »

lkaufman wrote: ...
It was partly for technical reasons, but also because we are pulling further ahead of the competition so it seemed reasonable to try harder to avoid draws.
How would/will you set it vs opponents of unknown strength? ;-)

Bye
Ingo
Frank Quisinsky

Hi Ray,

from my site bigger changes are to do (my new League 2 system).

Komodo can wait ...
A new "Fight for Place 1" is a half year later much more interesting as two months later.

The danger is ...
The visitors to be tired of such a "Fight" ... if I do that to often. Furthermore for, 10-15 Elo more (not easy to test it out ... means only 10-15 Elo) it's not very interesting.

The organization is very important in working on a good rating list. Often it's boring to follow, means what I do with adding older engines. But for the future my work have much more power if I have all important engines in my TOP-42.

Thanks again for your interest!

And good luck with all the updates (Versions: 9.01, 9.02, 9.1 and what comming ever will be available next times) for the Komodo team.

Best
Frank
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

lkaufman wrote:We have just released Komodo 9.1, the first strength upgrade from Komodo 9.01/9.02. It is free for those with subscriptions. Non subscribers may order it at full price, or, if they have purchased Komodo 8 or 9, at a 20% discount.
We estimate that the elo gain over Komodo 9.01 (or 9.02) is about 15 on single core. This is based on a +16 elo result in a direct matchup at 2' +1" after 8600 games, plus similar gains based on testing at this level against Stockfish 6. We believe we have improved MP a bit and so would expect the gain to be perhaps 20 on 4 or more cores, but there has not yet been time to confirm this.
As usual, the gains come from many areas. Many eval weights were re-tuned, some free speedups were found, lmr was refined, and a change was made to MP search that appears to be beneficial. The readme file has more details.
Please allow a day for the information on the website to be fully updated, but ordering should work properly now.
Testing groups are encouraged to treat this as a new version, as the changes are significant.
Thank You, Komodo Team ! You ROCK !
As you may recall, I was one of the first people who suggested a Subscription system.
I must say that this is really paying off for loyal Komodo fans like me, who purchased the $ 100 1 year subscription ! :D
Now, all that is left to do is finding a better Protection System, to at least discourage the hackers !
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
TShackel

Post by TShackel »

Frank Quisinsky wrote:Hi Ray,

from my site bigger changes are to do (my new League 2 system).

Komodo can wait ...
A new "Fight for Place 1" is a half year later much more interesting as two months later.

The danger is ...
The visitors to be tired of such a "Fight" ... if I do that to often. Furthermore for, 10-15 Elo more (not easy to test it out ... means only 10-15 Elo) it's not very interesting.

The organization is very important in working on a good rating list. Often it's boring to follow, means what I do with adding older engines. But for the future my work have much more power if I have all important engines in my TOP-42.

Thanks again for your interest!

And good luck with all the updates (Versions: 9.01, 9.02, 9.1 and what comming ever will be available next times) for the Komodo team.

Best
Frank
Frank,

Seriously, don't burden mark or larry with your lack of desire to test Komodo. Just decide what you want to do and do it! I don't want Larry or Mark thinking we the komodo customers aren't grateful for the subscription service. The vast majority of us want the subscription service, and we're happy that Mark and Larry gave us what we want. Seriously, most of us will pay for komodo 9.0 and down the road komodo 10.0 perhaps, so why not get all the updates free too at a discounted price of 80.00? I for one am happy to test a 15-20 elo imprvement. I told myself I'd wait to test the next version until it was 15-20 elo above Komodoo 9.0 anad not before. That's my personal choice. I don't whine and complain about it, I just do it. I'm thankful for the subscription service because it gives quarterly updates which is a bit more frequent than their normal releases.

Keep up the good work Mark and Larry.

Tim.
Frank Quisinsky

Testing groups are encouraged to treat this as a new version, as the changes are significant."

That was the reason for my message!
Read it before!

And for you ...
You are a great fan of Komodo, easy to see if I read your comments. Thats good because you are right, Komodo is great and its a wonderful situation for all users of Komodo to have dev. versions faster.

Have fun with Komodo!
All ist OK ...

:-)

Best
Frank

PS:
My latest "Fight for Place 1" follows around 1.000 different IPs in the two weeks the fight is still running. I think I should write that I will do that not to often. If so ... for 10-15 Elo ... it's very boring with time. Should be an event and not a standard each two weeks.
Robert Flesher

Post by Robert Flesher »

MikeB wrote:
Robert Flesher wrote:
WOW! I just recently purchased Komodo 9.01. This is a very fast improvement, but it also seems like a slap if the face of those of did not pay the one year subscription. It seems like a very clever way to make people feel like they should have purchased the one year option. As a long time customer, and a beta tester ( gave CPU time to help development) I did not expect this. Simple math seems to say, be cheap, get F*****. Funny Don once gave me a free copy of 8.0 when we had purchase troubles, I declined and still made the purchase. Times have changed. IMHO
Sounds like you should have gone with the subscription plan -- Larry is a very reasonable person and i'm sure if you asked nicely and told him how you blew it , he would let you convert the single copy purchase to a subscription plan by paying the difference.

Indeed, but, even though I did state my opinion ; I knew I would purchase the upgraded engine either way. :wink:
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Frank Quisinsky wrote:"Testing groups are encouraged to treat this as a new version, as the changes are significant."

Easy, so many other engines are to test. The World isn't Komodo / Stockfish alone.

2. To expensive for me. Coast for elektricity, Komodo itself and of course if I test each version ... not fast enough of a tree ... I must added more of my systems for my rating list. All this made no sense.

---

But for the group of interesting users very nice to have very fast a new version of Komodo if users like that. Honestly, I am looking more in a lot of engines and Komodo again and again is more or less boring for me. And all this for maybe 10 Elo ...

BTW1:
But the still running "Fight for Place 1" is interesting. Stockfish have a little Advantage with standard settings. A bigger advantage if I set for SF dev. "Contemp = 7" (find it out on my other test systems). With the next Fight for Place 1 I will set for SF dev "Contemp = 7". Maybe if Komodo 9.5 or Komodo 10 is available.

BTW2:
All the SF changes are significant and we can't test it each day.

Best
Frank
Most SF changes are not significant; they either have no effect on play or are worth just a couple elo. But the total after a couple months is significant.
We would give you a free copy If you decide to test 9.1, but as for the cost of electricity I can only propose that you move to America, where it is cheap :)

Best,
Larry
Komodo rules!